Grassroots work in the park

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
The park in Mirador Sur along Anacaona is getting a lot of work done to it. It is nice to see people donating their time and resources to clearing areas and planting trees and other plants. Much of the work is being done by volunteers - I was able to say hello to my doctor as she was planting trees Sunday morning as I was out walking the dog. I just wanted to let everyone know how great their work has been progressing.

One other question about the park area - I live right across Anacaona and for the last two days in a row a small flock of 5-7 green parrots has made its way to the tree right outside my bedroom window. They don't look like a native species to me and I have heard a rumor that a shipping crate full of imported birds broke open and these are those escaped birds that are now living in the park area. Anyone seen them or know if there is any truth to the rumor?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
expatsooner said:
One other question about the park area - I live right across Anacaona and for the last two days in a row a small flock of 5-7 green parrots has made its way to the tree right outside my bedroom window. They don't look like a native species to me and I have heard a rumor that a shipping crate full of imported birds broke open and these are those escaped birds that are now living in the park area. Anyone seen them or know if there is any truth to the rumor?

You must be new to the neighborhood, the green parrots are native to the park. I also have a tree (a jina tree) right outside my penthouse bedroom window, which is the favorite loitering/feeding place for a community of palm chats that live/sleep on the crowning branches of a royal palm in front of the building. For years a loud flock of squawking green parrots lands on the tree, making territory on the southwestern branches, while the palm chats keep to themselves in the northeastern ones...

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I've lived in Santo Domingo for almost 9 years and across from the park for almost 7 years and I've never seen birds like these around before.

But I'm glad to hear they are local - means I can add them to my collection of native species flora and fauna photographs. I've been able to get some great photos out of my apartment windows since we are on the third floor and the trees are very close to the windows - slap on a 70-200mm lens and look out National Geographic ;)

Today these parrots, some palm chats and one of the really pretty woodpeckers were all in the tree outside of my bedroom at one time - it was great - almost made me forget about the sound of the traffic on Anacaona. The cat was also very interested, but not for the same reason :D

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
On my recent trip to the DR, I was standing outside an old family friend's yard, hold and behold I saw a flock of 4 cotorras. I was perflexed, I could not believe my eyes. I asked myself are cotorras making a come back. I mentioned this to people and they informed me that the government released a bunch of them in the capital city. You can see them around las UASD and other parks. It seems they are safer in the city where no one bothers them than in the country side where they are hunted down.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Stodgord said:
On my recent trip to the DR, I was standing outside an old family friend's yard, hold and behold I saw a flock of 4 cotorras. I was perflexed, I could not believe my eyes. I asked myself are cotorras making a come back. I mentioned this to people and they informed me that the government released a bunch of them in the capital city. You can see them around las UASD and other parks. It seems they are safer in the city where no one bothers them than in the country side where they are hunted down.

"...I mentioned this to people and they informed me that the government released a bunch of them in the capital city..."

I doubt anybody would flout such a high-minded opinion of the government. Anyway, the reason for the large variety of exotic birds in the city is that the city zoo's huge netted bird enclosure has been nocked down in various occasions by storms and hurricanes.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The most famous flock of cotorras in SD is the one on the large tree to the right of the main entrance to the Hotel Embajador. They make an almighty racket. I wonder if they warn the guests whose windows overlook that tree.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chirimoya said:
The most famous flock of cotorras in SD is the one on the large tree to the right of the main entrance to the Hotel Embajador. They make an almighty racket. I wonder if they warn the guests whose windows overlook that tree.

The palm chats outside my bedroom window have learned to imitate the cotorras to perfection, including their caotic flock and flight formation. One day the palm chats were in the best of their cotorra mocking mood, and they started on an 'almighty racket' that would make the best cotorras proud. I went to the window and made a loud 'shssss' sound. Low and behold, the palm chats shut up!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Mirador said:
The palm chats outside my bedroom window have learned to imitate the cotorras to perfection, including their caotic flock and flight formation. One day the palm chats were in the best of their cotorra mocking mood, and they started on an 'almighty racket' that would make the best cotorras proud. I went to the window and made a loud 'shssss' sound. Low and behold, the palm chats shut up!
You are extremely lucky!

When those birds get going, there is no stopping!

That's when Mirador comes to the rescue! :classic:

-NAL