ARod to sit out World Baseball Classic

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
"After thoughtful deliberations with my family, I am announcing my decision to withdraw from the World Baseball Classic," Rodriguez told The New York Post for Friday's editions. "When faced with the decision to choose between my country, the United States of America and my Dominican heritage, I decided I will not dishonor either."

When the commissioner's office and the players' association announced commitments from players last week, Rodriguez's country was left blank. The New York Yankees third baseman, who last month won his second AL MVP award, was born in New York but his parents are Dominican.

"I am proud to be an American citizen and to have a Dominican legacy. My commitment to baseball is secondary to honoring my patriotic duties to my country and my ancestors," Rodriguez told The Post.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2260948

He was in a tough situation where someone was going to be upset with his decision. Personally, this is part of the reason why I admire his talents, but dislike him personally.
The guy does nothing unscripted, or that may ruffle any feathers. He is strictly PC and does not deviate from that script.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
NY1 said:
Personally, this is part of the reason why I admire his talents, but dislike him personally.
The guy does nothing unscripted, or that may ruffle any feathers. He is strictly PC and does not deviate from that script.
Then you must love Manny.:)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
He was in a tough situation where someone was going to be upset with his decision. Personally, this is part of the reason why I admire his talents, but dislike him personally.

I agree...

He is a WUSS and won't ever stand up for anything...:tired:

Doesn't he know that Americans don't consider him to be an American? That they think of him as Dominican????:angry:

He might as well sit out and let someone else represent the Domincan Republic...he doesn't deserve that honor...:devious:

MQ

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Musicqueen said:
I agree...

He is a WUSS and won't ever stand up for anything...:tired:

Doesn't he know that Americans don't consider him to be an American? That they think of him as Dominican????:angry:

He might as well sit out and let someone else represent the Domincan Republic...he doesn't deserve that honor...:devious:

MQ

So you think an illiterate chopo with dreadlocks like Manny, a steriod juicer/ bat corking cheater like Sammy Sosa or a guy who throws pitches at batters heads and throws old men to the ground like Pedro are better suited to represent the DR than a clean cut guy like A-Rod who tries to say and do the right things and present a good image. Thats interesting.

Larry

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Yes, I do...

ARod is too chicken to represent the DR...he WON'T do anything that will ruffle anyones feathers, like NY1 says...

He is a coward...If he wanted to represent the DR, he should stand up to any criticism and do it...that will show just how much he is 'proud of his Dominican heritage' as he proclaims...

At least the other guys are REALLY proud to be Dominican...

And why the heck are you defending him so much? Do you think he should represent the USA? So, why isn't he???

MQ

One more thing...PEOPLE, READ WHAT'S BEING WRITTEN...DON'T LET YOUR MIND GET BLURRED BY YOUR FANATISM...
Tamborista: Is that the stand you take on everything...Yes, sir...Yes, sir...I agree...

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Musicqueen,

I think he should represent whichever country he chooses, or neither one as he apparently is doing. He handled the situation with class and respect. Thats what I like about him. Are his responses PC and scripted? Yep. He is getting paid a ton of money to be a good example and carry himself the right way, and he is.

Call him a "wuss" if you want to. I dont understand what you think a pro athlete should be or who you would like to be "representing" YOU but we obviously see things differently.

Larry

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Larry said:
Musicqueen,

He handled the situation with class and respect. Thats what I like about him. Are his responses PC and scripted? Yep. He is getting paid a ton of money to be a good example and carry himself the right way, and he is.

Larry

Which is why he batted the baseball out of the first baseman's hand while he was running to first base, and then lied about it and cried, acting like a baby when he was caught? Come on, Larry...

I'm not an A-Rod fan, mostly because of the above-mentioned incident in Game 6 against the Red Sox, 2004. I lost nearly all the respect I had for him in that game. As I see it, the only big name, current-day MLB Dominicans you can be 100% proud of, without reservation, are David Ortiz, Vladimir Guerrero, Miguel Tejada, Bartolo Colon, and Albert Pujols. I would include Pedro in the list because I do love him, but proud of him 100%...errr...not exactly. As for the old-man throwing incident, he egged it on, I believe Pedro did what he needed to do to get the leech off of him. I don't disrespect my elders, and don't believe anyone should, but how much should one be forced to face to be PC? There are so many Dominican screw-ups in the league that there aren't too many you can stand behind 100% anymore. (Before you jump, there are also a lot of Canadian, Venezuelan, American, Cuban, and Mexican - and Japanese, for good measure, just so I don't miss offending anyone :classic: screw-ups in the league, too, but we're conversing on a DR message board.)

However, if this was his idea, I do admire the stand he is taking here. But I don't really believe in (many) fairy tales...personally, I don't think it's his choice. I believe the announcement was a cover-up. It is no secret that the Yankees do not want their players involved in this tournament and there were already rumours that they weren't going to allow A-Rod to play. Of course, on Dec 11, there was also the announcement that they forbade Posada to play - could it be because he was leaning towards playing for Puerto Rico??? I'm thinking so...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2255872

Last edited:

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
He handled the situation with class and respect. Thats what I like about him. Are his responses PC and scripted? Yep.

He does have class and respect, but that doesn't mean that everything he says and does isn't scripted by someone else.

