Continental POP - LGW

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hi there

Has anyone flown from POP via EWR to LGW with Continental?

There is a stopover time of just 1 hr 5 mins.....I will only have hand luggage (not checking in any suitcases)......do you think it is possible to make the connection with this little time?? I am not sure whether I will need to change terminal

Has anyone tried?

Thanks
Daydream

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
It's possible to make the connection. You don't need to change terminals, but you will need to clear customs and immigration. Generally, immigration moves quick in Newark. Right now all four DR flights (POP/STI/SDQ/SUJ) arrive about the same time.

Why not take the later flight?

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
daydream said:

There is a stopover time of just 1 hr 5 mins.....I will only have hand luggage (not checking in any suitcases)......do you think it is possible to make the connection with this little time??

I have never made this flight but I am very familiar with EWR, I live 15 minutes away. If you are talking about flt CO712 and CO18 you should not have any problem. I use CO712. Flight CO712 lands at terminal C, the international arrival terminal. Flight CO18 departs from terminal C. Once you depart the plane, etc., you will be at your departure terminal within 10 minutes. There should be no problem if you decide to check your luggage.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
Hi rellosk/bigbird

Thanks for your replies....yes I am talking about the flight numbers you mention.

Reason why I can't take the later flight is because I have to be at work for 9am on Wed and the later flight doesn't arrive until 8:30am.

Given that I don't have to change terminal I think I am going to try my luck and take the risk.....:classic:

Let's just hope that the flight from POP leaves on time.....I will let you know how I go!

Thanks again
Daydream

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
daydream said:
Hi there

There is a stopover time of just 1 hr 5 mins.....I will only have hand luggage (not checking in any suitcases)......do you think it is possible to make the connection with this little time?? I am not sure whether I will need to change terminal

Has anyone tried?

Thanks
Daydream

Sorry, I never went that route but EWR pretty good on making time.

Just an example last month from STI to Miami and connecting Tampa i had....25 min to connect with only carry on and I had no problem and Miami requires a lot more walking than EWR so you should be fine.;)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
daydream said:
Let's just hope that the flight from POP leaves on time.....I will let you know how I go!

Thanks again
Daydream

You might want to monitor the EWR-POP morning flight. I may be wrong but I think the EWR-POP morning flight is the same plane for the afternoon POP-EWR flight. This being the case you can start to panic sooner if the morning flight leaves late ;) I know for sure that is how it works at STI.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
bigbird said:
You might want to monitor the EWR-POP morning flight. I may be wrong but I think the EWR-POP morning flight is the same plane for the afternoon POP-EWR flight. This being the case you can start to panic sooner if the morning flight leaves late ;) I know for sure that is how it works at STI.

Thanks for the tip....I will keep my eye on that.

I have just checked the later flight from EWR to LGW and there are still 61 seats left! (I will be travelling next week) So if the worst comes to the worst and I do miss the earlier flight then hopefully I can get a seat on the later flight and be late for work (I will start thinking up my excuses now ;) )

I wonder how much extra I would have to pay to get on to the later flight should I miss the earlier one?....shouldn't that cost be covered by insurance?.... I will have to check

tgood1

Jan 1, 2005
I would give it a little longer. I made a connection there with 55 min and had to run across the airport to catch my flight, got on just as they where about to close the door. Between claiming your bag, going through customs, back through security, and inevitably your connection will be as far away as possible. I would recommend more time.

Or just go with the flow and if you miss your flight then there must be another way to get there.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
daydream said:
Thanks easygoin

25 mins!! wow.....I am too risk averse for that short a stopover ;)

Well it was due to A.A. flight arriving late into STI the night before and the crew has to have so many hours rest... but I was a little nervous.;)

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
tgood1 said:
I would give it a little longer. I made a connection there with 55 min and had to run across the airport to catch my flight, got on just as they where about to close the door. Between claiming your bag, going through customs, back through security, and inevitably your connection will be as far away as possible. I would recommend more time.

Or just go with the flow and if you miss your flight then there must be another way to get there.

luckily I won't be checking in any luggage so no bags to claim......

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I don't think you have to clear customs in EWR. Why would you? You're not entering the USA just connecting for a continuing flight.
Usually they put you in a secure room where you can't leave in order to await your connecting flight.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
NY1 said:
I don't think you have to clear customs in EWR. Why would you? You're not entering the USA just connecting for a continuing flight.
Usually they put you in a secure room where you can't leave in order to await your connecting flight.

I believe she would have to clear customs, due to coming from another country.

STI to Miami then to Tampa... I have to go through customs in Miami... but I could be wrong?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bigbird said:
That's a good idea. All the EWR-DR flights are turn around flights.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
NY1 said:
Not sure, but I don't believe there are any "secure" rooms in any US airport. Otherwise, Dominicans without a visa would be able to connect in the US on their way to other destinations.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bigbird said:
Once you depart the plane, etc., you will be at your departure terminal within 10 minutes.
You're way off, it will take almost 10 minutes to walk from the plane to immigration. Clearing immigration and customs 5-20 minutes depending on the crowd and staffing. Re-entering security, anywhere from 5-20+ minutes. Then possible another 10 minute walk to the gate.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
daydream said:
Reason why I can't take the later flight is because I have to be at work for 9am on Wed and the later flight doesn't arrive until 8:30am.
Wow, 12 hours of travel time, only carry-on luggage, straight into work. I'd love to hear you story. Haven't you been in the DR the last few months?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
rellosk said:
You're way off, it will take almost 10 minutes to walk from the plane to immigration. Clearing immigration and customs 5-20 minutes depending on the crowd and staffing. Re-entering security, anywhere from 5-20+ minutes. Then possible another 10 minute walk to the gate.

Since you had covered these details in a prior post I posted "departing the plane,etc." The etc. was meant to cover the items you had previously mentioned. Sorry if I confused anyone.

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
report back.....

By the time I got around to booking the two Continental flights the price almost doubled! so I ended up booking on Jetblue from STI and then an AA flight to London......stopover was 2.5 hrs in JFK so unfortunately I can't give you an update on whether an hour stopover at EWR is enough time or not - sorry

Daydream

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
daydream said:
By the time I got around to booking the two Continental flights the price almost doubled! so I ended up booking on Jetblue from STI and then an AA flight to London......stopover was 2.5 hrs in JFK so unfortunately I can't give you an update on whether an hour stopover at EWR is enough time or not - sorry
I'm guessing you made it into work.:)