Divorced and wanting to remarry someone from the dr question?

susy

Sep 30, 2004
Ok here's my question. I've been told that there's a longer process for someone who's been previously divorced. I was told that i have to convert the entire divorce settlement into spanish. Why is that?? Could just the divorce certificate be converted to spanish?

Also, where can i get this done. I live in hamilton which is close to toronto. Can this be done somewhere here or does it have to be send to somewhere in the dominican for this to be done? Does anyone know ruffly how much this costs?

Also, does this honestly have to be done in order to remarry someone from the dr. If so, why????

Thanks!Susy

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have a friend who married a Dominican lawyer. He was married at the time in the U.S. He was in the process of a divorce but did not want to wait for it. It was no problem. I guess he just said he was single. It is not like they have a super computer system here to check these things.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
SKY said:
I have a friend who married a Dominican lawyer. He was married at the time in the U.S. He was in the process of a divorce but did not want to wait for it. It was no problem. I guess he just said he was single. It is not like they have a super computer system here to check these things.
That's great for husband #2. He doesn't have to worry about divorce since he only has to prove you comitted fraud on the marriage documents. That of course is after you get him his Canadian citizenship.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
HOWMAR said:
That's great for husband #2. He doesn't have to worry about divorce since he only has to prove you comitted fraud on the marriage documents. That of course is after you get him his Canadian citizenship.

I think you are a little confused. An American male married a Dominican female. He was married at the time and is now divorced. They have been married for four years and have a child.

They live in the D.R. and have no plans for his wife to visit the U.S. I am just making a point that there are no checks and balances on these things.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
SKY said:
I think you are a little confused. An American male married a Dominican female. He was married at the time and is now divorced. They have been married for four years and have a child.

They live in the D.R. and have no plans for his wife to visit the U.S. I am just making a point that there are no checks and balances on these things.
I'm not confused, I was referring to the atached post concerning committing fraud, but to the OP who is a Canadian woman, marrying a Dominican man. Sorry if I confused you.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
SKY said:
Of course it means the marriage is illegal and could cause some problems down the line.

BTW, is this the same friend that in order for him to get out of a marriage, you deceived his Dominican wife into believing that he died in Miami, or is this another friend of similar ilk?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Rellosk,

This one has a very nice wife and has been married for four years with one child. But thanks for bringing up the other one. He is also happy and still single.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
SKY said:
Rellosk,

This one has a very nice wife and has been married for four years with one child. But thanks for bringing up the other one. He is also happy and still single.
What happened to the wife in Miami. Should Miami C.S.I. be called?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
HOWMAR said:
What happened to the wife in Miami. Should Miami C.S.I. be called?

Read the post by rellosk, it wasn't approved by Emily Post, but it got the job done.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
SKY said:
Read the post by rellosk, it wasn't approved by Emily Post, but it got the job done.
I see how it took care of wife #2, the Dominican (fraudulant)wife. But, you say he is single and happy. Wife #1, the Miami wife, must have let him off easy.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
HOWMAR said:
I see how it took care of wife #2, the Dominican (fraudulant)wife. But, you say he is single and happy. Wife #1, the Miami wife, must have let him off easy.

These are two different people The one that got the divorce is the one that lives here with his second wife. His first wife did not want anything and the divorce was not contested with no money changing hands

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
SKY said:
These are two different people The one that got the divorce is the one that lives here with his second wife. His first wife did not want anything and the divorce was not contested with no money changing hands
Who's on first. No, What's on first, Who's on second. What happened to wife #1 of the guy who "died" in Miami?
But thanks for bringing up the other one. He is also happy and still single.
You say he is single and happy after getting rid of the fraudulant Dominican wife by dying. This equation is missing something.

susy

Sep 30, 2004
can we get back to my original question. who cares about the guy who is now living in the dr with a second marriage. i'm talking about remarrying someone to someday have him come live with me in canada. i can't commit fraud. so i want the low down on what i must do...what can i do...what don't i have to do.

thanks!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
susy said:
can we get back to my original question. who cares about the guy who is now living in the dr with a second marriage. i'm talking about remarrying someone to someday have him come live with me in canada. i can't commit fraud. so i want the low down on what i must do...what can i do...what don't i have to do.

thanks!
You already know what you have to do, but asked if you can get around it.
You must get a certified translation of your divorce settlement. The certified translation has to be done by a translator certified here in the DR. You asked why? The answer is Because. Because they say so.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
susy said:
Ok here's my question. I've been told that there's a longer process for someone who's been previously divorced. I was told that i have to convert the entire divorce settlement into spanish. Why is that?? Could just the divorce certificate be converted to spanish?

Also, where can i get this done. I live in hamilton which is close to toronto. Can this be done somewhere here or does it have to be send to somewhere in the dominican for this to be done? Does anyone know ruffly how much this costs?

Also, does this honestly have to be done in order to remarry someone from the dr. If so, why????

Thanks!Susy
Hi Susy,
If possible, why don't you think of getting fiance petition to get him to Canada? Then you could have your wedding in Canada. And file for his residency after the wedding. Then the time you have to wait won't seem so long, because you'll be together. If you have to have the divorce papers translated, it's because they will be reviewed in a Spanish speaking country. If you go that route, I'd consult with the Dominican Consul nearest your home, because they will want to certify the translation any way. Translations can cost $15 to $50 a page roughly.
If Canadian residency is anything like the US, there are letters of good conduct, birth certificates, etc. that will need to be in English (Canadian Consulate) or the like.
Good luck.
By the way, being from Hamilton, would you know if Jonathan Frid is still around? Barnabas Collins was my favorite!
mkohn

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You only need to translate the divorce certificate not the entire thing. PM me if you need any help with it. You'll also need a single status declaration in both languages, your long form birth certificate in both languages, and a copy of your passport translated. Check the DR embassy site for Canada as well as www.debbiesdominicantravel.com for additional information.
Congrats,
Nelly