Real curiosity about the use of diapers

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Please don't laugh at me. I am truly curious. On various occasions, I have seen a young mother stop into her local colmado to pick up a few things. and one Pamper.

Why one?

At first, I thought - hey, she's barely surviving; she can only afford one at a time.

After some time with a small infant in diapers, I realize that you can easily go through 3 or more per day.

So, if a mother in the DR is buying one, every once in a while, or one every day....why?

Is it because she was taking the baby out and wanted to look fancy/well off
Is it because she keeps one diaper on all day (I hope not!)
Is it because the kid goes diaperless after that one is thrown out.

I just do not get it. And I wasn't going to ask. And then I saw a show on how in the USA it is all the rage to NOT buy any diapers and train your babies way early to use the pot or let you know when they want to go. They claim a diaper impedes the baby's feeling wet, and that without a diaper, baby's can and do pay more attention to when they feel the urge, and they cited developing countries.

So, I am just wondering.

I do not need to know how expats use or do not use diapers. What I am talking about is local moms, not wealthy ones, and how they use that one daily diaper.

All replies and guesses are welcome, especially if you work with babies and moms in healthcare in the DR.

Thanks!

yasmin

Jun 16, 2005
Why they buy only one at a time, is probably because a whole package is too expensive. Like everything else they buy in small amount when going to a colmado.
The way I saw it with my family in law: They use one diaper for the night, then during the day, most people stay at home all day with their babies so they put them shorts or underpants to crawl around. When they are dirty they give them a quick bath and change the shorts. They use a diaper when they are going somewhere (for example a trip by bus).
What I noticed too was that they don't take babies out a lot, most families live all together, so there's always somebody to take care of the baby when their mom has to go somewhere. (it has not really something to do with the diapers, but to me it was noticeable.)

Yasmin

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We Are On # 4 Baby Here In Santo Domingo!

My wife and "Grandma" are "Dominicanas"! They use "Pampers" like there is no tomorrow.5 or 6 a day per child!
Poor buy 1 at a time because they can't buy a "Box"!
Dominicans never toilet train their kids! Most wear diapers until they are 4 or 5 years old.Some much older!The kids stop when they get too embarassed to keep using a diaper.
CCCCCCCCCCCCC

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That's not what I've observed as far as diapers go. In poorer families, it's pretty much as Yasmin describes. Maybe the wealthier don't bother because it's the nanny who looks after the child and using pampers is less hassle than potty training - but that's just me speculating. In my extended family most of the children were potty trained sooner rather than later, but not excessively early either.

Biberones, though, are a different kettle of fish, so to speak... I know eight and nine year olds who still have their bedtime milk (with generous amounts of sugar, of course) from a baby bottle.:ermm:

yasmin

Jun 16, 2005
"Dominicans never toilet train their kids! Most wear diapers until they are 4 or 5 years old.Some much older!The kids stop when they get too embarassed to keep using a diaper."

So true! Same with the nursing bottle!! You see 5-6 year olds drinking milk from a nursing bottle! They even take it with them to bed to fall asleep! I tried to explain them that it's very bad for their teeth. The answer I got was, noooooo milk is very good for their teeth... They looked strange when I told them they should drink it out of a cup or glass.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was called an 'abusadora' because I replaced the bottle with a cup at about 18 months, before he was old enough to care.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Amazing the things you learn here. Very interesting, I don't think we've ever covered this subject.

The only time I've read about pampers mentioned it's from ccccccccc but that's another story ;)

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Shoot, my mom took all three of us off the bottle by the time we were 2. Matter of fact, my younger brother, who is 10 years my junior, didn't like the bottle and always wanted his "sippy cup" or whatever else he could grab, because he wanted to do like the big people :p

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Does anyone use cloth diapers in the DR anymore? Seems all I ever saw were pampers -- have even seen people bringing multiple value-pack bags (like you buy at the bulk "warehouse" stoes like BJ's, PriceSmart, etc.) of pampers with them on the airplane to Santo Domingo!

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
It's been 7 years and I have never seen one.

I have seen Haitian babies wearing dirty old rags, not quite the same thing.

For Dominicans it seems like "paper diaper" and "no diaper" are the choices.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
My experience has been that all the statements are true but the use of the diaper and bottle over an extended period of time is more prevalent with the poor. This has been going on for so long that is has become a custom as to how to raise a child. I believe that there are a number of factors involved in this. The custom or necessity to sleep 3 or more to a bed plays into this as nobody likes to have their sleeping arrangements dampened due to a bed wetter and because of this I have seen some children wear diapers till the age of 10, 11 and 12. A lot of toddlers that I see during the day run around with no diaper and the mothers end up washing a lot of underwear and doing a lot of mopping of the floors.

I think that a lot of these problems could be solved if potty training were to be initiated and at an early age. It is my opinion that the extended use of a diaper at night gives the child a false sense of security which inhibits their lack of learning muscle control within their own bodies.

Like Chirimoya I too was called a "abusadoro" because I too replaced the bottle at an early age . I even had a neighbor inform the Dept of Child Services of my actions and the president of said organization visited me and tried to tell me that what I was doing was wrong. After showing him my baby books, in English, and the information on the computer, in English, he went away upset because he was under the firm belief that the extended use of the bottle was okay and should be done by everybody. I questioned him as to how long a child should be in diapers and his belief was this could be done until such a time as the child self learned self control.

Rick

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Rick Snyder said:
Like Chirimoya I too was called a "abusadoro" because I too replaced the bottle at an early age . I even had a neighbor inform the Dept of Child Services of my actions and the president of said organization visited me and tried to tell me that what I was doing was wrong. After showing him my baby books, in English, and the information on the computer, in English, he went away upset because he was under the firm belief that the extended use of the bottle was okay and should be done by everybody. I questioned him as to how long a child should be in diapers and his belief was this could be done until such a time as the child self learned self control.

Rick

Isn't it heartening to discover that the Dept of Child Services exists, and that it has its priorities in order!:tired:
It's just a matter of time before Pib gets reported for not piercing Piblet's ears. Pib says "once she's 13, she can pierce anything she likes".

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
In my case my 2 y/o lets us know when she needs to use the bathroom (pee pee and caca). We only put on a diaper at night. She drinks her juice and water in a sippy cup but she likes her milk in a bottle. She won't drink her milk unless is in a bottle and she won't drink her juice and water unless is in a sippy cup go figure! The Dominican mentality is that we don't like to see our kids cry for something that they will outgrow on they own, how ever long it might take them or how weird it might look to others. We spoil them whenever we can and we punish them when we must.

RP23

Jul 15, 2005
My aunt buys alot of pampers and she sales them in her colmado. She tells me that many women buy only one pamper like they only buy food to make for one day. Most of the people there are so poor that they only can buy a small amount of things at a time, because they're money only comes in day by day. They work to eat.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Stodgord,
After reading your post I'm inclined to ask you just one question. In regards to your 2 year old daughter did she automatically one day start informing you that she had to use the bathroom or is this something that you taught her to do?

Rick

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Rick Snyder said:
Stodgord,
After reading your post I'm inclined to ask you just one question. In regards to your 2 year old daughter did she automatically one day start informing you that she had to use the bathroom or is this something that you taught her to do?

Rick

It was something she learned while using panties. Basically my wife bought her panties (pitapis as my daughter called it then) and since my daughter thought they were cool she started wearing them without resistance. It was a messy two or three weeks and everytime we reminded her what she needed to say. Many times she said it after the fact. Yes, the goal was to potty train her.

With her pacifier, basically my wife thought that my daughter had misplaced it, and everytime she asked for it we reminded her that she lost it. We later found out that my wife mistakenly put it away. When my wife found it she felt bad and try to give it back. I told her not to since she had gone over 2 weeks without it.

I am all for getting kids up and running on self independence as soon a possible. My daughter basically did not want to drink milk at all while is was being served in a sippy cup. After more than a month of her not drinking milk we gave up and got her a bottle. Now she drinks 2 to 4 bottles of milk a day. This is the first battle that we have lost, and we are willing to accept the defeat as long she is drinking the milk.

My son is now 14 months old and does not want to walk. He does not even make the intention of getting up and try to walk. My daughter walked before the first year on her own. I remember she wanting to constantly be on the floor and trying to get up and walk. My son is different, everytime we put him on the floor he curls up his leg. We have bought him walkers where he can sit and walk around and the one he can push on his own, I try walking with him to no avail, he has no interest of walking. He will soon get up and walk on his own.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My Firstborn Dominican Son spent the first two years of his life being carried!!!

Since he was the first "Rubio" in the family he was made the "PRINCE"!He was passed from relative to relative and then to the neighbors.Since then we have had two more,also spoiled rotten!
I HATE pacifiers!!! Luckily,only the "middle" girl ever used them.She will be 4 in May,and still does! I just try and let Dominicans be Dominicans!! I am heavily outnumbered here!!!Financially I will be much wealthier once we are done with Pampers and "Powdered Milk"!We are talking thousands of pesos per month!!:cry:
I have given in to the Dominican culture of having the kids in bed,and/or in the bedroom with the parents!We have a huge bedroom,with a "Kingsize" bed,a "Twin Bed",and two cribs!!The two little girls and our 8 year old son can be found using any or all of the above on any given night!Being "60" on my next birthday,means these kids are kind of like my children and grandchildren at the same time!It also means that I get up about 10 times during the night to "PI$$",so I take lots of time and pleasure in watching the kids sleeping,hugging them, smelling their hair,and thanking God for blessing me so!
My "Advise",raise your kids like your dominican family wants to raise them.On top of that,teach them to say,"Please & Thankyou"!Read to them,play games with them."Talk" to them,and don't forget to "listen" to them too.Dominicans don't spend what Americans call "Quality Time" with their kids!Kids here spend a lot more time with their sisters and brothers,and "Cousins".Probably because there are "LOTS" of both,and they usually live nearby,if not in the same house.I try to take turns giving eavch of our kids some "face Time" with just the two of us daily.Theyn really like feeling "Special"
I think that there are lots of advantages to a "Blended",or "Bi-Cultural" family.So let the kids "Get Something" from both their parents cultures,even if it means defering to the DR side more than the other way around!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Isn't this adorable, guys talking about their babies and pampers and toilet training and sippy cups. ;)

Maybe this is the start of things to come in.

AZB you better go get a wife and get her pregnant so you can keep up here :laugh: