On a finca how large of an area is a tarea?

ny2drASAP

Feb 22, 2006
My wife and I are interested in moving our family down to the DR for a paradigm shift from New York City. I have been searching for farm properties in the interior via the internet. How large is a tarea?

oops sorry, I see in the thread next to mine the answer to my question. Its late at night and my attention isnt so sharp...

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I know you said you found it but I thought I would post this anyway. Welcome to DR1

tarea
a traditional unit of land area in the Dominican Republic and some parts of Central America. The tarea is generally equal to 900 square varas, so it is the area of a square 30 varas (about 25.05 meters) on a side. In the Dominican Republic, the tarea equals about 628 square meters or 751 square yards; this is 0.0628 hectare or 0.155 acre. The Spanish word tarea means a task or job, so this unit, like many land area units, originated as the area which could be "worked" in a given time.

If you would like a cute little measurement converter you will find it here;

http://www.electronicconversions.com/AreaAll.aspx

Rick

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
ny2dr and the rest here, do you think you will get the best deal for such land on the internet? I would suspect that you will be grossly overcharged. Perhaps some of the more experienced members here could render an opinion. All the stuff I see on the internet is automatically being produced to reach a certain high priced market,whereas there is plenty -- plenty! -- of good land in the countryside available for less. I always let my wife do all the initial talking, as she is Dominican and could charm a buck out of a dead miser, and then when the time is propitious I enter the stage. If you are a Dominicano ausente you wont have any better luck than I have. Best to let the locals handle things.