When he was initially considering which team to play for, he says he was consulting with the player's union, his agent and his lawyer. WTF is that? Just choose, its your choice no one else's.

You think Frank Catalanato sat with all those people when he decided to play for Italy? Give me a break.

I liken ARod to J-LO, 2 people that do nothing unless its cleared with someone else first.

Malafama

Mar 17, 2005
People like Him who is getting paid so much money and his health means so much to the league can not just go and make a decision like that. He has to consult with Owners, union and lawyers to make sure he would not regret making a move like that later on.. that is the same reason why Moses Alou was not on the list to start with.. why isn't moses there yet?? i have no idea but Alex can not just go and do as he wishes.. he works for somebody he is not his own boss.. and if you ask me, i think he took the right approach to avoid situations beyond what the fans would or would not say about him..

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
According to this on Listin Diario today:

Conforme a la p?gina electr?nica de Major League Baseball, un total de 29 peloteros dominicanos han llenado los formularios correspondientes, entre los que resaltan los sonoros nombres de Manny Ram?rez, Albert Pujols, Vladimir Guerrero, David Ortiz, Pedro Mart?nez y Miguel Tejada.
Otros cuatro que no figuran en la publicaci?n y que en los pr?ximos d?as ser?n asentados son Jos? Guill?n, Aramis Ram?rez, Miguel Batista, Odalis P?rez, Jorge Sosa y Arnaldo Mu?oz, con los cuales la lista se elevar? a 35.

WHO NEEDS HIM? Let him stay at home and take care of his precious little WUSSY body...

MQ

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Moises Alou is not on the list because he wasn't asked yet, same as Sosa. Vlad, Manny, Pedro and Pujols are all on the list and have all said they are playing. Can you envision Manny having a sitdown with his agent to ask if he could play?

The League and the union have authorized each player to play. Some owners such as the Boss, have always gone to a tune of a different drummer. I understand not wanting a catcher to play, ie Posada, but Jeter and Cano will play.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
NY1 said:
The League and the union have authorized each player to play. Some owners such as the Boss, have always gone to a tune of a different drummer. I understand not wanting a catcher to play, ie Posada, but Jeter and Cano will play.

Do you really think the owners are going to let Yankee Pretty-Boy A-Rod, one of the most famous baseball players in the world, to play with anyone but the American team, if he qualifies to do so? Not on your life! I think A-Rod said he wanted to play for the DR, and they're not going to let him play at all. This is just their way of covering it up. How long have they been saying they're not going to let him play, and they've already stopped Posada. Cano is not in the same league as A-Rod, nor is he qualified to play for the US, so it's not the same situation.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
Musicqueen said:
According to this on Listin Diario today:

WHO NEEDS HIM? Let him stay at home and take care of his precious little WUSSY body...

MQ

He would be nice to have don't get me wrong, but DR can slide either Aramis Ramirez or Adrian Beltre to play 3b. Neither is too shabby!

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Larry said:
So you think an illiterate chopo with dreadlocks like Manny, a steriod juicer/ bat corking cheater like Sammy Sosa or a guy who throws pitches at batters heads and throws old men to the ground like Pedro are better suited to represent the DR than a clean cut guy like A-Rod who tries to say and do the right things and present a good image. Thats interesting.

Larry

yesss,

and how about steroid king barry bonds representing USA?

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
THE GAME said:
yesss,

It has not been proven so it is just allegations of Bonds using roids. On A-Rod I think he made the right decision to sit out, besides Republica Dominicana does not need him to win ;) .

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
trina said:
Do you really think the owners are going to let Yankee Pretty-Boy A-Rod, one of the most famous baseball players in the world, to play with anyone but the American team, if he qualifies to do so? Not on your life! I think A-Rod said he wanted to play for the DR, and they're not going to let him play at all. This is just their way of covering it up. How long have they been saying they're not going to let him play, and they've already stopped Posada. Cano is not in the same league as A-Rod, nor is he qualified to play for the US, so it's not the same situation.

Maybe, but if that is the case, that just furthers the notion that ARod is a wuss, for going with the plan!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
THE GAME said:
yesss,

I could think of 1,000,000 players I would rather see represent the USA before Barry Bonds if that answers your question.

Larry

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
NY1 said:
Maybe, but if that is the case, that just furthers the notion that ARod is a wuss, for going with the plan!

If A-Rod is not playing by personal choice, I admire him taking the stance that he is. In all fairness, it would be a tough decision to make. The DR is where he gained his love for the game, but his training was basically all in the US. His heritage is Dominican, but his roots are in the US. I think we can all appreciate he is in a difficult position, and maybe this is the only solution. However, I also feel that if he is bowing out for the reason of not disappointing anyone, I think he's probably disappointing far more people by NOT playing, but that's my opinion. Somehow, the man has a huge fanbase, there's no denying it. I, on the other hand, am not one of these fans.

If he is not playing because the Yankee conglomerate will not allow him to play, what's he to do? Say NO and bite the hand that feeds you (and feeds you well, I dare add)? Will it change their minds? No. Will they make his life hell if he goes above their wishes? I do believe they would. I am sure they have some legal basis to force him not to play, this is the Yankees, afterall, and I'm quite sure that $250+M contract is laced up pretty tight.