apartment in Puerto Plata for a month

Status
Not open for further replies.

eas

May 1, 2006
Hi everyone,

I am new here and this is my first post! My name is Erica and I am a college student from Boston who'll be graduating in a month. My roommates and I are looking to rent an apartment in Puerto Plata for July to relax before we start our jobs. I read through old posts and it seems like one way to get an apt. is just to go down there and find one, but one of my roommates is uncomfortable with that idea. Is this the best way or are there good contacts here/sites online to look? Thanks for any suggestions.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It depends.
Do you know your way around?
Do you speak Spanish?
Do you have connections?
Do you really want to be in Puerto Plata, or the area?
Puerto Plata is a big, noisy polluted Dominican city with some tourism both to the East & the West.
I can't see wanting to stay there myself, unless you have all fallen in love with some local dudes.
Sosua or Cabarete may be much better choices.

eas

May 1, 2006
Hi Rocky,

Thanks for your reply. I am fluent in Spanish and my friends are pretty good, good enough to get around. I have stayed at a resort outside of Puerto Plata and wanted to go again but not stay in an AI. We are open to staying outside of the city/in Sosua or Cabarete and are definately not motivated by "falling in love with some local dudes"! Any suggestions are appreciated.

Erica

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi Erica,
Both Sosua & Cabarete are great.
Sosua is bigger and less expensive with better diving & swimming, while Cabarete is more geared to a younger sporty crowd, with windsurfing as it's main attraction.
Food & accomodations will cost approx. 50% more in Cabarete.

eas

May 1, 2006
Hi Rocky,
I stayed in Sosua at the Casa Cayena for a night (my flight got changed and we arrived a day early and needed a room). But I have not been to Cabarete. How does it compare in terms of size to Sosua, and also how long does it take to drive there from the POP airport?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Erica,
Rocky (Marco) is too ethical to self-promote his business, so I'll just make a suggestion. He has condos available is Sosua for short-term rental. Why don't you contact him by PM to see if he has a monthly rental available.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
eas said:
Hi Rocky,
I stayed in Sosua at the Casa Cayena for a night (my flight got changed and we arrived a day early and needed a room). But I have not been to Cabarete. How does it compare in terms of size to Sosua, and also how long does it take to drive there from the POP airport?
Cabarete is much smaller than Sosua, but the tourist area is relatively the same size.
POP airport to Casa Cayenna in El Batey Sosua, takes approx. 10 minutes by car, and another 10 minutes to Cabarete, so 20 minutes direct, from POP to Cabarete.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Apartment or condo?

Rocky (Marco) is too ethical to self-promote his business, so I'll just make a suggestion. He has condos available is Sosua for short-term rental. Why don't you contact him by PM to see if he has a monthly rental available.
We stayed in one of Marc's condos in Feb/Mar. I think this is the sort of thing you're looking for. Clean. Secure. Kitchen. Electricity when the power goes off, important in the DR. Pool. Fine for two people, but maybe he has larger ones. Ten minutes brisk walk to the centre of Sosua -- El Batey, (fifteen really since you'll probably leave "brisk" back home.) But motos (daytime) and taxis (for after dark?) abound and are not expensive. Since you'll be off-season the cost should be manageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.