Getting From Santiago to Maimon - the Rius

ddny

Jan 4, 2006
ihola!
Need local advice pour favor. We're flying in to Santiago on Jan 26 early afternoon. Need to get to the Riu Merengue. I see there are several bus lines like Caribe & Metro. Do they go to POP airport or the town of Puerto Plata or both?
If POP airport we have a free shuttle ride but I see the town is closer to Maimon. In any case, is it easy to get a taxi from bus stop to Maimon? Is it necessary to make a reservation (somehow) with a bus company ahead of time?
We are so looking forward to visiting DR - warm sun, ocean, etc.. However we also wonder whether we are a little isolated from local life staying in Maimon. (that could be both bad & good I guess) :ermm:
Any words of wisdom for new visitors would be welcomed. Gracias.:classic:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
A little geography lesson is needed. When you head East from Santiago you will reach Maimon and your hotel about 10 minutes before you reach the city of Puerto Plata. As you continue East you reach Puerto Plata. From Puerto Plata you have to travel about 25 minutes before you reach POP airport. So you see, the shortest distance is from STI airport directly to your hotel. The Santiago to Puerto Plata buses will pass directly past the Rui hotel. I don't know about Caribe Tours, but Javilla Tour buses will stop right at the hotel before you get to town. Javilla buses are smaller buses though, worse case you buy an extra seat for your luggage, about 60 pesos.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Caribe Tours and Metro buses go to terminals in Puerto Plata, not to the airport. They won't stop at your hotel, so you will need to take a taxi from the terminal to the hotel.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Easy solution: send an email to Roc?o Valerio at palomalinda0890@hotmail.com
Tell her your flight number and estimated time of arrival.
She and her husband have a very good service that will pick you and your party up at the airport and deposit you at your hotel.
So far, they have proved to be the very best of all such services.

Be sure to book your return trip in time to make your plane.

HB:D:D:D