A question for thought

membruce

Jul 14, 2002
I would like to pose the following question. I don't have an answer but I think that it is worth thinking about.

Should an ecology forum for a developing country focus on the environmental impact of various technologies?

Perhaps the goal should be economic and educational development even when it is at a short term detriment to the environment. As I stated in another post, there is nothing more damaging to an ecology then an impoverished population.

I thought of this when I remembered someone who once said to me that ?they (people in a area of Mexico) deserve to be poor if they cut down all of there trees?. My reply was, if your children were starving, would you cut down a tree to feed them?

Bruce

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Bruce, like I said before - you ask such difficult questions. ;)

For what it is worth, my thoughts. If there is very little, any ecological effort is worth while. Like in the land of the blind, the one with the 1 eye is king. Is this right, or correct, surely not, but it is something.

There are many levels of interest on this forum. There are the people who are interested in one thing only, there are the folks that like to work on a structural, political and legal level, and there are the hopeless romantics with a tinge of education.

All of us form a part. Nothing is ideal. Personally I like to investigate deep ecology. But I am only one of many. We have to learn to work with all of our talents, and we have to learn to appreciate what 'the other guy' brings to the table. As long as the intent is right, I think we can do great things. And knowing most everyone connected with green issues around us, the intent is right.

It is the age old question. If you know how, do you feed someone first, or do you teach them to fish first? It is a hard philisophical question.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I don't have an answer, but the mayor of Curritiba, Brasil just might. They have been doing some very interesting things there lately. I will look for a link for you.

The reason I mention this is the poverty in Brasil is similar to that of the D.R., yet in Curritiba, they have found ways to help protect the environment while generating revenue.

Not much can get off the ground and fly very long in a developing country if it is not financially productive. Hungry people need food first, as we can all agree. Sorry if I got off subject. I think there IS a slight link here.....

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
samanasuenos said:
I don't have an answer, but the mayor of Curritiba, Brasil just might. They have been doing some very interesting things there lately. I will look for a link for you.

The reason I mention this is the poverty in Brasil is similar to that of the D.R., yet in Curritiba, they have found ways to help protect the environment while generating revenue.

Not much can get off the ground and fly very long in a developing country if it is not financially productive. Hungry people need food first, as we can all agree. Sorry if I got off subject. I think there IS a slight link here.....
Actually, Curitiba (its proper spelling), capital of the state of Paran?, has been doing very interesting things in the environment field for decades, not just lately. It traces its origins back to an urban planning group started in the 1960's, combined with a very heavy emphasis on constant and steady environmental education of its citizens. Which is why people from all over the world go to Curitiba to study how they did it (including a Dominican delegation a few years back) and what lessons might be gleaned from it. But so far, few -- even in Brazil, which has a stronger environmental movement than in most Latin American nations.

Best Regards,
Keith
A Brazil Nut :cheeky:

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Thanks for the correction!

I appreciate your chiming in.

Yes, Curitiba has been at it for years. BUT. It is never too late to start in the D.R.

For example, with a highway to Samana from the capital, topped by the new international airport - there wil be more and more money to be made in Samana. Money that could be taxed to provide environmental programs/jobs, maybe jobs training kids in the schools, endless possibilities.

Signed, hopeless dreamer, sorry for small carjack of thread - giving your keys back to ya now...:)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
It's not "my" thread (I'm not OP) and I'm not trying to shut you down, by any means. Just trying to point out that Curitiba is a difficult model to emulate for anyone in Latin America, perhaps especially in a place like Samana. Curitiba has succeeded because (1) it was planned that way, nearly four decades ago; (2) local politicians and planners have maintained their political dedication to the goal over those 40 years; (3) education, constant, steady, environmental education, has been maintained.

A couple of other things. Curitiba is a large city (Samana is not), so its gains have been in the context of integrating environment with large-scale urban planning. Second, Curitiba is the capital of a state, and in Brazil, states are much more powerful, have their own financial resources and more autonomy than do Dominican municipalities and provinces. Paran? threw much resources into making Curitiba a showcase for urban planning. Last but not least, one of the prime movers in making Curitiba realize its vision, Jaime Lerner, went from being mayor to being governor, where he continued to support Curitiba's development with even more resources.

If you read other threads in this forum (such as the one on environmental education) or the Green Team blog, you know that I not discourage dreaming about environmental improvement in the DR by any means. In fact, we want people to get out of the defeatist, "never here," "can't work" "no use trying" mode so many have about environmental issues in the DR. And we could always use help in dealing with issues involving Samana...think about it.

Best Regards,
Keith

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Adios!

Thank you so much. I have to run now. Have a great day, and thanks so much.

Apologies to Bruce for the carjack. (The keys are under the mat, by the way..)