Latin vs. non-Latin foreigners?? Who do the chicas prefer??

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
I have never been to the DR and I was wondering if Dominican girls are as open to meeting Latin foreigners as much as they are to meeting non-Latin foreigners.

I'm from Mexico and when I went to Brazil the middle class girls were very open to meeting me and very flirty even though I'm not blond nor blue-eyed and I'm only 5'8" tall and a little overweight.

I felt the fact that I was a foreigner made me interesting in their eyes but the fact that I was Mexican didn't make me too different from them in terms of culture and language.

My Portuguese is quite good and I think that if I hadn't been able to speak their language and understand their culture, I'd have had a very hard time trying to meet girls since nobody spoke English or Spanish in that part of Brazil.

So, my point is that in Brazil I felt like I was combining the two worlds, foreigner and Latino, and taking advantage of each to meet girls.

If I was tall, blonde and blue-eyed I would have received lots of stares but being unable to speak their language, think and act like Latino I would have ended up alone or dating a prostitute disguised as a decent girl.

I was wondering if Dominicans will find me too similar to them because I speak Spanish and we share a similar Spanish cultural heritage. If so, will this be an advantage or a disadvantage for me???

Here in the US, I don't receive much attention (stares, smiles, being nice, etc.) from Latin American women living here, except maybe Central Americans but hey!, most of the "nobodys" (like me) here in the US become kings when they go abroad :)

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
amigomexicano said:
most of the "nobodys" (like me) here in the US become kings when they go abroad :)

That's because they need your dinero; you won't automatically become a king in Switzerland, amigo.

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
amigomexicano said:
I have never been to the DR and I was wondering if Dominican girls are as open to meeting Latin foreigners as much as they are to meeting non-Latin foreigners.

Here in the US, I don't receive much attention (stares, smiles, being nice, etc.) from Latin American women living here, except maybe Central Americans but hey!, most of the "nobodys" (like me) here in the US become kings when they go abroad :)

Dominican women are into meeting interesting, smart, CONFIDENT men, not "nobody's".
If you possess a healthy sense of "self", that will come across and you are more likely to attract an intelligent lady.
BUT, by the way you come across, you will do JUUUUST fine attracting the pira?a chopas that prey on suckers....:eek:

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
amigomexicano said:

I'm from Mexico and when I went to Brazil the middle class girls were very open to meeting me and very flirty even though I'm not blond nor blue-eyed and I'm only 5'8" tall and a little overweight.

I felt the fact that I was a foreigner made me interesting in their eyes but the fact that I was Mexican didn't make me too different from them in terms of culture and language.

My Portuguese is quite good and I think that if I hadn't been able to speak their language and understand their culture, I'd have had a very hard time trying to meet girls since nobody spoke English or Spanish in that part of Brazil.

So, my point is that in Brazil I felt like I was combining the two worlds, foreigner and Latino, and taking advantage of each to meet girls.

If I was tall, blonde and blue-eyed I would have received lots of stares but being unable to speak their language, think and act like Latino I would have ended up alone or dating a prostitute disguised as a decent girl.

I was wondering if Dominicans will find me too similar to them because I speak Spanish and we share a similar Spanish cultural heritage. If so, will this be an advantage or a disadvantage for me???

Just go to the DR already. Find out for yourself. Every post that you write has got something to do with meeting a woman. Get out from behind the computer. You don't need advise from strangers on how to meet women. Just be yourself and you will be fine.

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
jruane44 said:
Just go to the DR already. Find out for yourself. Every post that you write has got something to do with meeting a woman. Get out from behind the computer. You don't need advise from strangers on how to meet women. Just be yourself and you will be fine.

