American jfk/pop discontinued?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
As of May 1 it looks like American 1797 and 1798 jfk/pop are discontinued. That leaves Continental as the only direct carrier from the NY area. Is that a permanent change? Those flights were almost always full. - D

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
My guess is the change is a seasonal schedule change. I suspect Continental will be cutting their schedule down to a few days a week as well.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
rellosk said:
My guess is the change is a seasonal schedule change. I suspect Continental will be cutting their schedule down to a few days a week as well.

Continental is flying sat, sun, mon during the same time period. If it's not seasonal, there's no sense in my spending 350 bucks on the Admiral's club and accumulationg AA miles on my credit card.

Jun 5, 2004
So sorry to hear that AA is discontinuing their flights to POP but that will givr Continental more passagers and maybe that will add another flight to another airport in the Dominican.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Looks Like It's Gone For Good.................

This is the reply that I received from American Airlines customer service regarding direct JFK to POP flights: 3/16/2006

"We understand your concern about the discontinuation of our nonstop service between John F. Kennedy and Puerto Plata. I can assure you that this decision was not made lightly. While I know you are disappointed, I'm glad you've given us this opportunity to explain the rationale behind our decision.

We continue to monitor and evaluate the success of all our routes as we seek to serve our customers well and remain competitive. Our strategy is simple, we strengthen our presence in areas where we are profitable and withdraw from those cities where we cannot earn a reasonable return. Such was the situation with our service in this market. Unfortunately, our nonstop flights to Puerto Plata haven't been profitable for some time and we could no longer sustain the losses. As a result, the difficult decision was made to conclude our nonstop service on this route. Connecting service will still be available through San Juan and Miami.

Please know that we sincerely regret the negative impact this decision has had on our loyal customers who frequented this market. Again, the decision was not an easy one but we could not continue to accept negative profitability results. We hope you will have other opportunities to travel with us soon."

Jun 5, 2004
Well it is true American is not going to be there for when a few people want to travel and then loose all the money the rest of the year. I believe that they should continue with seasonal service and that should be OK.