Rules for playing domino

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Hi,

I bought a box of dominoes (with the dominican flag on the back) and I've tried teaching my partner how to play, but I forgot the rules lol. Can anyone help? The only thing I remember with no probs is when "capic?a" happens.

The last time I played dominoes was in 1997 so be nice and easy with me :p

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
mariel said:
Hi,

I bought a box of dominoes (with the dominican flag on the back) and I've tried teaching my partner how to play, but I forgot the rules lol. Can anyone help? The only thing I remember with no probs is when "capic?a" happens.

The last time I played dominoes was in 1997 so be nice and easy with me :p

I love to play dominoes, why don't you invite me over, and I'll teach you...

Did you know that the game of dominoes was invented by deaf mute monks, and that's the reason it is such a silent game ;-)

-

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
you're welcome to come to my home in sweden, where i am right now ;)

in DR it's all but silent, as i recall it. the harder you place the "bricks" the better...at least in my crowd hehe.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
mariel said:
you're welcome to come to my home in sweden, where i am right now ;)

in DR it's all but silent, as i recall it. the harder you place the "bricks" the better...at least in my crowd hehe.

Mariel, dominoes are played so many different ways, and rules vary from region to region, even country to country. You can even make up your own rules....

Here's an interesting link...

http://www.domino-games.com/domino-clubs.html

-

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Mirador said:
Mariel, dominoes are played so many different ways, and rules vary from region to region, even country to country. You can even make up your own rules....

Here's an interesting link...

http://www.domino-games.com/domino-clubs.html

of that i'm aware of, which is why i wanted someone living in DR to give me tips on how to play dominoes ? la dominican :) but i'll check the link you gave me.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am sure MIRADOR can correct me on this: Basically, what you do is (a)follow your partner's lead
(b)put down your doubles
(c)"kill" your opponents 'head' ...

The when and the where of this is the key to playing good dominos.

Good Luck..

HB :D:D

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Mariel, I suggest you forget about playing dominoes "? la dominican". Domino playing "? la dominican" is not acceptable according to the International Domino Federation (FIDO, according to it's French acronym) standards. Dominoes "? la dominican" is less a game of skill than a contest of shrewdness. Dominicans always have their permanent "frente", their inseparable winning playing partner, in order to establish a code system based on body language, and other imperceptible cues. For this same purpose, Dominican domino players make a lot of noise, talk loudly, making preposterous comments during the game, all to conceal the fact that they are communicating their dominoes and move preferences to their partner. Also, Dominicans have established complicated game rules, such as having extra points for certain situations ('capic?a', 'caja de muerto'...), and by not rotating the lead, the shrewdest monopolizes the lead, skewing even more the game....

-

Geert

Jan 28, 2005
Dominican domino rules

I am not a domino player but have frequently observed it being played by Dominicans.
It appears that it is essential for the game to be able to shout Diablo and Co?o almost continually, and my girlfriend, a Dominicana, insists that it should be Diablo-Co?o, both in the same breath.
The person slamming the ?bones? onto the table with the greatest force, while shouting Diablo-Co?o wins.

Hope this helps,

Geert

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Mirador said:
Mariel, I suggest you forget about playing dominoes "? la dominican". Domino playing "? la dominican" is not acceptable according to the International Domino Federation (FIDO, according to it's French acronym) standards. Dominoes "? la dominican" is less a game of skill than a contest of shrewdness. Dominicans always have their permanent "frente", their inseparable winning playing partner, in order to establish a code system based on body language, and other imperceptible cues. For this same purpose, Dominican domino players make a lot of noise, talk loudly, making preposterous comments during the game, all to conceal the fact that they are communicating their dominoes and move preferences to their partner. Also, Dominicans have established complicated game rules, such as having extra points for certain situations ('capic?a', 'caja de muerto'...), and by not rotating the lead, the shrewdest monopolizes the lead, skewing even more the game....

-

Based on your definition of Dominican domino is kind of similar to American politic. jajajajajajaajajaj

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Do monks die?

Mirador said:
Did you know that the game of dominoes was invented by deaf mute monks, and that's the reason it is such a silent game ;-)-
If they do, they must roll over in their graves at the sight of how Dominicans play.

I loved playing, but I enjoyed watching the typical bone smashing antics of the locals. Too funny!

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Playing in the campo with my friends family and once I started to catch on a bit ( not a hard game but they are slick ) it was a great way to become part of the group so to speak. What I am amazed at is how with four dominos left how they seem to know exactly which ones haven't been played-scarry.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
jrf said:
Playing in the campo with my friends family and once I started to catch on a bit ( not a hard game but they are slick ) it was a great way to become part of the group so to speak. What I am amazed at is how with four dominos left how they seem to know exactly which ones haven't been played-scarry.

Maybe you can look at the table while playing?;)

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
After years of playing dominos with locals in the Caribbean, the main thing I've learned is how to gracefully lose!

El_cubano

Dec 1, 2005
Hey what kind they use? the double six or like us cubans the double nine? We play good, the Miami Little Havana leage was on ESPN(or was it UPN?) the other day.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The Cubans in the DR bring their double nine sets. Dominicans use double-six sets.

At bridge, the really good players know what is in the opposition's hand after one or two tricks. There re 52 cards and only 28 dominos:p.

FIDO tournaments are played with a four-way divider separating the players, nothing is smashed on the felt tables, and no talking is allowed. Players indicate their play.

Bridge is done the same way, no spoken words, and players use cards to indicate their bids..(at international competitions, that is)

There are very few bridge players in the DR. Why?

HB :D:D

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Thanks everyone for your answers. How do I do to count the points then? The winning team "takes" the points of the losing theam and vice versa?

(Sorry for the delay.)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Geert said:
I am not a domino player but have frequently observed it being played by Dominicans.
It appears that it is essential for the game to be able to shout Diablo and Co?o almost continually, and my girlfriend, a Dominicana, insists that it should be Diablo-Co?o, both in the same breath.
The person slamming the ?bones? onto the table with the greatest force, while shouting Diablo-Co?o wins.

Hope this helps,

Geert

THIS IS THE BEST DESCRIPTION OF DOMINICAN DOMINO PLAYING I'VE EVER READ!!! IT'S OOOOHHHH SOOOOO TRUE!!!

I played once (first time!) with my fianc? and his friends...husband and wife team...AND WE BEAT THEM!!! Beginners luck I guess... 'cause neither one of us knew what we were doing...so the fact that we won, was even more upsetting to the guy...;)

My gosh...the screaming, the bad words...the beer drinking...(except me:ermm:)...TOO MUCH FUN!!!

Next month I am invited to play in the Amigos Together for Kids Celebrity Tournament here in Miami...but I know for sure it's not gonna be so much fun...everyone attends in gowns and tuxedos to start with...so I guess the cursing is totally out of the question! :tired: :bored:

MQ

El_cubano

Dec 1, 2005
NY Times is wrong when it says "while Cubans tend to and use nine pieces..." our double nine game is 55-piece dominoes vs the dominican and puerto rican one of double Six (28-piece dominoes) so each player takes 10 pieces and 15 are left on the side of the table. That makes it harder to guess the other player's pieces.