What type of actions offend Dominicans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Hello everyone :)

I hope all of you are doing well.

Anyway, what type of actions offend Dominicans?

For example, if you present a clock (as a present) to a Chinese person, it will offend him/her (I do not remember why but I think that a clock means "death". :cross-eye ).

Another example, never use red ink with Koreans. Because red ink means death. So if you are signing a multi-million-dollar deal with your Korean partners, then the last thing you want to do is sign it with a red-ink pen!!!

What about the Dominicans?

Thank you. ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This could be interesting. I can't think of any that are comparable to your examples but stuff that came to mind included smoking in most public places, and public displays of affection.

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Expats judging, name calling and bashing dominicans. I have seen my partner, dominican personnel and dominican friends get really "encacatados" and even saying you dont like it you better get the hell out of here, which I have always thought is tough.

They loose peace on that.

Jess

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Chirimoya would you please be so kind as to explain as to what type of affection in public you are talking about? I am asking because I am really interested in knowing what the Dominican mind set is on this subject. In my time here I must admit that it is very rare to see Dominican husband or novio and wife or novia hold hands much less walk side by side so therefore a kiss would seem to be impossible.

Is this something that Dominicans are openly taught as they are growing up or is this something that is learned to be taboo due to a lack of example being displayed? I would characterize this as a custom and would then ask those on the board if they think this is a good or bad custom to practice?

Rick

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't Wear "Shorts" in public!

That is only for "Chopa/os",and "Ignorant Foreigners!!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Flamingojohn

Nov 11, 2005
PDA's

OK...I may be a stupid American, but I have been living here for 6 months now and plan on being here for the forseeable future. Why would Dominicans have a problem with PDA's(Public Display of Affection) when they don't seem to have a problem with people urinating and bathing in public?? I can't count how many people I have seen relieving themselves on the side of the road in plain sight or how many people I've seen bathing in the public fountains.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I'm sorry Flamingojohn, lol lol lol, but I can't see how urniating or bathing in public has anything to do with affection unless it is self affection. Sorry but I just had to say that.

Rick

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
You know what's funny about the 'shorts in public' thing? I, for one, believe it's a generational issue. When I living there, I sure as hell saw alot of younger folks wearing shorts, mostly surfing shorts, as if they would be going to the beach at any given moment. It didn't matter if you were rich or not, the shorts were being used all the time. I distinctly remember that whenever I would go with a friend to visit the daughter of a well-known political figure whose name sounds like 'wig' all the people in there would go just about anywhere in their 'baggies' as they liked to refer to them. Some of those kids were Pellerano, Pastoriza, etc.....you get the picture. Diamond Mall, Naco, anything on Lincoln Ave, just about anywhere. I guess it's a young people thing. Well, at least people had a tan down there as opposed to a tourist who doesn't and wants to show their pastyness, LOL........ Personally, to me, the shorts are for the beach, long trips out to the countryside and pools. But that's just me.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I totally agree with Flamingojohn!!!

I have seen plenty of those also...but when it comes to Tony kissing me in front of his young cousins, or his Mom for that matter, it's somewhat of a taboo...

Very strange...

Also, how come they can be so unfaithful sometimes, and prohibit radio stations from playing a song that talks about spending a rainy afternoon in a 'cabaña' withouth each other spouses finding out, when it's such a common practice in the country???

Things that make you go hmmmmmm???

MQ

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You never see a couple kissing in public, or walking with their arms round each other as in other countries. Holding hands - maybe.
It is contradictory considering the other ways in which sexuality is flaunted, yes. It could be one of those throwbacks from old times.

Shorts - guilty as charged.
Jon, I'm trying to work out the 'wig' reference - or did you mean 'hairdo'?

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Potato_Salad said:
Hello everyone :)

I hope all of you are doing well.

Anyway, what type of actions offend Dominicans?

For example, if you present a clock (as a present) to a Chinese person, it will offend him/her (I do not remember why but I think that a clock means "death". :cross-eye ).

