Any North Coast "to do" advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
Hi all,

I'll be in the DR next month for a lil bit of a stay. I'm going to be staying in Sosua (not an AI) and I wondered if I could get any advice from folks on things to see and do...other than la playa of course. I haven't been to the DR in many years, and never on the North Coast.

I realize Sosua is a "touristy" type of place and although I'll be "based" there I'm not really a "touristy" kinda guy too much...what I'm looking for is suggestions on where to go and things to do to see the country and spend more times hanging with Dominicans rather than foreign tourists all the time.

Any ideas on places to visit, nightlife, things to do (and NOT to do), best ways to improve my Spanish, etc. all very appreciated! If you respond please include advice on getting around also since I will not have a car (just as well as I'd probably too afraid to drive in the DR anyway--last thing I need is some horrific accident with a motorconcho or an animal or something :). I already know it seems the bus is a good way to move around from town to town. Thanks in advance.

Peace

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
SH6811 said:
Hi all,

I realize Sosua is a "touristy" type of place and although I'll be "based" there I'm not really a "touristy" kinda guy too much...what I'm looking for is suggestions on where to go and things to do to see the country and spend more times hanging with Dominicans rather than foreign tourists all the time.

Any ideas on places to visit, nightlife, things to do (and NOT to do).......
Peace
There is always the weekly poker game at Rocky's Restaurant in Sosua. It is every Thursday night at 8:00 PM. It is frequented mostly by a group of middle-aged, burned out, local ex-pats, who can't play poker to save their lives. You may be able to recoup the cost of your vacation by playing.;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am going to suggest you search for some posts made by a guy who called himself-due to a slip of the fingers, : "Sliver Ghost" and later "Silver Ghost" He did a whole bunch of fun things up there---and his posts are good reading.

Also Robert's post on Damajagua Falls that was written and photographed by Cleef...

HB :D:D

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hillbilly said:
I am going to suggest you search for some posts made by a guy who called himself-due to a slip of the fingers, : "Sliver Ghost" and later "Silver Ghost" He did a whole bunch of fun things up there---and his posts are good reading.
HB, unfortunately searching for "Sliver Ghost", "Silver Ghost", and "Gray Ghost" gives about 300 (well not quite, only about 10) threads where you mention the reference.:D:D:D

The OP needs to search for Sliverghost or SilverGhost. Here's a few links to get him started:

BTW, while reading some of those threads, I noticed we have the same Alma Mater; we even attened the same campus.

Last edited:

SH6811

Oct 24, 2005
Hey y'all,

Just wanted to say thanks for the posts, you've already given me some things to think about!

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.