Dominican parent's and there daughters..in the U.S.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
As a sports fan, and as a Dominican American...I often wonder when I turn on the television or go to sporting events of how absent the Dominican female athelete is from these venue's and activities,, I can't help at marvel at what the hell is the Dominican female's are all doing, that we have not yet heard or seen any real famous FDA...emerge from the clouds and has taken the sports world by surprise, with so much talent in our community, I can't help but not see Dominican women in major division 1A universities or the pro's competing and participating in sports like softball, volleyball, track, basketball, soccer, etc...Dominican's both men and women must understand something that the Afro American athlete's have figured out...in order to get major universities to issue full payed scholarships when you have no money! you must have something to offer..such as athletics or the arts...seldom if ever, will they do this with just on your academics..they know that some other no name school will flip the bill or something....so why after the Dominican girls volleyball team showed there competitiveness in the Pan-Am games last year...has there not been a movement to recruit and sign Dominican female athletes? obvious the talent is there.

which brings me to ask these questions...why are Dominican women under-achieving when it comes to sports development with so many young Dominican women out there, where is the community falling short?, is it laziness? fear?, cultural? or something else, latinos are now the second largest minority group in the U.S. but the community is dead last in athletic development higher learning eligibility:ermm: why are Dominican parent's not encouraging there son nor daughter's to strive for more and introduce more Dominican young boys and girls to join in sports or cheerleading intensively?.... now going back to the female's I have noticed that DFA are more involved and more advanced in D.R. then of those that reside from the U.S. why is this! what are Dominican mothers encouraging there daughter's to do these days in the U.S.? and last but not least why are there no Dominican female athlete's currently in division 1a athletic programs throughout the U.S.? I have more to add but for now what is your response to this mind boggling senario!:surprised

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
I did not know we were doing so bad in this area. I have always thought there had to be some in top atheletic programs. I believed this to be true because my niece was a nationaly ranked track and field athelete that was on the US national team. But was unable to make the olympics due to illness. She graduated from Dartmouth University and is currently the womens track and field assistant coach there. Her brother went to college on a baseball scholarship.

Can the problem be that like my niece the Dominicans are not being recongnized as Dominicans, since alot of them might be american born like my niece or A-Rod. This is a very interesting subject I will certainly ask around for more info and get back to this thread.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are a few, like the above poster. But you have to get out of highschool in order to qualify. Not many of the top ranked athletes ever do. The system works against studies.
First off, if there is any talent and someone from the military or the Police see it, you are lured into "hooking" up with the service. All you do is train. Only a chosed few have got to school and that is because their families helped them in some way or another. Even then they are in their 20 by the time they get out of highschool.
Secondly, there is the stupid club system, much like Europe, but without the tens of thousands of dues paying members. The clubs live hand to mouth and make money off of the athletes in basketball or volleyball. Track in the DR? Hardly. None of the non-money producing sports has much going on here.
Third. There are no interscholastic sports--at least not any worth a hoot.
The private high schools do some--Carol Morgan, New Horizons, Babeque, Bonao Educational Center, Santiago Christian School...not much but a wee tiny bit.
Fourth. Good athletes have to eat well and that pretty much eliminates a whole lot of the demographics. Only when someone begins to shine are they somewhat pampered and begin to learn how to eat...Sad but oh so true.
Fifth, I we had a cuylture of fostering sports through private donations, this could change, but people that make hundreds, no, thousand of millions of pesos give very little back. Okay, the occasional ball player
might build a baseball field, but a sports arena where all of the indoor sports can be played??? Yeah, right!...Lots o' luck, Charlie!!:(
And the major companies want publicity so how do you promote beer and rum and train young children? It is counterproductive, and these companies wonn't do it.

There is more, but this is the end of my rant for the day.

HB :(:(:(:(

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
Yah....piper but Dartmouth is not a division 1a program:ermm: , but none the less she has made a big accomplishment by even being the coach, but with the dominican community being so big and has been here for so long, it seems extremely disappointing...the only Dominican males that I have seen that are now part of a big time program, are those who live outside of NYC..can this be one of the reasons why? - Also I have spoken to some College recruiters here and they have also told me that they have recruited Dominican athlete's before but have gotten burned in the past because some of them have lost there eligibility due to early pregnancy, they say carribean girls just are not motivated enough at home, to look at sports seriously or as a career..but still why are the majority of Dominican females thinking this way?- I'd also like to correct something I said in first post...and that is Latinos are the number 1 leading minority group in the U.S. and not the second....this will pose another interesting question for latinos and Dominicanos in the future...

