Very Nice Resort, Very Impressed!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Instead of a trip report, this is rather a Resort Report from our most recent visit to the DR from April 9th until the 13th.

The moment that we drove into the Venta Club Gran Dominicus in Bayahibe/La Romana, I knew that I was going to like it.

We were met by very friendly reception desk workers and a complementary drink while we were trying to check-in. We were there 2 hours before check-in but the man told us that he would put our tags on so we could have something to eat and drink. While Louisa was changing in the bathroom, I told him that she was very tired and right away he called a maid and told ther that he needed a room "ahora mismo". Within a few seconds we were taken to our room. A pretty nice room with a little fridge with free bottles of water, a free safe and a porch.

This is, in my opinion, a very nice resort. The gardens were ALWAYS worked on by very friendly workers. Their "holas" were always welcomed. Lots of palm trees and flowers. In our opinions, a better resort than the Hamaca in Boca Chica.

This resort caters to an Italian clientele. In my estimation, 98% of the guests were Italian. The first 3 days, I saw no Spanish person other than me. Only on my last day did I see a Dominican/American family at the beach. Even the sign were mostly in Italian, some in Spanish and few in English. Even the music was mainly Italian. I don't even remember if I heard a bachata song (thank God) played.

They had all kind of games for kids at the kid's playground, aerobics for everybody and everywhere, games for everybody, contests all the time, they had people serving iced tea while you were sitting at the beach, they have a big theater where they have plays (they performed Pinochio). Most of the animation personnel consisted of Italian and Dominicans but ALL activities were "explained"/done in Italian.

Let me tall you guys that we were so impressed with the way those Italian tourists behaved. Amazingly nice. Since Louisa's parents are Italians and I am of white skin(somewhat), they thought that we were also Italians and their "hellos", "goodbyes" and "how are yous" (in Italian) towards us were very common. But with what we were the most impressed was with the way those Italian ladies, young and old, carried themselves. At dinner, it was a delight watching those ladies all dressed with very nice clothes and high heels(even when it was raining). There was no shouting or loud people. It was like they ALL knew each other. EVERYBODY was very pleasant with EVERYBODY.

The beach is, at least for us, better than any other beach we have been at. The white sand makes a beach look so beautiful. The beach is, in our opinions, better than Boca Chica.

The food was very well prepared and presented/displayed. We were also very impressed with the food selection. They have the main big buffet restaurant. They also have an Italian Restaurant (buffet) with only Italian Foods. They have a Mexican restaurant, a wine restaurant (I believe that it was not free), a pool bar/coffee place and a beach snack bar.

We were very impressed with this place and it was to our liking because it has everything that were looked for. We will go back again, without a doubt.

Ps: For all of those that are always complaining that when they visit resorts, that SOME of those resorts are full of loud and obnoxious Dominicans, here is a resort that IS NOT full of Dominicans at all. This is a very quiet and nice resort.

Last edited:

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Thank You

Miguel,

Thanks for this report. I have been thinking of trying a resort on the south coast. This might fit the bill.

Ciao,

JD

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Jersey Devil...You might also look at the Grand Bahia Principe in Punta Cana/Bavaro...

I know many people that have been there and the reviews are awesome!!!

Almost new hotel, tons of marble, great food, all jr. suites, pristine beaches, etc.

MQ

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Musicqueen said:
Jersey Devil...You might also look at the Grand Bahia Principe in Punta Cana/Bavaro...

I know many people that have been there and the reviews are awesome!!!

Almost new hotel, tons of marble, great food, all jr. suites, pristine beaches, etc.

MQ
Bahia Principe is a very nice resort.

Hey MQ,

can you please post Scott's blog again?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Musicqueen said:
Mr_DR:

Sorry, but I don't know what you're talking 'bout!;)

MQ
You posted Escott's new blog one day on the forum and I put it on my favorites but for some reason I can't find it on my list.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I don't remember EVER posting ANYONE's blog ANYWHERE...
Please, check again...
Like that songs says..."it wasn't me"...
MQ