Coming to vacation in DR for the 1st time

lulu95726

Jan 7, 2006
I am trying to decide between La Romana and Samana
Any thoughts?? I'll be there for 3 weeks and am looking for a
lot of R&R and the most beautiful beaches.
All responses are appreciated.

RP23

Jul 15, 2005
WoW I wish I was in your shoes. :)

If I had pick between La Romana or Samana. I would go to Samana. The beaches are beautiful and the place is UNFORGETABLE. Durning your stay in Samana you should also go and visit La Romana. Why can't you do both? you have the time. Have fun!!! post pictures when you come back.

lulu95726

Jan 7, 2006
wow - I guess we could do both - are the beaches in Samana white sand and turquoise ?? that's what i'm really looking for.
thanks!!!

RP23

Jul 15, 2005
White!

The beaches in Samana are white. You can see everything. You are going to have fun. Go to both and you can get a little more of DR. ;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Samana peninsula beaches are way better than La Romana, although the town of La Samana, can be avoided.
Las Galeras, El Portillo, Las Galeras get my vote.

lulu95726

Jan 7, 2006
is La Romana a more crowded area than Samana ?
Will I need a rental car to explore around Samana ??

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Need more info..........

I tend to say the Samana peninsula (specifically Las Galeras). BUT. It depends on a few things:

1. Male? Female? Mixed group?
2. Age?
3. Previous foreign travel experience?
4. Speak Spanish? How well? Speak German or French?
5. Previous familiarity with Latino cultures?
6. How flexible are you and can you go with the flow?
7. Can you forgo the rental car and ride around in the back of pickup trucks like the locals do?
8. Do you want to unwind/introvert or adventure/extrovert?
9. What is your budget like?
10. What do you expect from your hotel?
11. How do you feel about All Inclusive hotels (AIs)?

Okay, waiting to know more..........

lulu95726

Jan 7, 2006
samanasuenos thank you SO much for responding.
answers:
1. Myself & boyfriend -
2. mid 40's
3. Lot's of time in southern Yucatan Peninsula Mexico & recently Belize
4. Little spanish - basics
5. Love the culture
6. Very flexible - want to get to know the people
7. Yes. That would be preferable
8. Both - unwind but always looking for adventures
9. Trying to keep it somewhat under control
10. Don't really care about the hotel as long as it's clean. Mostly
looking for incredible beaches & meeting and enjoying the local people.
11. I have actually been looking at the Viva Wyndham Samana (it seems pretty reasonable) but very flexible. Have stayed in AI's before - would probably prefer something more low-key -- also looking forward to checking out local restaurants.

Any input is greatly appreciated !!!

Last edited:

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Samana / Las Galeras

Okay, you sound like a good one to take on Samana, well - really Las Galeras. I would stay in Las Galeras - probably at Club Bonito Hotel, www.club-bonito.com. http://www.club-bonito.com

You'll be closer to where the locals are.

I, on the other hand, prefer TODO BLANCO (right next door). They have no pool, their showers/water is salty, and there is no restaurant, nor bar. To make up for all of this, they have beautiful large rooms with double doors that open to terraces overlooking green gardens leading to ... the white beaches.

And you can always visit next door. If you buy a drink or lunch, you can hang at the pool all day. But you'll be up and out and over at Playa Rincon, not slacking with other tourists.

Write to todoblanco@hotmail.com. (BTW - The owner is a charming Italian lady).

Now that you have picked your lodging - either at an AI or at one of the two beachfront places that I just described, you can manage the gua-guas (pronounced - WA-WAz) that take you back and forth to Samana, during daylight hours. Keep extra cash available for a late-night cab ride home, which will run $USD 20 to 30, depending on supply and demand and how late and how drunk you are. Do not expect to pay less. And no use in arguing about it.

Good daytrips will be:
Playa Rincon via taxi or boat
Whale Watching with VICTORIA MARINE/Kim Bedall
Caya Levantado (I say skip it!)
Salta de Limon Waterfall, on horseback arranged at Antonia's on the right hand side of the road from Samana to Las Terrenas (Victoria Marine can set it up for you.)
Visit CEBSE center
Parque Haitises (again with Victoria Marine)
Las Terrenas for some good French food

There are goodish restaurants in Las Galeras, and an internet cafe.

But if you venture into Saman -

Decent restaurants in Samana city:
La Hacienda
Bambu

Las Olas internet cafe in Samana is a cool place to eat, drink, chat and meet people. Buy some souvenirs there as well. And Ellen is a good resource.

I am waiting to read your trip report!!

lulu95726

Jan 7, 2006
Thanks for all that GREAT info. I'm printing as I type.
The Club-Bonito looks really nice - but I can stay at the Viva Wyndham Samana for less (with food & drinks). Do you know how far away Las Galares is from that hotel? Have you heard anything about it ??
Where do you live? I'm in California. :)))