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your comment but I'm not "behind the computer" as you seem to believe, probably based on your own experience and your 237 posts on this forum. This is my 22nd post and I think I need to spend more time behind my computer so that I can catch up with you. Regarding "advice from strangers", any intelligent person will appreciate well-intentioned advice even from a stranger. I'm the type of person who really appreciates opinions, comments, advice, tips, etc. as long as they are well-intentioned and helpful. I think many of the posters here do too. This is a forum and I wouldn't be here if I didn't need advice. If you can't provide me with advice, it's ok but I don't need someone to tell me that I shouldn't be asking for advice here and that I should go find out by myself. That's quite a rude attitude directed at someone who just asked for opinions and advice. By the way, I never asked for advice on "how to meet women". Please go back to my post and read it again. My question is a cultural question.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Here is the real deal. Its far easier for a spanish speaking man to meet quality ladies than a white bread gringo who can't speak 3 words in spanish to save his life. There are many latinos living in santiago from various countries who are well settled with decent dominican women. I personally know 4 mexicans in this area who are happily settled into this culture. There are people from Peru, ecuador, mexico, costa rica and many other latin countries. You will have the least amount of trouble meeting women here if you are decent looking (not hip hop) and respect the folks around you. Just dress like everyone else and be humorous. You will fit in just fine.
AZB

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
qgrande said:
That's because they need your dinero; you won't automatically become a king in Switzerland, amigo.

What "dinero", se?or?? Did I talk about my bank account?? I don't have "dinero" and so I don't think they are after that. In fact, I'm glad I don't have money because that way I don't attract the wrong type of women.

Now, you make it look like if Latin women were only after the money which in fact it's the other way around, it's first world women who are after the money.

Of course, the wrong type of Latina will go only after the money i.e. piranhas, jineteras, interesadas, prostitutas, etc. but "cada quien habla de la feria como le fue en ella" and in my experience first world women are much more materialistic than women in certain Latin countries.

First world women tend to value financial assets more than qualities such as honesty, manners, being responsible, etc. In other words, you can be a very good person but if you don't have money and/or looks, it'll be hard to be successful with the women you want in the first world, especially young women.

I am aware many foreigners who go to Latin America have bad experiences with women only being interested in them because of their money but again, "cada quien habla de la feria como le fue en ella" and I think these men either are too old, have no idea of how to conquer the heart of a Latina, or both.

This is what I was talking about in my post. I emphasized the importance of learning the language of the place where you go looking for decent women as well as learning how to think like the people, understanding the culture and learning everything you can about that country.

In my trips I see many foreign men both young and old who are unable to tell a prostitute from a decent girl. They either end up dating a prostitute thinking it's a decent woman or treating decent women as if they were prostitutes. Most of these men have no understanding of the culture and some of them can't even speak the language.

I think women from some Latin American countries have different values than their first world counterparts. For example, money is important but it's not something they need you to have when you start a relationship with them. In other words, many of them think that if you're a responsible, honest, hardworking person you will eventually have enough money to become a good provider for them and their children.

This may take years but they can wait. Having the qualities I just mentioned is what is important to them right now. Money will come in the future.

This is probably how things used to be in the United States a long time ago but now, American women have become extremely obsessed with money and a lot of my American friends also believe this so I don't think it's just my imagination or a personal incorrect perception of how things are.

I have seen this subject discussed in many forums too and the consensus seems to be that yes, American women have become very materialistic.

That's probably why women in the first world aren't interested in a poor Speedy Gonzalez mouse like me but guess what?? This poor mouse saves money then goes to some places in the third world, lives there very modestly without a car, traveling by public bus, dressing simple, etc. and still, many nice decent women find him interesting because they say he's "different" from the men they are used to deal with.

What's this magic difference?? It's certainly not money because the girls that are interested in me are approximately on the same economic level as me. Yes, some of them maybe poorer but others have more money than me.

I think the difference is in the VALUES. For example, Brazilian women value faithfulness more than American women. Why?? Because American women expect their men to be faithful. It's something they take for granted but Brazilians don't!!! Brazilian men tend to cheat on their girlfriends and wives and Brazilian women expect that, though they don't like it. What happens if they find a man that is faithful?? He will certainly impress them!

The same goes for values like being respectful and understanding. Many Brazilian men treat their women so bad that when Brazilian women meet a man that actually treats them with respect, they are impressed!

This also applies when trying to meet women in malls, streets, discos, etc. Most Brazilian men are so agressive in these situations that even a "Mexican macho" like me feels offended and sorry for the girls that are harassed in such a disgusting way by strangers who want to meet them and take them to bed immediately. Girls are used to this and they tolerate it but they don't actually appreciate it.

So, if this poor mouse comes along, sees a pretty girl in the mall and approaches her like a gentleman who would make his grandmother proud would, He can easily impress her!