I want to recap what I have said earlier...the Afro-Amereican community has found out...that the easiet way to get to a large division 1A school is through sports participation both for males and females...you have better career choices, better chances to get to the pro's, with less abuse or politics, and free high quality education with all the catering....remember Felix Sanchez saw and realized and took advantage of this and the D.R. benefited from it...if more Dominicans did the same, only God knows how many more gold metals the country would have produced for none traditional sports...

Hillbilly.. I totally agree with you as I witnessed it with my own eyes in D.R. the programs have to be volunteer and the community has to make better efforts, to build more programs for there children back on the island, (noticed I said the community) and not the goverment, athletic programs are not the responsibility of the goverment, it's the people that have to build them for there children;) ...many people ask why I don't believe that D.R. is a good place to live or raise children..and my very simple answer to that is look at the children....on there resources or lack there of, it's enough to leave town without ever looking back....everything the goverment does or does not do effects the children..it get's past down threw generations, it's fairly simple,, parent's suffer, and there children suffer even more!

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
ronaldobklyn said:
Exactly ;) !!!!!!!

Ditto. But unfortunately education is not as sexy as being an internationally recognized athlete making millions of dollars.

It's similar in the states nut not to the same degree. Kids in the inner cities see hip hop rappers with all their "bling bling" and decide that is what they want.

That's fine. But wouldn't it be nice to be able to read your lucrative contracts without help?

Scandall

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
I have to disagree...

I never mentioned that education was not important...I said why do you not have Dominican's striving to be in a division 1a institution, and again one of the reasons the majority are not getting there is because they do not have to many talents to offer...if you live in Miami as an example...yeah anyone can attend Miami-Dade community college, but why not look for something more impressive and try to get into the U. of Miami instead...with a full payed scholarship...I mean you guys sound like you had people around you who encourage you to just be average, sports is very important in this world!
that's why we have an olympic event...they can identiy who you are, and ignite a certain amount of pride, and granted a mutual respect from your countrymen and pride towards your country, Dominican's in the U.S. and abroad need to reach out for more then just an average education, they need to get involved in more social events and activities, the community needs to diversify there portfolio's and not just go threw life and accept being just there, or average....

Do you really want to know how important sports is to a poor sociaty...when athlete's make tons of money they have the power to build and motivate....when a Dominican wins an MVP or a cy young award others shout out loud and revel in it, when there star athlete wins the countries first gold metals they are there to hold up the flag with them... so how can you say forget sports...sports is more then just recognition and fame....when Luis Castillo and Carlos Perez, graduated with honors from there perpective universities and went professional in a non traditional sport you can't tell me that it's not a great accomplishment for a Dominican, these men showed us that it can be done...and being averaged and close-minded is unacceptable...so just think about that when your Dominican child attends high school in the U.S. don't hold them back and teach them that average is good..tell them to reach for higher goals then that, support them and then sit back and watch how high they will go..that's what's wrong with our community today we have grown use to settling for second place!

thepiper

Jan 25, 2005
daddy1 said:
Yah....piper but Dartmouth is not a division 1a program:ermm: , but none the less she has made a big accomplishment by even being the coach, but with the dominican community being so big and has been here for so long, it seems extremely disappointing...the only QUOTE]

I know, what was she thinking electing to go to an Ivy league school !

How lazy can she be !!!!!

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
let's not even talk ivey league and the majority of Dominicans

look I acknowledged, her accomplishment...but she is a dime a dozen...we have some graduates from berkeley school of music...art institutes ...community colleges etc...but still nothing has been answered of why! we do not have a high percentage of Dominican athlete's in division 1a sports programs,, Latinos are going to have to realize one day that the best way to take advantage of attending major universities is threw sports instead of over-all academics...in that category Dominican's raised in NYC, and or Miami...are at a disadvantage because the competition is fierce!
these universities get payed large amounts of money for sports programs, especially football, basketball, and baseball, and they also have Television contracts that are in the millions...so they need athlete's buy the dozens...but let's use baseball as an example...if Dominican's are so natural in the sport and they produce alot of players in the minors, why are there so few playing in the N.C.A.A. I only witnessed two Dominican's playng division 1a last season..one for Rice and the other for the U of Tennessee...none for Rutgers, Syracuse, St. John's or the U of Miami which are the area's in where Dominican's dwell the most...in someway,, I believe that Dominican's are being singled out of major baseball scholships, but no one is putting up a fight for it either, ironically even in the U.S. Dominican's and Dominican American's are affected by the baseball camps in D.R. somehow I just can't put my finger on it yet...it's just I can't believe with so many Dominican boys and girls in the U.S. we have not made an impact as a whole in the N.C.A.A.
something, somewhere is wrong...common guys give me more input, I know some of you should have a theory or two out there about this subject..