Bus from Puerto Plata/Sosua to Samana

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This should be made a sticky since the question is frequently asked.

Neither Metro or Caribe Tours has a bus from Puerto Plata/Sosua to Samana. There was a Caribe Tours bus for a short period of time, but that service ended in late 2004.

A private bus run by Transporte Papagayo makes the trip daily, including Sunday.

The bus leaves Parque Hospital in Puerto Plata at 6:30 am, passes by the big Playero Supermarket and police station in Sosua about 7 am, and continues on through Cabarete, Rio San Juan, Nagua, and Sanchez to Samana. Anywhere along this route you can flag the bus down.

The bus arrives in Samana around 10:15-10:30 am.

The bus is maroon and white and has a white sign with black letters--Puerto Plata-Samana--on the front of the bus.

The bus departs Samana at 2 pm. It waits in front of the Aduana (across the street from the central park) until about 1:45 pm, then goes down and waits across the street from the farmers' market until 2 pm.

On the return trip, it picks up people waiting along the road between Samana and Sanchez and in Nagual, and drops people off in the various towns.

Hard to say when it will get to Sosua, but normally between 5:30-6:00 pm

The owner is Rufino Salvador. His telephone is 809-970-2991 and his cel is 809-749-6415/809-376-0136.

You can also send letters and packages to Samana via this bus. Flag it down and pay whatever the charge is. The driver will deliver the letter or package to the person you are sending it to. I've sent parcels this way a number of times.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Great info!

It will not be made a sticky, but will go into a new section we are opening soon.

Thanks.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It costs 150RD to Samana from Sosua. This could change, but not by much.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
If you are going to Las Terrenas or Playa Bonita get off at Sanchez at the Texaco station and take a guagua. On the return trip do it in reverse, be at the Texaco a little after 2pm.

BTW Ken I'm sure you know better than MOI, but I thought the bus was Maroon and yellow?