He just needs to approach her the way most Mexicans approach a girl in Mexico. Americans may use a similar approach in the US, I don't know. However, Brazilians use quite a different approach so women may feel like princesses if they are approached by real gentlemen like us foreigners as opposed to libidinous boys wearing bermudas and tennis shoes throwing indecent proposals at them like if these girls were prostitutes or something. Not all Brazilians are like that but most of the young men I saw in these situations were "safados" (Portuguese for "totally crazy"). Even more crazy was to see that some of the girls actually excused themselves very politely for not accepting these proposals. I mean, if American women were approached this way, the guy would get arrested for sexual harassment and Mexican women would probably cry or call their macho brother to take care of the "bad guy". However, these ways of meeting women are pretty common in some places in Brazil and the girls tolerate it, some might even like it if they are too desperate for boyfriends. However, being a gentleman sets you apart from all these men and you don't even need money.

This is just an example but there are many ways in which foreigners are different to the locals and if the difference is a positive one, it can be used to your advantage. So, I don't think money is the only thing foreign men have over local men. However, if you're the type of foreigner that brags about his money, car, etc. decent girls in Latin America will find this disgusting because they value being modest. I always tell them that I'm poor but I say it as if I was proud of it, as if it really didn't matter to me which is the truth and for some reason, they seem to like men that aren't afraid of being poor. It's part of the machismo way of thinking. And yes, women in Latin America love machos but machos with class, not like the libidinous boys in bermuda shorts who approach them.

I really don't consider myself a loser in the United States or in Mexico for not having success with women in North America. I just think those women are not smart or sensitive enough to value the good qualities in me so why bother with these materialistic "bobas" when you can go to other places and date prettier, younger, caring, more intelligent women than in the USA and Mexico?

The problem is being able to choose "the one" from so many nice prospects. Those who have been to South America know what I'm talking about (especially those men under 40 y/o).

That is what I meant by saying I was a "nobody" in the United States. Actually, I'm not a nobody but women there (and in Mexico) may perceive me as a "nobody" because they are sailing in the ocean of materialism and consumism and I'm not a sailor in that sea. I have my own paradise under that sea surrounded by beautiful mermaids. If only I didn't have to go back to the sea surface every now and then...

Last edited:

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
lalla said:
Dominican women are into meeting interesting, smart, CONFIDENT men, not "nobody's".
If you possess a healthy sense of "self", that will come across and you are more likely to attract an intelligent lady.
BUT, by the way you come across, you will do JUUUUST fine attracting the pira?a chopas that prey on suckers....:eek:

Sorry for my self-inflicted sarcasm :) I'm not a nobody but I might be perceived as a "nobody" by materialistic "bobas" in the first world who can only see the "outside" features of people and are blind to the most sublime aspects of a human being, those that shine from the heart. I can live with that and I have no problem with it. Who wants to date a materialistic "boba" when there are so many beautiful, decent, young women hidden in the most exotic places in this world and waiting to be discovered by princes?, those princes that are rare where these girls live. And these princes sometimes happen to be the "nobodys" rejected by the "bobas" in other "more developed" societies where people are obsessed with simple pieces of paper called bills and pieces of metal called coins as well as noisy polluting cars and enslaving "high paying careers". What is the value of being a good person in those "developed" societies??

Last edited:

amigomexicano

Mar 21, 2006
AZB said:
Here is the real deal. Its far easier for a spanish speaking man to meet quality ladies than a white bread gringo who can't speak 3 words in spanish to save his life. There are many latinos living in santiago from various countries who are well settled with decent dominican women. I personally know 4 mexicans in this area who are happily settled into this culture. There are people from Peru, ecuador, mexico, costa rica and many other latin countries. You will have the least amount of trouble meeting women here if you are decent looking (not hip hop) and respect the folks around you. Just dress like everyone else and be humorous. You will fit in just fine.
AZB

Nice! Finally someone answers my question. Well, everything you mention makes sense. It will probably be similar to Brazil but with the added advantange that the girls will speak my language. Anyway, I'm sure it'll be fun meeting Dominicanas. They're quite beautiful women in my opinion and I love their Dominican accent as well as their music..Thanks AZB.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I quite enjoyed your long post about how to approach women say, in a mall or somewhere public. But for the Dominican Republic, perhaps you should have an introduction first ;) or be in a good group of friends. Am I right AZB?

corazonpartioamor

Apr 28, 2006
meeting women in the DR

I think Dominican women are looking for a man who will treat them right. Many Dominican women are fed up with how Dominican men treat them and I have seen them often seeking out other cultures.

