Dominican Wins Cy Young Award!!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Dominican born and Los Angeles Angels pitcher, Bartolo Colon, won the Cy Young award yesterday making him the "best" pitcher in the American League.

With a record of 21 wins and 8 loses, Colon received 118 votes. Panamanian Mariano Rivera recieved 68 and Venezuelan Johan Santana received 51.

Not bad!.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Colon helped guide the Angels to the west division titile and the divisional series win over the Yankees.

Congrats to Colon. His contract states that if he won the cy young, he would get an extra $500K. Not bad at all! :classic:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Here I go again!

Hlywud said:
Makes him the Cy Young Award winner, not necessarily the best in Baseball, what about the National League winner. How do now distinquish the Best, they both won the Cy Young Award? He didnt fare to well in playoffs if my mind serves me right.
I don't know if you are quoting me but if you are:

On my post, I never, ever said that he was the best in baseball. If you go back and re-read my post, I wrote "making him the "best" pitcher in the American League". Note where it says "American League". Also note how I wrote best, I wrote "best".

If the Writers Association Of America say that he is the best in the American League, that works for me.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Hlywud said:
Makes him the Cy Young Award winner, not necessarily the best in Baseball, what about the National League winner. How do now distinquish the Best, they both won the Cy Young Award? He didnt fare to well in playoffs if my mind serves me right.

YES, did very well in the regular season.But he got shelled and then come up with the excuse to get the.....HOOK on his own behalf.... just another BUUUM LIKE MANNY.

Will probably never know who is the best due to judging.:cry:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
fko1 said:
I wonder if he'll try and eat the award..........
Hahaha!! Funnniest thing I've read yet today. He's a fat bastard, he'll probably tell the award "get in mah belly!!!"

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Come one!!

Jon S. said:
Hahaha!! Funnniest thing I've read yet today. He's a fat bastard, he'll probably tell the award "get in mah belly!!!"
Why are you calling him names?.

I am not a big fan of his but he is a good pitcher, fat or not!.

I gather that you are not Dominican, right?. If you were, you would be a little happy for the guy, fat bastard or not.

Btw, his mother and father are together so that makes him NOT a bastard.

Btw 2, that "fat bastard" like you call him, is a multi-millonaire that won a great award that will put another 500,000 dollars in his bank account.

Trust me, many would love to switch places with that "fat bastard" right now.

Ps: Don't come back saying that you said it as a joke. To Dominicans, it was not a joke!.

Ps 2: Can we stick to the topic?.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Colon won despite an injured back during the season. He pitched through a lot of pain. And he lead the Angels to the western division title.

If Colon was not in the Angels team, then the A's would have won the division.

A well-deserved award for Colon. :classic:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
easygoin said:
YES, did very well in the regular season.But he got shelled and then come up with the excuse to get the.....HOOK on his own behalf.... just another BUUUM LIKE MANNY.

Will probably never know who is the best due to judging.:cry:

Talk about player hatin'

I can't wait for the "world series" to take place. When is that supposed to happen anyhow? The DR will have in its roster a bunch of BUUUM's like you call them, such as Pedro, Bartolo, Manny, Pujols, Vladimir, Soriano, A-Rod (maybe), etc...

Yep a whole team of BUUUMS...I'm sure we'll end up at the bottom of the playoffs...

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Not a hater at all

suarezn said:
Talk about player hatin'

I can't wait for the "world series" to take place. When is that supposed to happen anyhow? The DR will have in its roster a bunch of BUUUM's like you call them, such as Pedro, Bartolo, Manny, Pujols, Vladimir, Soriano, A-Rod (maybe), etc...

Yep a whole team of BUUUMS...I'm sure we'll end up at the bottom of the playoffs...

I just don't like hot dogs, non team players, quitters, or excuse makers.

I can't wait for the World Series to begin and then talk after it's all over.:eek: :eek:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Wow, got your panties in a bunch?

I am Dominican born, US raised, did high school in DR and moved back to the States a few years ago to serve my country so I'm pretty familiar with things down there. I was just there in April and will go again in December to relieve some Iraq stress, LOL......

I was aware that he won the Cy Young and actually told a few friends that "one of our guys won again, take that suckers!!" My exact words, matter of fact. He's a good guy, my father has known him for years so if I say something like this, it's tongue-in-cheek. I called him fat bastard because the first thought in my mind when I read the post was "Fat Bastard" from the Austin Powers movies and their similarly rotund waistlines. And yes, I know his parents are together as well. That's good that he's earning his paycheck despite his injuries. A few million dollars is a good thing, relaxes the mind to know that you can provide for your family if need be. And I'll still say what I feel, joke or not, just like you do on all your other posts on the message boards here. We all know you're a great guy so if you think this was an insult to Mr. Colon or any other player in the MLB, that was not the intent. They're usually good people too, although some get too cocky but that's just a human thing, not solely related to the DR. And yes, let's get back to the topic at hand. Good luck to Mr. Colon in the future as well.

Take care and take it easy once in a while
Jonathan

miguel said:
Why are you calling him names?.

I am not a big fan of his but he is a good pitcher, fat or not!.

I gather that you are not Dominican, right?. If you were, you would be a little happy for the guy, fat bastard or not.

Btw, his mother and father are together so that makes him NOT a bastard.

Btw 2, that "fat bastard" like you call him, is a multi-millonaire that won a great award that will put another 500,000 dollars in his bank account.

Trust me, many would love to switch places with that "fat bastard" right now.

Ps: Don't come back saying that you said it as a joke. To Dominicans, it was not a joke!.

Ps 2: Can we stick to the topic?.

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Sure!

Jon S. said:
I am Dominican born, US raised, did high school in DR and moved back to the States a few years ago to serve my country so I'm pretty familiar with things down there. I was just there in April and will go again in December to relieve some Iraq stress, LOL......

I was aware that he won the Cy Young and actually told a few friends that "one of our guys won again, take that suckers!!" My exact words, matter of fact. He's a good guy, my father has known him for years so if I say something like this, it's tongue-in-cheek. I called him fat bastard because the first thought in my mind when I read the post was "Fat Bastard" from the Austin Powers movies and their similarly rotund waistlines. And yes, I know his parents are together as well. That's good that he's earning his paycheck despite his injuries. A few million dollars is a good thing, relaxes the mind to know that you can provide for your family if need be. And I'll still say what I feel, joke or not, just like you do on all your other posts on the message boards here. We all know you're a great guy so if you think this was an insult to Mr. Colon or any other player in the MLB, that was not the intent. They're usually good people too, although some get too cocky but that's just a human thing, not solely related to the DR. And yes, let's get back to the topic at hand. Good luck to Mr. Colon in the future as well.

Take care and take it easy once in a while
Jonathan
Off hand, I talk as a baseball fan and not as a Dominican player fan.

As I said before, I am not a big fan of Colon but just because I am not a fan of his, does not mean that as a Dominican, I would not be happy for him, as I can see that you are, also, only after reading your second post.

After reading your post, and not before, I understand what you meant.

Btw, I know the stress that a war can have on a person. My cousin has been serving his country (US) in the Army for the last 30 odd years and has been in basically ALL wars dating back to 1974(meaning that he enlisted in 1974 or 75).

Me a great guy, are you kidding me?. Man, you are listening to the wrong people!!. LOL.

Btw, I still think that the US team is the team to beat!.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
The US team will be the team to beat, but I think the only team that has a chance to beat them is the Dominican team...specially when they are playing "por la patria". That alone can provide a lot of inspiration. The only weak spot for The DR will be the catcher position andpitching to some extent, because we won't have four Pedros or Bartolos. We will have the best power line up EVER assembled. The US will have the best pitching lineup, but these guys can hit ANY pitcher in the majors.

This is just an incredible power hitting team. I just hope egos don't get in the way. Imagine Vlad bats first, Manny second, A-Rod third, Pujols 4th, Ortiz 5th, Soriano 6th, Castillo 7th, and so on. When you have Sammy or Aramis batting 8th I think you have a good chance to win it all.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
i'm from the old school

suarezn said:
The US team will be the team to beat, but I think the only team that has a chance to beat them is the Dominican team...specially when they are playing "por la patria". That alone can provide a lot of inspiration. The only weak spot for The DR will be the catcher position andpitching to some extent, because we won't have four Pedros or Bartolos. We will have the best power line up EVER assembled. The US will have the best pitching lineup, but these guys can hit ANY pitcher in the majors.

This is just an incredible power hitting team. I just hope egos don't get in the way. Imagine Vlad bats first, Manny second, A-Rod third, Pujols 4th, Ortiz 5th, Soriano 6th, Castillo 7th, and so on. When you have Sammy or Aramis batting 8th I think you have a good chance to win it all.

in that GOOD PITCHING beats good hitting.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Lookie here!

suarezn said:

Camarada, the DR WILL have a very good team, very intimidating, but for every good player the DR's team have, there are 10 good American players, imo.

When I played college ball, 100 years ago, I was an ok player. I used to get a few hits here and there. I Did not strike out a lot (maybe once in 50 at-bats). But one of the colleges that we played against, they had a pitcher named Jeffrey and that kid used to strike me out 4 times out of 5 at-bats!. I was his fricking "bitch". Crap, our best hitter, a guy who batted about .400 all the time, Jeffrey would make him look like a 2 year old kid. Why?.

Because a good pitcher controls the whole game!.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Agree with part of your post. Pitching normally beats hitting (we just saw the sox win with good pitching), but remember The DR's pitching is not too shabby either.

I don't agree when you say that for every player The DR has The US has Ten. Just go through that roster that I mentioned and tell me are there 10 first basemen comparable to Albert Pujols? Can you name 10 pinch hitters comparable to David Ortiz? How about 10 second basemen that can even come close to A-Rod?

Other than pitching and catcher every player in The Dominican team is at the top of its class. Either the best or one of the two or three bests.

All you have to do is look at the stats and you'll see that in every category (except for pitching) two or three out of the top five are Latin players with the majority being Dominicans.

So...The US will be the team to beat. The DR is the only other team with a chance to beat them (Venezuela would have a slim chance) and I expect it to be a very exciting series.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Good Hitters stats go way down

suarezn said:
Agree with part of your post. Pitching normally beats hitting (we just saw the sox win with good pitching), but remember The DR's pitching is not too shabby either.

I don't agree when you say that for every player The DR has The US has Ten. Just go through that roster that I mentioned and tell me are there 10 first basemen comparable to Albert Pujols? Can you name 10 pinch hitters comparable to David Ortiz? How about 10 second basemen that can even come close to A-Rod?

Other than pitching and catcher every player in The Dominican team is at the top of its class. Either the best or one of the two or three bests.

All you have to do is look at the stats and you'll see that in every category (except for pitching) two or three out of the top five are Latin players with the majority being Dominicans.

So...The US will be the team to beat. The DR is the only other team with a chance to beat them (Venezuela would have a slim chance) and I expect it to be a very exciting series.

when they are up against good pitching. A good pitcher cannot have his good stuff all the time and he will know that.BUT it is the experienced catcher that sees it first, and therefore calling the game on what is actually working for his pitcher, and also insight from the pitching and bullpen coach prior to his start.

So if you start off with OK pitching and catching.... you're behind the eight ball to begin with.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Mea culpa!

suarezn said:

Actually, I was not comparing them per position.

All I was trying to say is that if the DR has 1 good player, the US has 10.

Yes, the DR's pitching is not shabby but besides Colon and Marinez, can you name me 3 more good pitchers that can be consistent.

Let me name a few names of pitchers that can represent the American team.

Let's start with the National League Cy Young winner:

Chris Carpenter, winner of 21 games,
Dontrelle Willis, winner of 22 games,
Oswalt, winner of 20 games,
Chris Capuano, winner of 18 games,
Garland, " " 18 games,
Cliff Lee, " " 18 games,
Randy Johnson, " " 17 games,
and those with no less than 15 wins: Clemens, Buehrle, Petitte, Millwood and Washburn.

And if that was not enough, there are a few closers that did not do to bad:

Bob Wickman, 45 saves
Joe Nathan, 43
T. Hoffman, 43
Lidge, 42
Todd Jones, 40
D. Turnbow, 39
Isringhauser, 39
Billy Wagner, 38
and many, many others with 30-35 saves.

Again, the US is the team to beat, IMO.

I do agree with you, the DR should come in second. I must say that when it comes to competitions, the DR players CAN "pump up the volume".

Last edited: