My Day in the DR

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
So I had a one-day stop in the Dominican Republic during a Christmas cruise on the MS Zaandam, Dec 24. Initially I was excited to be back in the Dr after an absence of eight years and to see how things have changed. I was shocked. Sure, the new highway to Santo Domingo is impressive, but I could not believe the amount of garbage and grittiness everywhere. It was never like that when I lived there. I was shocked to see the deplorable condition of El Faro: some of the light globes were broken, the steps leading to it are starting to settle and crack (probably the age old vicios de construcion) and the building needs a good power-wash.

On the other hand, the Colonial City still retains its charm and I found it to be in relatively good shape, and I only saw one beggar!!!!! Some other observations:

*They should train the workers in La Romana port to not make fun of the passengers, as many understand spanish. Is not the best way to start your day in a port of call.
In the other islands, the port workers greeted the cruisers with smiles, music and open arms. Here is an actual news article about the Zaandam's visit to St. Croix, the day after its visit to La Romana:

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article_home?id=11682242

*They need to screen the taxi providers in the Port. A group of six passengers got abandoned by a taxi in a remote beach, two hours away from the Port. They had made the mistake of prepaying the round trip. Luckily, a good Samaritan took pitty on them and raced them to the Port. He did not accept any compensation. They were only 10 minutes late.

*At some tourist trap in La Romana you could hear the clerks asking each other how much they should charge this person or that person. Again, many gringos understand Spanish.

*The tour guide obviously had a political agenda and scarred everyone to death with his opinions. People just wanted to return to the ship- alive! It did not help to see motorcycles(motoconchos) with big propane gas tanks cutting in front of the bus. The things you see in the DR!

*As the ship sailed away, you could hear the passengers on the Lido Deck just exchanging horror stories of their day in the DR. It was both amusing and very unfortunate indeed.

Anyway, I hope the DR tourism authorities clean up, literally, their act. How about putting some "real professionals" in place? There is no reason why the DR should not be the best port of call!

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They'll never learn!! POP managed to turn away 8 ships a week a long time ago!!

Same schitt, different port! D@mnit! And the Ministry? Fine thanks...

P.O.'d HB :ermm: :ermm:

And, generally speaking, it is the few that screw it up for the many!!!!!!

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Hillbilly said:
They'll never learn!! POP managed to turn away 8 ships a week a long time ago!!

Same schitt, different port! D@mnit! And the Ministry? Fine thanks...

P.O.'d HB :ermm: :ermm:

And, generally speaking, it is the few that screw it up for the many!!!!!!

I agree with Hillbilly. And if the "good people" knew what was happening, and the damage it does to the economy, they could do something about it.

Scandall