I think it boils down to women from whatever country their from are looking for a man to treat them right. The fact that your Mexican is a plus. Go and have a good adventure. Its a great country with alot of history and things to explore. Every time I go back there I always learn something more. Dont get stuck in a resort. Get out and really see the Dominican REpublic. Try to go during baseball season Oct to Jan, its a great place to meet girls, go to out to concerts, dont stay in those stupid resorts designed for tourists comfort, that is not the Dominican Repbulic, the real Dominican Republic is outside the walls of "Alcatraz".

oh, and one more thing, you better really know your bachatta moves or a dominican girl will always long for her man to move her that way.

have fun, and enjoy, be safe

Cuidense
CNV

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
corazonpartioamor said:
I think Dominican women are looking for a man who will treat them right. Many Dominican women are fed up with how Dominican men treat them and I have seen them often seeking out other cultures.

I think it boils down to women from whatever country their from are looking for a man to treat them right. The fact that your Mexican is a plus. Go and have a good adventure. Its a great country with alot of history and things to explore. Every time I go back there I always learn something more. Dont get stuck in a resort. Get out and really see the Dominican REpublic. Try to go during baseball season Oct to Jan, its a great place to meet girls, go to out to concerts, dont stay in those stupid resorts designed for tourists comfort, that is not the Dominican Repbulic, the real Dominican Republic is outside the walls of "Alcatraz".

oh, and one more thing, you better really know your bachatta moves or a dominican girl will always long for her man to move her that way.

have fun, and enjoy, be safe

Cuidense
CNV

Corazonpartio you are right dominican women are fed up the way dominican men treat them and I think that's why in the past few years there has been lots of mixing of mexican men and dominican women especially here in NY.
amigomexicano seems to have good intentions towards women and seems respectful of them, wow one of the few in this forum.
Women all over are looking for a descent men who respects them overall. Most Dominican men everywhere have been neglecting their women because they want to fool around with everyone else. El que tiene tienda que la tienda o si no k la venda. that is the saying but men don't pay attention to that.
amigomexicano you'll do just fine in the DR go and have some fun get to know the DR, just go enjoy yourself, I'm sure you'll enjoy cause I know most you guys are very respectful people.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
amigomexicano said:
Nice! Finally someone answers my question. Well, everything you mention makes sense. It will probably be similar to Brazil but with the added advantange that the girls will speak my language. Anyway, I'm sure it'll be fun meeting Dominicanas. They're quite beautiful women in my opinion and I love their Dominican accent as well as their music..Thanks AZB.
most of the people who gave you negative responses, don't know the answer to begin with. You will be surprised to know how many folks who don't live here full time or only live in resort areas, know little about your asnwer. Many foreigners are living here for 10 yrs and don't even speak spanish or know a girl who is not a barrio slut or a hooker. You are wasting your time with them, they don't even know a dominican who is educated and has money. These people just talk trash to guys like you who is pushing for answers on topics they can't even guess at.
Now chris is right, you need to introduce yourself to the decent women first in a gentleman's way and then carry on the conversation.
Good luck, you will have more advantage over these foreigners who have been living in resort areas for 10 years.
AZB

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Lookie here!

In the DR, as in any country in the universe, there are all type of women for your need.

It all depends what you are looking for.

If you are a foreigner, from any foreign country, and you are just looking for a cheap thrill, you will find them easily.

If you are a foreigner thinking that just because you are foreign that you will get a decent, well-to-do, well educated woman, your chances are very slim. Not what it can not happen, but I doubt that one of these women will waste their time with someone that is visiting the county for a few days. Even Mr. AZB have stated that SOME of these women would not even look your (foreigner) way because they have nothing to gain from you since they have it all.

Don't think that because you don't have money that SOME would not treat you like a God. You have something much better than money, you have an easy way out of the country, the good old USA citizenship or good old USA legal status.

