To the owners of PD Golf Course

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
GET YOU $HIT TOGETHER!!! How do you justify $75US to play a course with diseased greens and poor drainage?? Where is the 2 million dollar upgrade?? A wall that seperates the parking lot from the caddie shack, new bar and counter stools and paint job looks to me to be about 10 grand max. That sign in the pro shop proclaiming to be in the "top 10"- did you steal it from Playa Grande??
Do the right thing- lower the green fees-NOW! $40 to $50 max. would make more sense than screwing everyone who plays. Not very busy is it? Talked with a few of your customers and they are all playing less rounds than planned. Would have asked more players but their weren't many around and was told things are sloowww. Wouldn't it be better to get 150+ players a day at $40 than 50 @ $75? Do the math, volume is good, especially when the only addition to the course I noticed was 3 new push mowers.
I will return the end of Feb. with 6 other people, we plan on playing just about every day for the week. If you insist on keeping the green fees this high, we will take the 80 peso bus ride to Santiago and play there as it's only an hour away. Plus our annual trek to PLaya Grande, a course that is worth the $120 fee with cart.
It is a shame that after 16yrs of playing this course that I may (re:WILL) change my semi annual trip destination. Not to another island mind you, just away from being ripped off by your company. Everyone at the course knows me, and they know I'm not a cheap person. They also know I am a man of integrity. PLEASE- for everyone's benefit (most importantly your workers and your investment) lower the green fees immediately. Ball's in your court.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Jeez, Randy! You said you were really gonna tell it like it is, man......And you shore did it!!
It is a shame that golf in POP, which started on the front yard of the Hotel Montemar before Playa Dorada was even built, has gone downhill to the extreme that forces a perennial visitor, who comes here for the golf and the friends he has made over the past decade and a half, has to post something like this.
Thanks Randy for the very concise picture of Playa Dorada.

Re: The ranking--I think you left out one of the zeros on the sign? No matter it is not, nor has it ever been, merited. Top 100, HARUMPF :p:p

Now I'm off to fix a club or two!! :D:D:D:D:D

HB

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Sad. How many years have we known each other? You of all people know I won't randomly trash something. The people who this hurts the most are the Caddies and mesera's/mersero's in the clubhouse- the one's who most need the tips that come from vacationers. No volume- no tips. Oh well, gonna start my trip report on Santiago, that'll cheer me up!

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
Playa Dorado - Closing

Didn't they tell you that the course is to be closed for three month beginning in May for a major renovation?
Golf Digest Editor has still not replied to me re #53 outside the US ranking.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Renovation of the course would be a good idea drtampa, but the MAJOR renovation required at Playa Dorada is with the management. I live just 5 minutes from Playa Dorada course & prefer to play at Santiago. WHY??? Because I know I am not being ripped off down there. I have FedoGolf membership which gives me 50% off PD's normal rates - it is STILL cheaper for me to DRIVE to Santiago, have a bucket of practice balls, play 18, share a caddy & cart (with decent company), & then drive back, than it is to play at PD!!

Further - at Santiago membership fee is a constant figure. It does not put rates up for "Ex-Pats" & insist payment of such in US $'ss. I liked Playa Dortada for convenience but will NOT be playing there until some semblance of decency & fair play returns to the management structure! The Rules of Golf emphasise the game should be played with honesty & integrity - I suggest the present management take this to heart & institute such a policy at Playa Dorada!! ~ GWB.

Last edited:

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
drtampa said:
Didn't they tell you that the course is to be closed for three month beginning in May for a major renovation?
Golf Digest Editor has still not replied to me re #53 outside the US ranking.
OK great, still doesn't justify why the guy from Miami I spoke with had to pay $115 for a round w/cart last week!! In it's PRESENTCONDITION $60 seems more than fair.

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Would the person who PM'd me in regards to this thread please send me another one and identify who they are? If connected to the course in some way, I would like to discuss this with you. Am aware of what you sent but feel it doesn't fully address the problem. Person was definately from DR.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
I just think for them to charge that kind of money, it should be in pristine condition or at least.... have the decency to notify of conditions whether good or bad. Let's face it that's a lot of money to anyone. If the courses is in transition notify the public when they call and drop the price due to maintenance. I live 10 minutes from copperhead, the number fourth-ranked course in Florida that sponsors the PGA Chrysler championship.And when they perform maintenance for any reason they shut the course down so no golfer, being a member or a guest has a bad experience.

Example... right now you can book double occupancy in this beautiful resort, including breakfast and a round of golf for $240.

People do not want to get cheated or lied to ...no matter how much money they have. And I believe it's going to come back to haunt them 10 times over.

In any business to be successful.... good product, being honest, good service.;)

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
easygoin said:
I just think for them to charge that kind of money, it should be in pristine condition or at least.... have the decency to notify of conditions whether good or bad.

In any business to be successful.... good product, being honest, good service.;)
I completely agree with you. I own a business, and when offering goods to my clients the discussion of PRICE POINTS always comes to the forefront. Do you want "X" for $120 because it is unquestionably the best or "Z" for $40 which is not of same quality (offshore). Notice I left out "Y" ( middle price point) as there is no other choice in this case. Actually there is: Santiago GC about 1 hr away, less distance than Playa Grande. In better shape than PD and with a price point of under $30 w/cart. So the middle price point in this case @ $115 renders itself unsaleable.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Overall picture

RandyE said:
I completely agree with you. I own a business, and when offering goods to my clients the discussion of PRICE POINTS always comes to the forefront. Do you want "X" for $120 because it is unquestionably the best or "Z" for $40 which is not of same quality (offshore). Notice I left out "Y" ( middle price point) as there is no other choice in this case. Actually there is: Santiago GC about 1 hr away, less distance than Playa Grande. In better shape than PD and with a price point of under $30 w/cart. So the middle price point in this case @ $115 renders itself unsaleable.

I will agree with you 100% Santiago is a great bang for the buck. I played there with HB and BB and I really like the course. That course you get what you pay for and much more.

When you talk about the price of PD and not in shape, but hood winking customers and expecting them to come back.......you have mismanagement and a clear head.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Learning something new everyday until you die

Some old CHAP'S can hit it a TON.;)

So old goats just find their way.;)

But having composure is not in neither's play.;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
easygoin said:
Or have a captive audience. Aren't most of the rounds played in PD played by tourists and not locals?

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
rellosk said:
Or have a captive audience. Aren't most of the rounds played in PD played by tourists and not locals?

Well, considering I've never played their.... but have heard on this board it being overpriced under maintenance. They must have a great marketing tool to bring people aboard.But it will catch up to them in the long run. And I myself hope it does happen to that establishment.... only because of taking advantage of tourists or yearly members.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
With Fedogolf card high season cost is $29. This is a fair price for the terrible condition of the course. Carts on cart paths only means walk, pay the $13 caddy fee, and give the caddy a nice tip.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
PD will also get some competition a little closer to home as the course at Sea Horse is scheduled to start soon...Looks like it should be a nice one from the plans...tom

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
drtampa said:
With Fedogolf card high season cost is $29. This is a fair price for the terrible condition of the course. Carts on cart paths only means walk, pay the $13 caddy fee, and give the caddy a nice tip.
There's another problem. as of this year Fedogolf only accepts people with a residence in DR. sure there are ways to circumvent this, but why if someone's been a member of this for a few years you get the "we don't want you anymore" treatment? If they have enough, wouldn't you think all present out of country members would be "grandfathered" in?? Think about that.
Ed- yes it's a somewhat captive audience but the problem is the audience isn't buying! You get to the course, pay a lot of money and at the end of the round think "screw this"!!! Instead of playing most every day of the week, the place isn't getting the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round, they stay inside the resort.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
RandyE said:
Ed- yes it's a somewhat captive audience but the problem is the audience isn't buying! You get to the course, pay a lot of money and at the end of the round think "screw this"!!! Instead of playing most every day of the week, the place isn't getting the 2nd, 3rd and 4th round, they stay inside the resort.
Good point.

MOC1

Oct 22, 2002
I haven't heard this?

RandyE said:
There's another problem. as of this year Fedogolf only accepts people with a residence in DR. sure there are ways to circumvent this, but why if someone's been a member of this for a few years you get the "we don't want you anymore" treatment? If they have enough, wouldn't you think all present out of country members would be "grandfathered" in?? Think about that.

Is this true about the residency? I know of at least one person that has got their 2006 card and they did not mention the residency issue. Can you advise where you got your info.
Thanks

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
MOC1 said:
Is this true about the residency? I know of at least one person that has got their 2006 card and they did not mention the residency issue. Can you advise where you got your info.
Thanks
I know when I inquired (I'M Canadian) I was informed that this year I could not get the card without my cedula. I'M sure there has to be ways around it. tom

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
twhitehead said:
I know when I inquired (I'M Canadian) I was informed that this year I could not get the card without my cedula. I'M sure there has to be ways around it. tom
Anyone want to buy part-shares in my house in the centre of Puerto Plata??? :cheeky: ~ GWB!