Santiago to Las Terrenas

Mar 27, 2006
Santiago to Las Terrenas directions

Hi there,
I need clear directions to get from the airport in Santiago over to Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsula. Can you help? How long a ride is it by car?

Sep 19, 2005
I dont have the map in front of me, and I know the most obvious route would take you through Moca, and onto San Fransisco de Macoris, but I suggest that you take the rte 1 route through laVega and then take a left on the nice flat straight road to San Faransisco deMacoris. i went this way and believe it is easier on the mind and actually faster, even though the milage meter may say its LONGER.
Rte 1 is the main road between Santiago and Santo Domingo....and where route one runs around LaVega, just after you pass that town there is an exit or turn to go to San Fransisco de Macoris( north). that should shave 15 minutes off the trip.
then just follow the main road from S F de Macoris to Nagua, get on route 5 and head towards Las Terranas....now I went down when I hit the pennisula and went onto Samana itself..las Terranas is on the coast and you will have to stay on the coast.....

ok after I read it, the only good tip will be the santiago to S F de Macoris tip....but when i get home, I can give you better details if no one else posts

good luck

the route through Moca and onto S F de Macoris is rough and the road sucks bad... and you will get stuck behine traffic and busses alot

bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Holy Jesus, no! Sorry Laura fan but not that road..

If you don't take up my offer to stay at the Hovel, you turn left out of the airport exit road. Be freakin' careful since you will be crossing three lanes of traffic.
Follow this road to the turn off for San Francisco de Macoris. Go to Macoris. Stay to the right at the forks. You cross the town and come to a large four lane divided avenue. Turn right. This road takes you toNagua. At Nagua you go to the right again. There are signs. This road goes to Sanchez. In Sanchez you go to the left at the fork (there are signs that say Las Terrenas and Samana) and you go up a little hill and come to the highway to Samana. Turn left. About two klicks further and there is the turn off to the left to Las Terrenas. Can't miss it. Lots of motorconchos and peopel there.

About 3 1/2 hours of driving.

HB :D:D:D

Sep 19, 2005
Hillbilly said:
Holy Jesus, no! Sorry Laura fan but not that road..

, you turn left out of the airport exit road. Be freakin' careful since you will be crossing three lanes of traffic.
Follow this road to the turn off for San Francisco de Macoris. Go to Macoris.
HB :D:D:D

so the road you are calling the exit road..is the one that goes straight away from the airport..correctomundo? then the left trun you mention is a left onto route 1 correctomundo also?

I am glad someone else thinks thats the best route....if you look at a map, you get suckered into taking the most direct route almost always!

that left turn off route 1 is onto route 19 north

3.5 hours!!!! man havent you learned out how to drive DOMINICANAN yet?

you dont want to get into a car with my amigos from La Vega...i can tell!! ha ha ha

bob