I will say it until I am blue on the face, MANY Dominicans, male and female, when they see a foreigner, white, black or orange, they see "$" signs even if you don't have any. SOME do not give a schit how you look or how old you are since all they see in you is an easy way out of the country.

For ME (NOTE: FOR ME) it's very hard to have a relationship with someone when I don't know what her real motives are. There's a lot of crap that one has to go thru and worry about. It's hard enough not knowing someone even if you live with them, imagine trying to get to know someone that lives so far away and whose's country is very well known for people (SOME) doing whatever is necessary to better themselves at all cost.

Again, depending of what you are looking for. You want easy woman, you can find them. You want a good woman that would wait for you, you can find them (still have to wonder about their motives). You want a well-to-do, well educated woman who would wait for you, even if you can not offer her any riches, good luck finding one.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Hey!! what's AZB doing here I thought he's was gonna sleep all weekend and then drop in at Ahibar. Can't stay away huh???
I better stop replying to these posts since I actually agree with most of you men replying anyway. I'm a normal woman, so I tend to look at things from a romantic point of view. have fun guys!!! let me go back to house cleaning and bolero listening.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
M.A.R. said:
Hey!! what's AZB doing here I thought he's was gonna sleep all weekend and then drop in at Ahibar. Can't stay away huh???
That is exactly what I am doing. I slept all afternoon, woke up for food and slept again. I have just returned from ahibar. I will wake up at 12 noon tomorrow. eat and then see some remote control planes flying in barranquita and then sleep again.
AZB

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
amigomexicano said:
What "dinero", se?or?? Did I talk about my bank account?? I don't have "dinero" and so I don't think they are after that. In fact, I'm glad I don't have money because that way I don't attract the wrong type of women.
[.... very long quote...]
That is what I meant by saying I was a "nobody" in the United States. Actually, I'm not a nobody but women there (and in Mexico) may perceive me as a "nobody" because they are sailing in the ocean of materialism and consumism and I'm not a sailor in that sea. I have my own paradise under that sea surrounded by beautiful mermaids. If only I didn't have to go back to the sea surface every now and then...

OK, this makes more sense, at least you've thought this out a lot. I actually like some of your thoughts which strike me as realistic, like the value of being a gentleman to women and the added value of being under 40, more than the many statements here to the contrary of old gringos playing the macho and obviously speaking from what they'd like not what they know. But if you read back your first post you have to agree that when you write "most of the "nobodys" (like me) here in the US become kings when they go abroad", you do come across as one of those guys that go to some third world country expecting to be treated like a king just because they are foreign. Now, you make an effort to explain you're different, want to learn about local culture, etc., great. Although I know little about dating Dominican girls (at least in the plural), I'd say it will obviously be an advantage to speak Spanish well when making meaningful contact with a girl. It's still not clear whether you're just looking for 'fun' or are on a continental quest to find the love of your life, but I'm sure you'll have a great time in the Dominican Republic, enjoy your holidays.

lalla

Bronze
Mar 10, 2003
AZB said:
That is exactly what I am doing. I slept all afternoon, woke up for food and slept again. I have just returned from ahibar. I will wake up at 12 noon tomorrow. eat and then see some remote control planes flying in barranquita and then sleep again.
AZB

And here I sit in my office doing work, wishing that all the computers would blow up while my freaking counteparts in the UK are off because they have a holiday called MAY DAY!! WTF is may day???

AZB, whats the weather like right now?

My grandfather, who is 98yrs old is coming to the US for the first time in his life!!!! WE FINALLY talked him into PLEASE visiting. That was years and years of pleading with him, and finally he will be on a plane en route to JFK tomorrow morning :)....BY THE BY, this old man, remarried after my grandmother passed away, and he has 5 more kids with his second wife, the youngest being 22yrs old! He is still working the plumbing :). His wife is the age of my eldest Aunt (56)...go figure

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Unbe-fricking-lievable!!!!!!!!!!

How can you not know what May Day is, lalla? No excuses.

And to add more controversy: AZB is right with regards to meeting decent girls in the DR. And I want to be like him when I grow up.

amigomexicano, when in the DR, don't be loud, forget bachata and merengue, and act calm. And, please, please, DO NOT try to impress with your status as a 'American citizen or whatever, as some have suggested - it means nothing in some circles. You'll be alright, buddy.

-The Kid

Last edited by a moderator: