Need protection.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mossy

Apr 4, 2006
...ahh but not the kind you think - I am visiting Puerto Plato in May, was in Punta Cana last May - was once again eaten well by sand fleas/and or mosquitos. I have a severe reaction, want to prevent hits before they happen.
Does anyone know of any tried and true repellants? Something maybe those that live there may know about? Am ready to start eating loads of garlic soon, but that will really put a damper on the "heat" of our vacation....

thanks in advance to the all knowing, well travelled ones!
Shar-TO.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I am not sure what insect repellent that you used, but for us I always take the Avon Skin So Soft and Off and After Bite. The Skin So Soft usually works on it own. I also take rubbing alcohol.

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
If it's mosquitoes look for a repellant that contains DEET. Sand fleas are only found on the beach. I've never been bothered by them but I'm told baby oil keeps them away.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
tarrantino said:
I am not sure what insect repellent that you used, but for us I always take the Avon Skin So Soft and Off and After Bite. The Skin So Soft usually works on it own. I also take rubbing alcohol.

I just heard from my coworker that skin so soft by avon is very good, mosquitoes don't like me so thank God I don't have that problem.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Yes, definitely - Skin So Soft ! I live in rural Northwestern Ontario where the mosquitos are ever present, as well as black flies. I use Skin So Soft everyday in the Spring, Summer & Fall. I use the bath oil as the first layer, put it on a sponge and use it in the shower, then rinse off. It also leaves your skin smooth and supple!! LOL I always carry it in a spray bottle as well.

Another trick I have been using is bringing small citronella candles with me to the beach or wherever. You can find them in decorative buckets or just tea- light size. I light them and place them around my chair, no problems. If it is windy out, the mosquitos don't bother you anyway, so you don't have to worry about your candle going out, you won't need to light it.

I am not sure about sand fleas - we do not have a problem with them here. Apparantly, the juice of a lemon is a strong deterrent for them, but I would think then wasps and bees may become your problem. LOL

Hope that helps,
Marlie

Status
Not open for further replies.