An unexpected trip

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
As you all know, I was last here for my birthday on the end of September. When I gat back, a friend of mine, who couldn?t make the trip, insisted on me going with him in November. Well, being a pushover for this (going to the DR), I got things in order, worked a little overtime, and found myself sitting on AA 815 SJU ? SDQ on Friday, November 11.

My friend feels cheated on these short hops (35 min), but I value time on the ground rather than how long I spend to get there. We also got a great value on AA international weekend getaways : US$144 + US$87 taxes. Not bad, but those taxes kill you.

At the airport, we once again rented a car. First stop, colmado D?Wanda. Two Presidentes to go. Nothing like that first Presidente!

My friend had stayed at the Napolitano before with me, and that?s where he wanted to go this time. Looking back, this was not to be our best decision, but hey, what can you expect. Room rates were a little cheaper than in September, so that was ok.

My friend contacted a female friend he met back in February, she was going to be our guide during this trip and also my friend?s romantic interest. We met with her at the terrace bar in our hotel. We ran an hour late, and she was extremely upset. I guess not everyone runs on Dominican time.

After stating that we were sorry for the umpteenth time, we headed out to Kantabar on La Lincoln. Great place, but a bit crowded. Karaoke is the gimmick here. Cold beers, nice people, some good singers and some really bad ones, all amount to a good time. Next order of business was Montecristo. I?ve been to this place a couple of times before, and almost always, this place is jumping. Sets of Salsa, Merengue/Bachata, Club/HipHop, and the inevitable Reggaeton make this a good place to dance. Two in the morning and I?m ready to leave. That, and feeling like a third wheel in a bicycle had me wanting to call it a night. My friend and his girl went to find a place to eat on the road to Haina. I guess the place was full cause he didn?t call until 10 am. Ja,ja,ja.

Saturday saw us trying to get to Jarabacoa, and Salto de Jimenoa. Our guide said these were beautiful places, and I?ve been trying to get there for a while now. Fate would have it that I wouldn?t get to see it this time either. After a long trip on Autopista Duarte, we saw a sign saying Balneario de Acapulco. Figuring that one river should be like the next, and seeing how late it was, and my friend?s friend wanted to get into her bikini so bad, AND me wanting to see her in that bikini, Balneario de Acapulco it was. While getting there, we had to cross part of the river. I?m going like ?this is not a jeepeta?, luckily we did not get stuck. The river was ok, but it was not Jarabacoa.

Back in the city, we plan to hook up later that evening and go to a few other places. Remembering how awkward I felt the night before, I called a friend of mine that I had met on a previous trip and asked her out. She was game, so we all met up and headed out. First we went to Eagle bar, this is in Santo Domingo east. It?s an open air affair with plenty of parking. Maybe it was because it was early, but there weren?t many people there. Next we decided to repeat Kantabar. Afterwards, we went to Loft dance club where we didn?t stay long. After taking the ladies home, we called it a night.

Sunday found us going to a beach mentioned to us. It?s called Salinas or Punta Salinas and it?s near Bani. What a beautiful place! Since it?s on a long finger of land, you have water on bothe sides of it. On the ocean side you have your typical wave action. But on the inland side it?s more like a lagoon. Very quiet water. And the view to the mountains is incredible. We returned that afternoon to la capital and ate at Adrian?s Tropical. Good food and good prices. Then we finished the night sitting at a colmadon on La Lincoln.

Monday was for shopping. Souvenirs for the folks back home, some alcohol in various forms for us. We sat down at Paco?s on the corner of El Conde in front of Parque Independencia to take in the sights. Later on we went to another colmado in Gazcue where we whiled away the hours talking to the folks and drinking beer in the tree shaded street. What a way to end this my most recent venture into what I?m beginning to call my second home.

Tuesday was airport day. Nothing to remark, except that customs took a particular interest in me and went through all my things. They asked a lot of general questions about myself and then some more detailed questions which I didn?t have the answers to. Looks like someone has been forging checks in the Midwest ! Sorry to disappoint, but it wasn?t me.

Now we?re looking to Caranaval in February. Probably be spending all of our time in the Cibao.

Regards, E.

May 31, 2005
Looking for a place to eat on the road that goes to Haina??? It looks more like if they were looking for las cabañas de el doce on the road that goes to Haina. ha ha ha

Moca

Jul 1, 2004
gardito,

Nicely detailed report. Hope you get to La Vega or Mao in February.

Moca