A final plea for help?

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
I've been trying to get in touch with someone (anyone) associated with soccer in the DR for about a year and a half with the intention of earning a spot on the national team. I've exausted all logical efforts and need a little help from the DR1 community. If anyone has anything please post or pm me. Gracias.

May 12, 2005
They play soccer in the DR?? I've always seen kids playing baseball, but never kicking around a ball. Smart kids. Does the DR even have a national team??

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
There is a national team, they participated in the North-American & Caribbean zone of the preliminaries of next year's world cup, and were defeated twice by Trinidad & Tobago. Contact details for the f?tbol federation are easy to find: http://www.concacaf.com/info.asp?id=20 but don't know much more.

Mallorca

Dec 12, 2005
Frank the Tank said:
They play soccer in the DR?? I've always seen kids playing baseball, but never kicking around a ball. Smart kids. Does the DR even have a national team??

Since soccer is the most played sport by young people in Europe (amongst other places) our region has to be plenty of dumb kids.
Luckily we still manage to pull through.. :glasses:

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
qgrande said:
There is a national team, they participated in the North-American & Caribbean zone of the preliminaries of next year's world cup, and were defeated twice by Trinidad & Tobago. Contact details for the f?tbol federation are easy to find: http://www.concacaf.com/info.asp?id=20 but don't know much more.

The e-mail link is dead and has been for a while.There is no fed de futbol. The coach is a Cuban named William Bennett but I have no luck getting into contact.

Roberto284

Jul 2, 2004
Soccer Federation

Try going to the Bauger School of soccer in San Geronimo, ( in Santo Domingo) ... They have also a tv show on sundays and you can call them for extra info.

Sometimes my friends and i play here but we've never been looking for that kind of info. The Soccer Federation is in the Centro Olimpico.Very near to the soccer field. (where the presidente festival was done)

send me a PM if u want to set up a game..

Robb

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a federation and they just finished league play. Jarabacoa won and a team from Santo Domingo finsihed second.

Over the past few years the local football/soccer level has fallen to unreal depths. We are now well below 150 on the world list...

We could probably use a few )sober) Irishmen...

HB, who a lifetime ago was the National Coach and three time National Champion Soccer coach. Competed in Concacaf, World Cup and a few friendlies...My God, that was a very long time ago!

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
Thanx to Mr. CCCCCCCCCCCC CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC for the help and I will be in touch with this contact soon enough. I do find bits and pieces of info on that "semi-pro" or "pro" league Hillbilly mentions, does anyone have any specifics on this league?

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
If you read HB's post He is the man!!! Stop knocking yourself out. Just ask/go see him

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i apologise for never answering your pm, but i half-heartedly tried to get information from a uruguayan friend of mine who is football crazy.....not just watching, but playing too.
i am under the impression he spends a lot of time either playing, teaching or refereeing football at the casa de espa?a 'club' in the capital.
i just haven't seen him around lately, but will ask the next time.

roberto284 mentioned jorge rolando bauger (and son?), who would also be able to give you some information, he's always desperate for people to telephone him during his sunday football programme.

apart from that, i can't help you much............and as mentioned before, not just in this thread, i think that hillbilly is the one that can provide you with the most contacts.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Hillbilly said:
There is a federation and they just finished league play. Jarabacoa won and a team from Santo Domingo finsihed second.

Over the past few years the local football/soccer level has fallen to unreal depths. We are now well below 150 on the world list...

We could probably use a few )sober) Irishmen...

HB, who a lifetime ago was the National Coach and three time National Champion Soccer coach. Competed in Concacaf, World Cup and a few friendlies...My God, that was a very long time ago!

you competed in which world cup? nat champ of what team?

My favorite team is Argentina. Diego, Batigol some of my favorite players.
I also support and go for Brazil... they have the best players in the world.

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
bochinche said:
i apologise for never answering your pm, but i half-heartedly tried to get information from a uruguayan friend of mine who is football crazy.....not just watching, but playing too.
i am under the impression he spends a lot of time either playing, teaching or refereeing football at the casa de espa?a 'club' in the capital.
i just haven't seen him around lately, but will ask the next time.

roberto284 mentioned jorge rolando bauger (and son?), who would also be able to give you some information, he's always desperate for people to telephone him during his sunday football programme.

apart from that, i can't help you much............and as mentioned before, not just in this thread, i think that hillbilly is the one that can provide you with the most contacts.

I will look into this and thanks for the help. I have spoken with Hillbilly in the past.

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
Roberto284 said:
Try going to the Bauger School of soccer in San Geronimo, ( in Santo Domingo) ... They have also a tv show on sundays and you can call them for extra info.

Sometimes my friends and i play here but we've never been looking for that kind of info. The Soccer Federation is in the Centro Olimpico.Very near to the soccer field. (where the presidente festival was done)

send me a PM if u want to set up a game..

Robb

Thanks but I'm not in the DR but when I go I will be sure to check with you to get some footy going.