Another example, never use red ink with Koreans. Because red ink means death. So if you are signing a multi-million-dollar deal with your Korean partners, then the last thing you want to do is sign it with a red-ink pen!!!

What about the Dominicans?

Thank you. ;)

As a Dominican, I can authoritatively (wow! finally got to use that word;-) say that Dominicans can take mostly anything, except a stranger overtly flirting with one's spouse or woman (If it is from a friend or relative it can actually be expected and/or even celebrated, in the sense that it represents a compliment to the beauty or sexiness of one's spouse or woman). However, it is considered offensive to show offense itself. To show or express offense is a sign of uncouthness. It is admirable to be able to shoot your rival without exchanging strong words and with a smile on your face.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Chirimoya said:
Shorts - guilty as charged.
Jon, I'm trying to work out the 'wig' reference - or did you mean 'hairdo'?

No, Chiri :p ..........I was referring to the person's last name and how it sounds like wig, but as the word 'wig' would sound pronounced in Spanish. You know who I'm referring to, he's a minister of some secretariat in the current PLD government. And about the shorts, I really don't care nowadays. The Army and Air Force made it mandatory to make us wear the horrendous PT shorts while we were in Iraq. At least the Army paid attention to their troops when it came to design. The AF shorts were ugly and if any of yall military folks have seen them, wouldn't you agree with me on that one? They're ugly as hell and have that mesh lining inside to 'hold' things in place, fit like 'coochie cutters' or daisy dukes. At least surfing shorts look nice ...........hahahaha

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Wrong number

I once gave my novia the wrong 10 digit Western Union number to pick up her money, she was highly offended.

Chuckuindy

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Flamingojohn said:
OK...I may be a stupid American, but I have been living here for 6 months now and plan on being here for the forseeable future. Why would Dominicans have a problem with PDA's(Public Display of Affection) when they don't seem to have a problem with people urinating and bathing in public?? I can't count how many people I have seen relieving themselves on the side of the road in plain sight or how many people I've seen bathing in the public fountains.

You are so right !! My husband and I are very affectionate, and when I go to D.R I find that people stare at us.. as if they were offended.. I guess they see that as a sign of disrespect..

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Jon S. said:
You know what's funny about the 'shorts in public' thing? I, for one, believe it's a generational issue. When I living there, I sure as hell saw alot of younger folks wearing shorts, mostly surfing shorts, as if they would be going to the beach at any given moment. It didn't matter if you were rich or not, the shorts were being used all the time. I distinctly remember that whenever I would go with a friend to visit the daughter of a well-known political figure whose name sounds like 'wig' all the people in there would go just about anywhere in their 'baggies' as they liked to refer to them. Some of those kids were Pellerano, Pastoriza, etc.....you get the picture. Diamond Mall, Naco, anything on Lincoln Ave, just about anywhere. I guess it's a young people thing. Well, at least people had a tan down there as opposed to a tourist who doesn't and wants to show their pastyness, LOL........ Personally, to me, the shorts are for the beach, long trips out to the countryside and pools. But that's just me.

I think CC is talking more about business, working and going shopping etc.
It's ok for kids, but not for adults.

Flamingojohn

Nov 11, 2005
Rick Snyder said:
I'm sorry Flamingojohn, lol lol lol, but I can't see how urniating or bathing in public has anything to do with affection unless it is self affection. Sorry but I just had to say that.

Rick
I realize urinating in public is not the same category...but I was more incredulously alluding to Dominicans having a problem with seeing somone kissing in public and not having a problem with them urinating- but i get your point...

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Shorts - 18 and under when in the city. At the beach or a resort or in your own house is okay for all ages.

Highly offensive - going to someone's house and not eating/drinking what is offered.

Highly offensive - making derogatory remarks about Dominicans as a people, only Dominicans can critisize other dominicans.

Offensive - A woman paying the bill at a restaurant,bar or club when men are sitting at her table (unless of course the men are sankies)

Not offensive - using your middle finger to point

Status
Not open for further replies.