POP vs. STI

nyjcr

Feb 25, 2005
Hi,
I'm looking at flights to the DR, we are planning to go to Puerto Plata in July.
I noticed that the flights to Santiago are reasonably cheaper (over $125.00 dollars) and with a family of 5, that's a good chunk of change.

is it worth flying to Santiago rather than to Puerto Plata where we are going to be staying?

how far is Puerto Plata from the Santiago airport?
also, if any of you have phone numbers of "private" taxi companies that would be great...

regards,
JC

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
It takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, depending on the route and the time of day. A taxi will cost about $70US, possibly more for a van to fit five passengers plus luggage.

If you are looking for an excellent driver, send an email to Roc?o Valerio at palomalinda0890@hotmail.com

I've used them on numerous occasions and have no complaints. Plus, JJ speaks English and is an excellent tour guide, if you want him to take you around POP, STI or anywhere in between.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I seem to be seconding "Rellosk's " posts today.

This one is right on, that is for sure. Let's see: 5 x 125 = 625
So $625 - $100 for a nice a/c van + English speaking driver = $525.

So $525 - $100 for me and "rellosk" for making up your mind for you = $425.

Not bad savings for a few minutes on the internet, huh?? :p:p:p

HB :D:D:D

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Hillbilly said:
I seem to be seconding "Rellosk's " posts today.

This one is right on, that is for sure. Let's see: 5 x 125 = 625
So $625 - $100 for a nice a/c van + English speaking driver = $525.

So $525 - $100 for me and "rellosk" for making up your mind for you = $425.

Not bad savings for a few minutes on the internet, huh?? :p:p:p

HB :D:D:D
You forgot to add the $50 he would have paid for transfers from POP airport. Just a grande Presidente for me.;)

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
if you arrive during the day, you get a 'free' sightseeing trip too....and a lesson in Dominican driving through the mountain road, which is always an adventure.

midnitemed

Dec 7, 2005
Flying into POP is a lot easier, however you're right, it is a lot cheaper to fly into STI. Their are also more direct flights into STI. I've been doing this for about 2 years (approx. 15 times). The ride is not that bad.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Just curious. Why is so much cheaper to fly to STI, is it the airport fees that are so different ?

Jan 5, 2006
Flying to STI is cheaper because of the volume of travelers. As an example, there are 7 direct, non-stop daily flights from the NY area into STI, as opposed to 3 or 4 per week into POP.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Tor said:
Just curious. Why is so much cheaper to fly to STI, is it the airport fees that are so different ?
It is not always cheaper. I just checked some random dates in February and the ewr-pop and ewr-sti flights were about the same price ($300US including taxes) on Continental.

Last edited:

Mari217

Sep 2, 2005
I would suggest you fly to POP direct instead of driving there after arriving in STI.
POP is more expensive b/c people going there are mostly going to the resorts.
I don't think it is worth the hassle of finding a taxi to take you to Puerto Plata.
Just fly direct : )

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hassle??? You do not know much about Santiago or the services provided.

You get in touch with JJ, you tell him the day date and flt. number and he is there to take you your "significant other" and your off spring to whereever you want to go at a reasonable price that will save hundreds (in the case mentioned above) plus give a few of us money for beers and Kipes...:p:p:p

No hassles, if you do it right.....

HB :D:D Staunch defender of STI

midnitemed

Dec 7, 2005
I don't fly out of Newark, but it is cheaper from JFK. Compare prices from JFK-POP and JFK-STI and you will see.

A

apostropheman

out of 6 trips to the DR only my first was into POP, 4 into STI and one into PC. I save hundreds of $$$ per trip, solo, and have come to love the buses and guaguas here....although i MAY be a bit mental:rambo:

considering the savings and that it's only a 2 hour or so trip from STI to Puerto Plata why wouldn't you fly into STI?:surprised

A

apostropheman

:eek: BUSTED!:rambo:

except for a minor little incident it was my best trip to the DR so far...i'm returning on the 27th:surprised

I MAY have an addiction issue:classic:

Jan 5, 2006
midnitemed said:
I don't fly out of Newark, but it is cheaper from JFK. Compare prices from JFK-POP and JFK-STI and you will see.

You really have to check both. There are times when flying Continental from Newark (EWR) will be the same price or even cheaper than flying Jetblue or AA from JFK or Delta from LGA. For me, the overiding factor though, is schedule. Since AA has 3 or 4 flights daily into/out of STI depending on the time of year, I mostly go the JFK-STI route because I want to maximize my time in DR.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Hillbilly said:
You get in touch with JJ, you tell him the day date and flt. number and he is there to take you your "significant other" and your off spring to whereever you want to go at a reasonable price that will save hundreds (in the case mentioned above)

No doubt in my mind, JJ is the way to go. The ride thru the mountains is beautiful. JJ will provide a guided tour with stops for photos, exchanging money, shopping, and anything else you may need.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Mari217 said:
I would suggest you fly to POP direct instead of driving there after arriving in STI.
POP is more expensive b/c people going there are mostly going to the resorts.
I don't think it is worth the hassle of finding a taxi to take you to Puerto Plata.
Just fly direct : )
Another geographically chalanged poster who thinks POP airport is near the Puerto Plata resorts. Either way you need transfers. Weigh the savings versus an additional 45 minutes in transfer time.