Car Rentals

DoraRocks316

Sep 12, 2005
Hello ..

I have question regarding car rentals down in DR (Puerto Plata) area.. I have a friend of mine that is down in the DR as we speak and she rented a car for a couple of days. She phoned me and told me that she got into a car accident and that she had to pay $1000. I told her how could that be didn't you have insurance with the car rental. The thing is I think her bf was driving the car, but still... When you rent any kind of car down there don't you get insurance automatically when you rent or not...

Please if anyone can help me out so when I go there I will know what to expect.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
DoraRocks316 said:
... When you rent any kind of car down there don't you get insurance automatically when you rent or not...
Not. Insurance is generally not included in the rental price (regardless if you rent in the DR, US, Canada, etc).

Sometimes, the credit card company will offer some type of insurance when you rent with their card, but generally it doesn't include all the bells and whistles.

There are many thread on DR1 dealing with the perils of renting a car in the DR. There is also this article.

DoraRocks316

Sep 12, 2005
Jail time

So be it.. being said so what if you don't pay it can you be put in jail for not paying for the damages in the DR.