Dominican Justice

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
I just read El Caribe's article on the Renove case. All involved in the RD$1.800MM scheme were discharged. Free to walk among us.
I can't say I'm surprised but I am dissappointed in the government's lack of cojones to prosecute and punish known thieves.
There are some questions this outcome raises:
What are the capabilities of the prosecutors, did they in fact have a good, tight case against these criminals?

Who where the judges appointed by and do they have some debt of loyalty to any particular group?

If I where the president, heads would have rolled in the DA's office. Dont they realize this outcome is embarrasing to them?
Then again, I heard this administration is going to buy more busses for the public transport system. I think they should name the Plan Renove guys in charge of this acquisition, I mean, its been proven that they are all honest, did a hell of a job in purchasing and didn't steal a dime!!

Jan 5, 2006
From reading news accounts, my understanding is that most involved were affiliated with the PRD, and that the judges who discharged their case yesterday were also PRD appointees, and were obviously under a lot of pressure from the party to find a way to sweep this under the rug. Much like it happened with the "invernaderos" and the ministry of agriculture case, the current administration seemed to have a good case with plenty of material evidence, yet everyone walked due to obvious bias from the judges.

This is just another example of why corruption in DR will never go away, as long as one of the major parties is in office.

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
quid pro quo

Is there so much corruption that certain transgressions are agreed upon and condoned in advance? Immigration, customs, construction, banking, environment, etc. are all so ripe for fiddling by the interested money guys (who can finance campaigns). Then there's the CYA component: you leave my crooks alone and I'll leave yours alone next time...?

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Corruption

Corruption from the top down has been obvious in all past regimes here. This latest blatant example does not come as a surprise. Canadian Bob.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Corruption has been rampant in all of Dominican Republic regimes, so this latest blatant whopper should not come as a surprise. Canadian Bob.

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
I just read El Caribe's article on the Renove case. All involved in the RD$1.800MM scheme were discharged. Free to walk among us.
I can't say I'm surprised but I am dissappointed in the government's lack of cojones to prosecute and punish known thieves.
There are some questions this outcome raises:
What are the capabilities of the prosecutors, did they in fact have a good, tight case against these criminals?

Who where the judges appointed by and do they have some debt of loyalty to any particular group?

If I where the president, heads would have rolled in the DA's office. Dont they realize this outcome is embarrasing to them?
Then again, I heard this administration is going to buy more busses for the public transport system. I think they should name the Plan Renove guys in charge of this acquisition, I mean, its been proven that they are all honest, did a hell of a job in purchasing and didn't steal a dime!!

Thanks Samian for the info. but I'm sorry to say that after living in the US, and hearing how hard justice can be, even to the president; all of the above makes me sick!!!

Don't get me wrong now!! I still love my country, but I hate the justice system there!!

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Perlanegra:
re.: Justice System in our country
You mean the lack there of? Cause, as long as you steal millions, you can get away with anything .

BTW, after the outcome of this case, shouldnt Sam Goodson be released or charges against him dropped in Florida.

Worst part of all is that no one seems to be the least upset about it. Perhaps we do live in a country of crooks, thieves and hipocrites. In 2008 I am voting for Hipolito!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
It ain't over till it's over. Maybe of people make enough fuss, the decision will get overturned. Per today's DR1 news:

RENOVE decision questioned
The decision by the Court of Appeal to free the accused in the RENOVE corruption case has generated widespread reaction in most of today's press. El Caribe says that the release of the ten members of the former government has unleashed a series of criticisms, especially after the group had been found guilty of swindling US$60 million during the RENOVE program. The RENOVE plan was an attempt by the Mejia administration to renew the vehicles used in public transportation, many of which had fallen into total disrepair. On Monday, the Appeals Division of the Court of the National District, alleging that there was insufficient proof, discharged all of the accused. Immediately, Octavio Lister, the head of the government's Department for the Prevention of Corruption (DEPRECO), said he would seek an annulment decree against the sentence that freed the accused. The Attorney General told reporters that "it is a sorry state that some political sectors continue influencing the decisions that the courts take, and even worse, that some judges allow themselves to take decisions based on these influences." He expressed his hope that the Supreme Court would reverse the decision. President Fernandez refused to express an opinion when questioned by journalists. The chief justice of the Supreme Court, Jorge Subero Isa told reporters, without referring directly to the decision of the Appeals Court, that "unfortunately, some situations develop in our courts that produce some sentences, which cause panic and shame."
In his A.M. column in Diario Libre, lawyer, historian and writer Adriano Miguel Tejada says that the decision by the court that understandably, has aroused the indignation of large sectors of the population. These sectors had already condemned the politicians and union leaders in the court of public opinion. Tejada says that the court of public opinion only has one degree of jurisdiction and its decisions are definitive. Even more, this court sees the accused's attempts at a defense with great suspicion, because their decision is not subject to appeal. The suspicion remains, that the judges acted so easily due to bribery or political sympathies. Diario Libre's editor says that all this is possible within a judicial system that the political parties share out like Jesus' cloak after the crucifixion. Tejada says that nobody admits that there are ignorant or stupid judges, but the lawyers know better. There is also a public suspicion that there are special courts, similar to the infamous Star Chamber courts of James I, because it is impossible that one specific court should emit so many questionable decisions, and that the Supreme Court, that is responsible for policing the Judicial Power, does not take action.What is terrifying, even more than a government of judges, "is the conviction that politics has become totally autonomous, and has a legislature that approves its goodies, its judges to guarantee the impunity and the money sufficient to live like kings without depending on anybody, and buy whoever is needed."

Jan 5, 2006
Don't hold your breath that anything will change in this case. Those guys stole enough money to buy whatever new judges are assigned to the next appeal. :(

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Yesterday's DR1 news about a judge who was videotaped taking a bribe to make a forgery charge "go away" makes me sick. While these criminally bad judges may be in the minority, one bad judge is still too many. Canadian Bob.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
canadian bob said:
Yesterday's DR1 news about a judge who was videotaped taking a bribe to make a forgery charge "go away" makes me sick. While these criminally bad judges may be in the minority, one bad judge is still too many. Canadian Bob.
There are always going to be a few corrupt judges in any system, including the US, and presumably Canada. The problem in the DR seems to be that most of the judges are corrupt.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I can tell you that the local judicial system on the north coast is a joke, there is a network of corrupt judges and lawyers who decide most cases between themselves (before the trial starts) and split up the money afterwards. I would say that every lawyer practicing here has at least at some point paid off a judge during his tenure here. Most lawyers pay off judges on a regular basis.

Last edited:

DominiRican

Apr 7, 2004
Yes, it should be more like American justice! In the US you would never see anything like this, it's not like we would let a murderer go free after he's seen fleeing the scene of a crime on video, find blood from the victim in his vehicle and ... oh wait. :p

Why say "Dominican Justice"? Like it's unique to the DR? really now...

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
The other day a DR1 member emailed me privately and asked me if I could help him settle a case directly with a local judge. He obviously had the wrong person for the job. I wonder who suggested me...

-

djonesromero

Apr 1, 2006
the alleged corruption in Dominican society is peanuts in comparison to the political corruption in "1st world democracies". While i don't condone such acts,i'm certainly hopeful that DR corruption never reaches the levels of our developed nations. I"m one who believes that Dominicans are on their way to becoming a great society! Lets help them.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I'll take justice in the Courts of the United States over justice in the Courts of the Dominican Republic, ANY DAY. Sadly, unless the people of the Dominican Republic demand accountability from thier public officials, it is unlikely they will get it.