Water Heater ?

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
For conserving energy are you best to turn the water heater on a couple hours before the morning shower or let it run all the time? May be a stupid question but was just wondering if it takes more electricity to keep warm water warm continuosly or to make cold water hot...thanks tom

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
you should consider an on-demand gas water heater. That's what they use in Brazil and it works quite well. I have also seen some in use in the DR, so I know that they have them.

There's also the option of solar heaters...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
twhitehead said:
For conserving energy are you best to turn the water heater on a couple hours before the morning shower or let it run all the time? May be a stupid question but was just wondering if it takes more electricity to keep warm water warm continuosly or to make cold water hot...thanks tom

You don't need to run it for a couple of hours. We keep our water heater off until time to take a shower, and 45 minutes to an hour is enough to give us both hot water for showers.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
We used to have an on-demand gas heater at our house. However, they really eat up propane gas. We have switched to these small, Italian/Brazilian(?), on-the-shower electric heaters. They are cheap, easy to install, and can do a decent job of keeping the water hot for just the time you are batheing....

In way over thirty years of use, we ( a very, very,large family) have experienced no major problems with these little apparatii (??).....:p:p

At the B&B we have a small electric heater and we ask our guests to turn it on just 20 minutes before their baths. Seems to work, but I have not really had much feedback on this issue.

I would certainly not keep an apparatus that consumes thousands of KW/hrs of energy on all the time.

HB :D:D

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Hillbilly said:
We used to have an on-demand gas heater at our house. However, they really eat up propane gas. We have switched to these small, Italian/Brazilian(?), on-the-shower electric heaters. They are cheap, easy to install, and can do a decent job of keeping the water hot for just the time you are batheing....

In way over thirty years of use, we ( a very, very,large family) have experienced no major problems with these little apparatii (??).....:p:p
I've seen those, HB, and actually have showered under one or two in Brazil. But the idea of having an electrical apparatus so close to a water source has always made me nervous... :paranoid:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The new ones are really very nice and very safe (if they are installed correctly of course). In Costa Rica, I showered under one of these with open electrical connections and a hole in the wood floor with water running straight into the ocean. I spent about 1 second in that shower and then decided to make another plan.

We have two of those shower-on-demand-thingies now installed and do not use our electrical water heater tank at all. All the electrical bits and pieces are well insulated on the shower on-demand thingies, and our newest one even has three temperature settings. The nice thing is that the inverter keeps them functioning.

Keith R said:
I've seen those, HB, and actually have showered under one or two in Brazil. But the idea of having an electrical apparatus so close to a water source has always made me nervous... :paranoid:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Where would we go to get one of the on-the-shower heaters? Santiago or Santo Domingo?

I've heard people complain about these things not giving them hot water, and others worry about how safe they are. But I believe the units they were talking about were installed some time ago. But if people like Hillbilly and Chris speak positively about them, then I can't help but think they must be safe and satisfactory.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Ken, I believe most fereterias would carry them, especially if the store is a little electrical oriented. Our first one was a cheaper one and the one we bought for the 2nd bathroom was 2,500 pesos, around a year ago. It has saved us much electricity even though it is a little pricey. What we find is that if you have good water pressure and open the water fully, the unit does not have time to do its heating job. So, we experimented with the water settings and get a good hot shower if the water is not opened at full force. Between the two that we have, the more expensive one works better.

OK, so imagine this (very non-technical description) .. you take your normal shower head off and then you have a pipe sticking out of the wall. This pipe needed to be replaced in our one bathroom and made longer. At the end of this pipe, the new shower head is installed (screwed on I think). It has an electrical cord that needs to be plugged into an electrical outlet. My better half insulated this pipe thoroughly and led the electrical cord up and around the ceiling to get all the electrics out of the way. Even I can now reach up and adjust the temperature setting on the new shower head without flinching, as the head itself is totally encased in plastic and insulated. The shower head unit itself has an 'off' switch and then two heating selections. If anything serious goes wrong with the on/off switch, one can always pull the plug out of the electrical outlet on the wall.

Added - I went to check on the name - It is called Lorenzetti Maxi Shower.

Last edited:

james

Jan 14, 2002
Our family used one for over 15 years. The same one mention...Lorenzetti but they can be found made in Italy and Brazil almost in every towns ferreteria.
They have a Hi and low sort of control and the fine adjustment is by the water volume (your faucet) less water its hotter and more its cooler. Cost next to nothing to run as it only uses electric when its turned on. (how long is your shower...3 to 5 minutes) The last one I purchased was approx RD$900. They heating coil can wear out after 4 to 6 years but new heating coil wire is available to replace it.....its like a coil in the old electric burners and very small.
The unit requires a ground...I have used one without in several places away from home that were not gounded, but DO Not Recommend It. Use a ground.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I've seen them at La Sirena for about 700 pesos. I don't trust them enough to use them. I use an on demand propane heater in my house.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I'll ask the better half on Skype tonight MrMike and get back to you. All I know, is that I cannot run the bigger one with the microwave on the inverter. One of the two has to go ;) The smaller one can run with my hairdryer on the inverter.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
From the horses mouth - the little one, when on high, consumes 15 amps. The big one consumes 20 amps on low and 30 on high. However these are the ratings and we run it quite happily on a 20 amp breaker and the breaker does not trip.

The better half says the published ratings are crap. The better half says that if you use these shower heads and you're on inverter, better not to use the microwave and the hairdryer at the same time. We have a big inverter - 3.6 kW.

Don't take my word for it. It works in our house but then I have an engineer co-habitating with me.

G

gary short

30amps times 120 volts= 3600V.A. divided by 12 volts=300 amps.................wow you got some battery back up.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Inverter is 24 volts - and not 12 volts. So when the shower is on, it draws 150 amps from the batteries for 5 minutes or so. It actually only consumes about 12 or 13 amps of the battery capacity. The load is high for only 5 minutes or so.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Ken said:
You don't need to run it for a couple of hours. We keep our water heater off until time to take a shower, and 45 minutes to an hour is enough to give us both hot water for showers.

Thank you Ken and HB (and all others) - the exact info I was looking for...tom