dominicans in minnesota??

Apr 10, 2006
There aren't very many dominicans in the Mpls/St. Paul area. We have a small Caribbean population here, though there are a few restuarants and dance clubs/bars that cater to this crowd they tend to be full of Mexican and Central Americans.... there is Puerto Rican presence... People from the DR are few and far between.

Hope that helps. If you want the names of specific locations... bars/restaurants.... let me know.

~NA

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I know of one! He married Hipolita who used to post here. Wonderful girl. They met in Japan--she was studying Japanese andhe was buying car parts for shipment here.

I will check if hey want to make known their presence.

HB :D:D

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Not many

My "crystal bola" says that there are 447 Dominicans in Minn.

hip1

May 22, 2006
This may be just a rumor, but I heard that Conga Latin Bistro on E. Hennepin in Minneapolis is owned by a Dominican.

Apr 10, 2006
Conga... hmmm... I wouldn't be surprised though the clientele is mostly Mexican. Last month I went dancing there and there was an oddly large amount of bachata played that evening... though the crowd looked a little confused of how to dance to it... but they calmed down when the cumbia/rachero/Mexi-musica came back on. Conga has good food, large portions... but Puerta Azul in St. Paul has much better eats. Dancing... Friday's and Saturdays'

Other places is MPLS where you may find some dominicans....

Saturday = You could check... Salsa night at Lorning Pasta Bar on Saturday evenings. A multi-aged crowed until about midnight... than more of the low 20's crowd roles in. DR is from PR.

Friday = Or.... Nochee on Washington (ave.?) on Friday's has Reaggeton... this is new and not very popular yet. The DJ is from PR. Younger crowd.

Wednesday's = Escape Ulta Lounge (in Block E)... Salsa Buena night... they play salsa, merengue, bachata, reggaeton, cumbia y mas! Not the most classy of people... but it's Wednesday, what can you expect?

Friday's = Tiburon.... Live Salsa... a bit higher class crowd.... pleaty of peps from the caribbean.

This is a semi-complete list of places in Minneapolis.

disciplemckie

Feb 16, 2004
www.dovemissions.com
Wow, I am so excited to hear this. My Husband and I do short term mission trips to POP a couple of times a year. We are usually able to bring most of our supplies, but if anyone could contact us if they are going down throughout the year that would be awesome if they could bring an extra bag or two!!! Or even help out in any way. We are trying to buy some land in Congrejo to build a boys orphanage and run a business to support it. We could really use some Minnesota connections. The website is under construction, but will give you a small idea on what we do. www.dovemissions.com Love to here from you!
Liz

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
Conga is owned by the son of the former owner of El Meson, who is a dominican woman.

Mena's Records on Nicollet avenue is owned by Dominicans, the mother of the female owner is from Puerto Plata.

There is not a "community" per se but there is a growing population. If you would like to connect with dominicans, Mena's is a great place, or Conga at lunch time, they have a great buffet and it is a big lunchtime business meeting place.

machuca

Jun 7, 2006
dominican hair salons

Does anyone know of any dominican hair salons or a dominicana in minnesota who can blow out my frizzy hair.

Apr 10, 2006
Thanks for the info. I heard there was a salon from a Cuban friend.
We live in Minneapolis. My husband is from Santiago. Nice to know there may be a few dominicano/as here.

Granujr

Oct 16, 2009
Hello
I recently moved out here for work related. I'm in Maple Grove. little over 2 months. I was wondering if anyone knows of a supermaket that I can get Platanos and Salami?lol

Apr 10, 2006
You can get platanos at any Cub (next to bananas).... usually they don't have a lot. If you don't find any in Maple Grove you may need to go to St. Louis Park cub. I don't think we have have samali here... check out the meat section in the store. There are some similar options. Maple Groves close to us.... We have found many (for MN) Dominicans 25+ since my husband has arrived.

vladiny

Jun 5, 2009
Just thought I would introduce myself. I am Dominican living in St. Louis Park, MN since April of 2008. I moved out here for work with Park Nicollet Health Services. You can find Platanos and Salami at Byerlys. I heard there is a store in St. Paul that has international food products and you can find Dominican products as well. Does anyone know the name of this store and location?

I normally go to Picosa for dancing on Wednesday's with DJ Fatty. She loves Dominican music and will play anything you ask her for. Do not eat the food at Picosa, it is horrible. Conga Latin Bistro on the other hand has great food, but the dancing there is very ghetto. A lot of Mexicans wanting to fight. I normally hang at the bar with the bartender Angela (She is a Cool Dominican). Dixies on Friday nights in St. Paul is another good venue for dancing. The crowd at Dixies is mostly Puerto Ricans. If you like old school Hip Hop music, The W in downtown Minneapolis on Saturday's is a very trendy place. I definitely recommend. You can find a lot of professional Dominicans born in America in that place.

Mely85

Feb 6, 2010
Sadly there is a lack of Dominicans and Dominican products in Minnesota, but we can make due with what we have until our next vacation to the east coast or to DR. I live in Eden Prairie, and I have found nice and big platanos in Shakopee at the Super Walmart, and they sell for 50 cents a piece! Not bad. There used to be a place ran by un chinito in Minneapolis called Carribean Foods, back in the day he had Salami, THE REAL DOMINICAN KIND,NOT SUMMER SAUSAGE. But he went out of business. So I skip the salami and just use mexican queso blanco to replace the queso de freir and put some fried eggs and cebolla on top of my mountain of mangu. Haha..and to any fellow brugal drinkers, they now sell brugal in bloomington and also on Lake Street Liquors.

Apr 10, 2006
Do they sell the clear/white Brugal there?

We have bought it at Surdyk's in St. Anthony Main.... They just have dorado y anejo.

We are going to Santiago for Semana Santa... so we will stock up on somethings we have been missing.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Just moved back to Minnesota with my Dominican wife of 13 years & 3 kids. Looking for an update on Dominicans & Dominican places in Minnesota.

* I've been told Conga is indeed owned by a 2nd generation Dominican & that they get a few Dominicans. I'm hearing that this is about as good as it gets?

* I'll send my wife to Diamond on 58th/Nicollet & see what she thinks.

* Picosa is new to me, where is it?

* Dixies in St Paul? I never would have guessed that one.

* The W downtown? Is that located in the Foshay tower?