Exporting DR coffee to North America

rush

Jan 22, 2005
thanks Kieth, talked to some distrbutors who told me that most of the coffee crop plants have been infested with sometype of root rot. Current distribution is but a handful. Most of the coffee found today from various houses are now imported and blended with the scarce supply of local stuff
We will wait until the problem resolves.
thanks again

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I don't know whether this was covered in the thread that Keith mentioned.

Back in the early 60s, the government decided to enter into an import substitution scheme in order to broaden the "industrial" base in the DR. Previous to this all the industry was owned by the state--basically inherited from the Trujillo regime--hides/tannery, metal working=nails and barbed wire, shoes, molded plastic/rubber boots, salt mining, sugar, some tobacco (La Tabacalera),glass=a monopoly on all rum bottles:p, and maybe something else I forgot.

So, in order to provide incentives for the new "industrialists", the government had to allow them to import their raw materials, equipment and so forth, duty-free. But this was a Catch 22. If the govenment didn't get the duties from the imports, where was it going to get the money to function? The answer was the beginning of the death knell for local coffee, cacao, tobacco and sugar crops. The answer was tax the exports!! :p, can you believe that? Tax those crops that had kept the DR debt free for nearly 25 years were now going to be taxed.

Growers stopped taking care of the plantations; coffee, and other crops declined, and by the 80s, the DR could not even meet the assigned sugar quota for the US market, and even ended up importing refined sugar!!

Now, with coffee back in style, along with cacao, ther is a major move to improve the plantations and upgrade the crop. This is, in part, what Julia and her husband are trying to do. The head of the JAD, Jos? Antonio Mart?nez is a major cacao grower.

But, there are more flies in the ointment: Like a lot of folks, the coffee and cacao growers like to live well and what has happened is that three or so major exporters, like Munn? for example, have "financed" these growers with the crops mortgaged to guarantee the "financing". So, even before it is harvested, most of the crop is already sold/mortgaged to the Munn?s or the Peraltas (Caf? Santo Domingo). The little bit that is left over is so expensive that it can't compete on the world commodity markets. You can try but you'll take a beating, methinks.

HB

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
From the time that I wrote that sanitized piece, the picture is darkening greatly. The big growers are moving into the DR (organically, or so they say). Just yesterday I heard of large tracts of land being turned over to pineapples - organic pineapples, or so they say - this is just monoculture with organic fertilizers. It is a disgrace to the word organic and is simply exploiting the current openness of the market. No, I won't mention the company.

On the other hand, I heard of something very very good and we'll surely do a GT blog about it when I can lift my head from my current murderous workload. In March, we have a permaculture workshop in the DR. What is permaculture you may ask? Well, it is what organic is supposed to be and yes, we'll do a GT blog about it when.... .

Anyone interested? It will be presented in both languages by permaculturists and ecovillagers out of Puerto Rico.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I know what permaculture is, and I'd be interested. :cheeky: But if it's in the first half of March, I wouldn't be able to attend, as I am supposed to be in South America then. :cry:

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I am interested. The cafecito story is great. I want Dominican avacados and mangos on my table. You just can't find them here, the avacados are from CA and who knows about the mangos!! Ecuador I think. And Florida.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
25 y 26 de Marzo ? Introducci?n a la Permacultura, Rodolfo Pierre, Alberto, Felipe Berm?dez

This is all the info I have at the moment. I don't know what the venue will be. Felipe will keep me informed and I'll let you know...