Mirabal sisters

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Hi folks. Can anyone tell me were the Mirabal sisters are buried. I also heard that there is a museum in their honor.Thanks

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
There is also a great movie ("In the Time of the Butterflies") with Salma Hayak and Mark Anthony that my husband and I bought on our last trip to the DR that is a loose depiction of the history of the Minerva sisters. It's worth worth seeing. Our vesion was in English with Spanish subtitles and we bought it from a street vendor in POP.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
The book is a lot better, closer to the truth. The movie was glorified and embelished to meet Hollywood standards. Many scenes in the movie never really happened.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Juniper said:
The book is a lot better, closer to the truth. The movie was glorified and embelished to meet Hollywood standards. Many scenes in the movie never really happened.

the book is by Julia Alvarez, a Dominican woman who came to the US as a little girl. Yes the book is very good.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
DominicanKing said:
What is the name of the book?

"In the time of the butterflies" o "En el tiempo de las mariposas" you can find it both in english and spanish. :)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I personally knew the daughter of mirabal sisters. Very well educated family with a great influence in the country.
AZB

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Minou Tavarez Mirabal

AZB said:
I personally knew the daughter of mirabal sisters. Very well educated family with a great influence in the country.
AZB

Aztab, you may be referring to Minou Tavarez Mirabal, daughter of National Hero Minerva Mirabal (one of the three Mirabal Sisters). Minou is represented in the film "In the Time of the Butterflies", as a four-year-old child by child actress Angelica Tepepa. Minou Tavarez Mirabal is a former Undersecretary of State (Vice Ministra de Relaciones Exteriores), and in tomorrow's election is seeking reelection to the lower house of Congress (Chamber of Deputies)...

-

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I was refering to jacqueline guzman, who lives in puerto plata (daughter of maria theresa). She has a real estate business in POP and her husband is a medico in Bournigal.
AZB

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Looking back at the life of the Mirabal sisters what political ideology did they believe in? I know the answer is probably found in the book by Julia Alvarez, but I have not read it. I have only seen the movie wich is probably not historically correct.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
thanatos said:
Looking back at the life of the Mirabal sisters what political ideology did they believe in? I know the answer is probably found in the book by Julia Alvarez, but I have not read it. I have only seen the movie wich is probably not historically correct.

Thanatus, would you hold them in less regard if you found out they were communist?

G

gary short

Careful....... the CIA probably has operatives disguised as DR 1 members recording all of our posts..............psssssssst watch out for Robert.......sssshhhh.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
What are you on the outside........a side glancing Repubemo atheist.

What is a Repubemo? :ermm: