Do i need a passport?

max_power94

Jan 29, 2006
I am travelling to Dominican Republic for a one week vacation from Canada and would like to know if I need to have a passport. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
yes

max_power94 said:
I am travelling to Dominican Republic for a one week vacation from Canada and would like to know if I need to have a passport. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I would recommend that you have one, they stamped our passport last time we went. I think most country require a passport.

monsoon68

Dec 19, 2005
max_power94 said:

You need a passport to travel to Rep. Dominicana.

You need a passport even to travel to the USA since 1st Jan, 2006.

Have a nice trip!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
monsoon68 said:
You need a passport to travel to Rep. Dominicana.

You need a passport even to travel to the USA since 1st Jan, 2006.
I thought the effective date was changed to December 31st, 2006.

monsoon68

Dec 19, 2005
:glasses: Sorry, you are right; USA for next year.

Important Note: The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will soon require all travelers to and from the Americas, the Caribbean, and Bermuda to have a passport or other accepted form of documentation to enter or reenter the United States. The program will be rolled out in phases. The proposed timeline is as follows:

December 31, 2006: Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/documentary_req.xml

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
max_power94 said:
According to Continental's website, you don't need a passport. However, you probably should check with the airline you are flying with to be certain.

National CANADA (CA) /Embarkation CANADA (CA)
Destination DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (DO)

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC (DO)

Passport recommended.

However, below documents are also accepted provided travelling
for tourist or business purposes:
- original birth certificate or military hospital issued Birth
Certificate accompanied by official photo ID document (i.e.
driver's licence) of holder; or
- Naturalisation papers/certificate and ID card.

Erin24

Jan 9, 2006
hi

I went to punta cana in december, and we met a girl who said she just had her birth certificate, i was suprised she did not have a passport to go there.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Erin24 said:
I went to punta cana in december, and we met a girl who said she just had her birth certificate, i was suprised she did not have a passport to go there.
Was she from the US or Canada? There may be different requirements.

Erin24

Jan 9, 2006
re

She is from Canada. I just thought no matter where your travel, especially on a plane you would need a passport these days.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
You may travel from Canada with a birth certificate/citiezenship card/drivers licence, but when travelling abroad, it is always a better option to have a passport in the event of an emergency/your flight being redirected elsewhere or having to land elsewhere.

CommTHOR

Nov 7, 2005
I went down in October using my Canadian Birth certificate and Ontario Drivers Licence. No issues. I was a bit concerned before I left, but a call to the Tourist office at the Dominican consulate in Ottawa eased my mind.

That being said, although you CAN travel there without one, a passport is still the smarter choice. I'm making sure to get one before my next trip to DR in April.

El_cubano

Dec 1, 2005
I can't speak for other countries but from USA YOU DON'T NEED A PASSPORT TO ENTER DR. I go there 2-3 times a month and my passport was getting full of stamps so long time ago i decided to left the passport back at home.

There has never been any problems.