sex in the dr etc.

JoeJoe

Mar 6, 2006
Ok .. I'm not nessarily thinking about having sex with the guy I am talking to but I am going to live in the DR for 4-5 months while going to school there and if something does happen in the end.. I want to be responsible and safe about it.. Is there somewhere that a man or woman can get tested for HIV and other std's in the Santo Domingo area? So if the time came that we were even on level to think about those kind of things, I could be safe about it.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Clinics all over the city. I'm actually surprised how many, I must have 3-4 with 5 mins walk of my place alone.

JoeJoe

Mar 6, 2006
so.. if i were to ask him to get tested.. would he take offense to that do you think.. or no.. I'm not sure how a man would.. respond to that..

drbill

Dec 3, 2005
pre- or post- ?

Yes, if something does "happen in the end", you can go to LA CLINICA or to a similar place called LA HOSPITAL. These are places where people go for medical attention in this country; they offer things like doctors and laboratory tests and they are quite popular. Just ask any taxi driver for a convenient location.

I'm pretty old and a little cynical, but for what it's worth to you, my advice is to assume the absolute worst and behave accordingly. Did you know that some latex products (available in the FARMACIA) actually glow in the dark?:bored: :paranoid: :cheeky:

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Aids is very high in the DR. Any sex with a Dominican , male or female, must be taken very seriously. Always use protection. Many resorts test their workers at regular intervals because of their involvement with tourists. One fellow who worked at the RIU hotels that I know has full blown aids. A shame because he was a great guy. This goes for many Dominicans who do not work in resorts too.

JoeJoe

Mar 6, 2006
I would use a condom no matter what the circumstances.. just .. i would want to know.. just like I would want to know if I was with a man in canada too..

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Tests have to be repeated after 3 months to make sure that the virus is not present. Therefore, for 3 months safe sex is mandatory even in Canada. Do not take chances. Dominican men are always saying that they want to make babies with the tourists. That means they have unprotected sex.

JoeJoe

Mar 6, 2006
LOL well I certainly do NOT want babies at this moment in time.. I don't care how smoothe the guy is with his lines.. no babies for me!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Charlielyn said:
...Dominican men are always saying that they want to make babies with the tourists. That means they have unprotected sex.
I think you can remove the words "with the tourists" from the above.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Charlielyn said:
Aids is very high in the DR. Any sex with a Dominican , male or female, must be taken very seriously. Always use protection. Many resorts test their workers at regular intervals because of their involvement with tourists. One fellow who worked at the RIU hotels that I know has full blown aids. A shame because he was a great guy. This goes for many Dominicans who do not work in resorts too.

Actually, Charlielyn, I am not sure that is the real reason that resort workers are tested. I am a Canadian and when I was hired at POP Village, I had to undergo an Aids test, pregnancy test etc. It was explained to me at the time that they would not hire someone with an illness or is pregnant because when that person had to take sick leave the employers would have to cover the expenses. Of course, I was hired as I did not have any illnesses.

I never had to take another test after that, not 3 months, 6 months or even after a year, nor did any of my co-workers (Dominican as well). The requirements might have changed since I am talking a few years ago now, but that is how it was explained to me.

It would be interesting to know, if in fact nowadays, the workers have to be tested on a regular basis and a resort worker tested positive, how the resort would handle that. Also, all the blood work that I had done was at my own expense, do the Dominican resort workers have to pay themselves, when the hotel is demanding these tests?

Marlie

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Marlie is right about doing those tests when you are first hired because they don't want a new employee already sick or pregnant.

We had this discussion before and yes some resorts do on going testing but it's for things like TB and disease that can be passed through the food handlers.

Most workers don't even know what they are being tested for and as one Hotel manager posted here.

If anyone has ever seen a report where the letters HIV test results are shown other than the hiring stage please post it here.

I'm really interested to hear what tests are given at the same hotel every three months. We've never had a clear answer to that question, only what hotel workers have said to the guests.

Also very important to keep in mind is the fact that the HIV virus doesn't show up in a test for three months/twelve weeks. So if you catch the HIV virus a week after the test you could be spreading it to others till your next test.

So let's say a sankie is sleeping with how many people in those three months?

The point is always use protection when having fun. Don't let your guard down because you've heard about this three month testing.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
It's not just the dominican resort workers. You'd be surprised at the number of turistas who once they get drunk enough don't even ask about condoms. Others do but when there is no repsonse they keep going as if nothing happened.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
I agree with Joe Joe. The best way to prevent an STD is to use a condom. Better safe than sorry.

JoeJoe

Mar 6, 2006
So do you think a man would take offense to me askin him to take a std/HIV test.. ? .. I know some people are touchy on the subject.. and I don't know a Dominican man would react to that topic..

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Let me tell you something!!

JoeJoe said:
So do you think a man would take offense to me askin him to take a std/HIV test.. ? .. I know some people are touchy on the subject.. and I don't know a Dominican man would react to that topic..
Any man, from the Dominican Republic, from Africa or from Mars, that gives you any type of "attitude" or take offense when asked to take an STD/HIV test, is a man that you DO NOT want to get involved with.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY will take better care of yourself than yourself. We all know that there are morons out there that even if they know that they are sick, they still do not tell their partners only to have them get sick in the long run.

One can NEVER be carefull enough.

The last time I checked, I was a man and let tell you that not only would I expect a STD test from whomever I will court, I will NEVER, ever get mad if she asks me to do it. Why get mad if I have nothing to hide?.

I am telling all you girls and guys out there:

IF YOUR DOMINICAN PARTNER DO NOT WANT TO GET AN STD/HIV TEST, SEND HIM/HER PACKING AND DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT LOOK BACK!!!!!. Trust me, there's always someone out there that WILL NOT have a problem when asked. Plain and simple!!!!!.

Btw, if he/she do not want to have one done, there's nothing wrong with you saying: "you want some of this?, well, you will only get some of this AFTER you show me proof that you had the tests done". Or "if you really want to be with me, go have those tests done, if not, goodbye and don't come back".

Remember: If you are a little pendejo/a, you will not get him/her to do it BUT:

If you demand for her/him to do it, it will be done unless the person has something to hide or have no respect for you. If your demand are not met, just say goodbye and stick to your "guns". Simple!!.

Btw, if I were a female and I was going to be crazy enough to be with a Dominican man, and since I know how "RAPONES" MOST (NOTE: MOST) are, every 3 months is NOT enough, I would have him tested EVERY SINGLE WEEK!!!!!.

Last edited:

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
I agree with Miguel--GET TESTED WITH YOUR PARTNER!!!

An AIDS/STD test is very quick and simple. And it takes only 1 to 2 days for the results to come out. Better safe than sorry.