1st Trip-Jan 8-15/06-"Unbelievable"!!!

megamania

Sep 10, 2005
Hola!! First and foremost, a sincere "thank-you" to all on this forum who took the time to answer many, many questions I had while planning our trip!! It certainly was appreciated and very helpful!!

We flew out of T.O. on Jan 8/06. Slight delay when we got on the plane. Had to fix a little light over the exit sign in back of plane - took at least 45 minutes by the time the paperwork was done!! Flew with Skyservice - price was good - total with taxes (flight cancellation-no medical as we have our own) was 1393.00 Canadian for two people. Direct flight. Arrived in POP at around noon. My brother in law's brother has a villa at Cofresi Beach, so he and his friend Ram bo picked us up, grabbed a few "cold" Presidente's and we were on our way.
Yummy beer!!!The weather was sort of crappy, rain, etc., but nother could damper our mood.

We checked into the Windsurf Resort in Cabarete. We stayed in a two bedroom, two bathroom condo, overlooking the pool. The room was immaculate!! The staff at Windsurf could not have been friendlier! After all the hassel and disappointment, etc. with my original plans (confirmed previously at Ocean Manor) I was very pleasantly surprised. The Windsurf Resort is certainly located right in the middle of everything. Grocery, pharmacy, restaurants, etc. are all right there. Good mix of people stay there, young and old, some kids, etc. Pool was very clean, restaurant served up good food.They had a barbeque for the guests on night, then a Dominican meal another night. All was great. Lots of Canadians stay there - mostly from Winnipeg. Sandra who is avail to assist guests, etc. is so friendly and helpful.
You could not ask for a nicer person. Whatever you needed, she was there.
Bottom line- Windsurf is a beautiful resort, great location, great staff!!

We had quite a time finding out where Taco Tuesday was held, but being persistant paid off! We got a cab and made it there. What a great night.
Taco's were yummy,, but it was all about the "people" and the "setting". Night was again, wet, bit cool and windy, but nothing could prevent us from totally enjoying ourselves. If you haven't been - GO!! Sandy and Rob - if you are reading this - "Thank you" again.

Finally on Wednesday the weather shaped up. It turned hot and sunny. Yeah, what we had been waiting for. We went to the beach at Cabarete, which was very nice, but not as clean as I would have liked - But, who cares?!! It was a nice long beach. We had a few drinks at Jose OShays right on the beach. A bit pricey to say the least - buy hey! we are on holidays. Took a long walk up the beach trying to find Ocean's Manor. Found it! You were all right about that place! It is going to be absolutely beautiful, but I cannot see anyone being booked in there for another 4 months! I would not want to go there for at least a year or two!! Lovely ocean front, etc., but a long way to go. Location as far as all other action, definitely not as convenient as Windsurf, but, it is whatever your preference is. Lady Di (Deanna) who was there was very pleasant and showed us through all the "unfinished, unfurnished" condos. We did see two rooms that were finished, and as I assumed, "lovely". Same quality of furnishings, stereo, workmanship, etc. as our home resort Georgian Manor in Collingwood. Definitely a place to check out in future!!!!!

We ventured by cab to Rocky's in Sosua on Thursday night. Not much happen ing there as it was Poker night. Asked for Marco, but when we first arrived he was taking a rest. Then we ate us some of the yummy ribs, and I mean yummy!! We all enjoyed them immensely! Before we left I sauntered over to a table of men and asked for Marco. Found him and Howmar and had a nice chat. They asked me to join the poker game, and when I said I didn't know how to play Poker, they told me for sure "sit down-!!! Not on your life!!!)
I would definitely go back again, (not for Poker) but for the ribs! Ha, Ha.
(Nice try Marco!!!)

We called the fellow that picked us up at the airport (Rambo) and he took us on a day trip! right to the plantation-fruit farm to sample and see....(really neat) and then on to San Juan for the Lagoon boat ride out to the swallow caves, jump into the ocean and then to a nice little beach for drinks (cannot remember the name of it) Real nice guide (Felix). Cost was 1000 pesos for 4 of us. When we got back off the boat, we ate "dominican" style right in San Juan. Then off to Playa Grande beach --- "BREATH TAKING". !!!! Loved it!
Then back to Sosua, as our driver had to pick up some school children at two different schools and drop them off near Cofreshi and Puerto Plata. We had some school supplies and gifts for the children - My god,,,what beautiful children. I LOVED this part of it!!! I love the people in the D.R. Then we went to my relatives villa right behind Ocean World. Of course had refreshments and then our driver took us home. Absolutely wonderful day. I will never forget it!!!

We ate at many different little places in Cabarete. Hexenegger (Spell check?) right down the street from Windsurf - German food. All four of ate and drank for around 30.00 u.s. Great Schnitzel and sauerkraut!!
On our last night, we went to Ocean Taste! - Unfortunately we had a very bad, I mean bad, meal. My husband and I ordered Surf and Turf - (32.00 u.s. each). I at least expected "some" lobster. I finally had to ask the waiter to look at my plate - I saved every little piece of lobster meat that I could find after picking through the "mess of shells, etc." He was quick to bring back a platter of basically the same "empty shells, tentacles, etc. Never seen anything like it. The filet was soooo salty could not eat it, and, it had a poor taste. Even the rum and coke was very bad tasting. I was sooooo disappointed. Keep in mind - tax at this place is 26%, we got it down to 15%.
Just not a good experience. I spoke to Rene, as this was the contact person there (manager?) and told him what had happened. I will give him this much, he offered to have us all come back for a free buffet breakfast the next day.
That was very nice to at least try to do something for us. However, as soon as I got back to the room, I was ill, I mean very ill. I just could not face trying it again the next day. I do hate to sound so negative about a place, but that is exactly how it happened. Our total bill for 4 people, who went away hungry was 162.00 U.S. I will tell you that the French Onion soup was delicious! Oh well, live and learn. You guys were right, no good lobster (my favourite food in the world) in Cabarete.

To finish up, just in case I am running on and on,,,,,, I would definitely come to the D.R. again. It was our first time, and we had some reservatinos about how safe it would be, how the food would be, etc.etc. To anyone reading this......(put those kind of worries away, and go with the flow) DO, and I cannot stress enough, get out of the resort and experience the "flavour" of the country! There is so much to offer in this wonderful country. I know now, that one week is NOT enough. I was just getting into the swing of things. Had I stayed all inclusive in our own little world, one week would be plenty.
From the beautiful scenery, the food to the most awesome people, it was all worth every cent!!!
Cannot wait to get back. It was -12 c when we got off in Toronto. (Boo Hoo)

Again, my thanks to everyone on this forum. HOpe to see some of you again in the not too distant future.
If you ever need any info if planning on coming to Canada,,,send me a PM and I will be more than happy to help you out!!!

Meg,Randy,Todd and Wendy;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Meg, good trip report.

The name of the German place was probably Hexenkessel (I think it means Witches Pot).

Jose OShays has gotten many bad reviews here. As a matter of fact I don't recall anyone saying anything good about the place.

abe

Jan 2, 2002
Windsurf Resort

Glad you got to sample the Windsurf. I told you it would be good!
And, for all the timeshare nay-sayers on this board, the Windsurf Resort is predominantly a timeshare. Sold to a great degree back in Winnipeg and the Prairie Provinces--an off-site sales operation, not relying on pestering vacationers in Cabarete and luring them with cheap gifts.

Plus, as evidenced by this review, they deliver the goods year after year.

It is proof that, with good intentions and a commitment to owners, timeshare can work--both for the developer and for the owners. I would agree with the nay-sayers that most timeshares are baloney, but there are exceptions. Windsurf Resort is one.

No, I am not a paid endorser. Neither was Meg.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We still have your seat waiting for you, at the poker table.
Nice meeting you, and glad you had such a great time.
It's obvious that you have a good attitude and probably have fun wherever you go, but the DR sure makes it easier.

brit

Jun 28, 2005
Thank you Meg, You and your guests are welcome to come back to the Windsurf any time.
regards
sandra