Artesania Lime Dolls

JackAck

Dec 10, 2005
Trying to locate the person, factory or manufacturing plant of the Lime dolls. Does anyone know where I can find that information?

Syork

Sep 5, 2004
The Lime dolls used to be made in Santiago at a factory on the marginal road on the Autopista Duarte. The factory was owned by the Mera family but I do not know if it is still in business. The factory was not too far from where the Banco Cental Santiago office is, on the same side of the marginal road.

Good luck

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
JackAck said:
Trying to locate the person, factory or manufacturing plant of the Lime dolls. Does anyone know where I can find that information?

You mean those haunting faceless dolls? I thought they were illegal ;-)

MeDominican

Nov 9, 2005
Lime Dolls?

What are Lime Dolls??? I heard that there is a factory of faceless dolls in La Vega.

MeDominican

MeDominican

Nov 9, 2005
Illegal?

Mirador said:

Where did you get that info. about faceless dolls being illegal? You find them all over D.R., and they seem to be getting very creative with them...

Some places you only see the ones made of clay, but in others you find faceless dolls made of finer materials...

MeDominican

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Lim? factory is no longer in existance. There is a place in Hig?erito, Moca, that makes them.. This is where they were originally done.

There are Lime dolls on the markets from private collections

The main difference is that at Lim? the quality was always 100% perfect and the models were exquisite and different....

I cannot, in honesty fault the dolls done at Hig?erito...

If you wish to purchase one of the collector dolls, let me know and I'll get you into contact with one person who has a few.

HB :D:D

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Mirador said:
Haunting?

Well, ok! They might scare the little kids!:nervous:

In all sincerity, the purpose of the faceless feature is to show the diversity of humans and cultures and ethnic groups that Dominicans come from. For those reasons the dolls are faceless, because not one type of "face" defines a Dominican since we as a people come from, practically, every continent!

-NAL

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Haunting? Well, ok! They might scare the little kids!:nervous:

In all sincerity, the purpose of the faceless feature is to show the diversity of humans and cultures and ethnic groups that Dominicans come from. For those reasons the dolls are faceless, because not one type of "face" defines a Dominican since we as a people come from, practically, every continent! -NAL

http://www.freesearch.co.uk/dictionary/haunting

haunting
adjective
beautiful, but in a sad way and often in a way which cannot be forgotten:
- a haunting melody
- the haunting beauty of Africa

The reason for the ?facelessness? of the dolls is more prosaic than you think. When the dolls were first designed in 1981 by Liliana Mera, the small clay molds were inadequate to replicate an acceptable face, so the dolls went faceless.
By the way, concurrently with Liliana Mera?s pottery shop in Higuerito, Moca, I executed in Bonao an experimental ceramic (stoneware) project, with funding and help from the Interamerican Development Bank (IDB) and the US Peace Corp. The project included a nationwide survey of mineral materials potentially of use in pottery/ceramic production, the design of high temperature/high energy efficient kilns, production/product design, and training for local Bonao youths. After the project was up and running, the assigned US Peace Corp Volunteer hijacked the project, including the best trained potters, and installed a ceramic manufacturing plant in the Capital?s Herrera industrial zone. Did I hear the word capitalism mentioned? ;-)

pimentel

Mar 12, 2005
Hello

May i help you to find this factory in Santo Domingo, right now the Lime dolls in Santiago is closing but in Santo Domingo you will find other compay please for further information pimentel@yahoo.com
Best regards
Felix

JackAck said:

Lolamae521

Feb 8, 2008
I have a Lime Doll- The Debutante, Reference:257

I am in the process of moving and came across my Lime Doll that I am about to place on EBAY. Can anyone tell me more about these beautiful figurines and if they are a collectors item.... I greatly appreciate any information that can be forwarded to me.

Kind wishes,
Lolamae

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
As Atesania Lime SA. went into the bank rote. My cousin that was an employ of this company begun running his own business " Atesania Candy SA. " who is the manufacturer in the Dominican Rep. of the faceless dolls.
Here are some samples of his production:

facelessdoll.jpg

JJ.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
A real Lime doll has the words written on the bottom. The new faceless dolls that you can buy today do not have this word on the bottom. They are now collector items and I will never sell mine. People have asked to buy them.

1cindy

Jul 3, 2009
faceless dolls

I just returned from Cabarete, DR, there was a very nice little shop near the beach on the road next to the light blue Victorian bldg that sold tall slender faceless dolls and and things made out of coconuts. The dolls have the label "Las Munecas de Mariza". I bought one of them and brought it home with me, but the baggage handlers broke it. I doubt that I could have one shipped to me, but I thought that I would try. Does anyone know where I could purchase dolls like this? Thanks