Cheering crowd

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Hey folks can anyone tell me when the tires of the plane hit the ground and the plane is full of DR's the clapping starts. Only inflights going and coming to DR this happens. Cultural thing or what.

G

gary short

Geez I thought that only happened on Air Transat flights...........................hail Mary full of grace.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
every time I have flown into Puerto Plata,the clapping begins when the tires hit the ground.

I figured it happens on all flights.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It's a Dominican thing!

I have flown to Spain and various Latin American countries and no clapping.
The only time they clap upon landing in JFK are flights originating from guess where? I would also love to know the history of this most annoying custom.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
thanatos said:
Hey folks can anyone tell me when the tires of the plane hit the ground and the plane is full of DR's the clapping starts. Only inflights going and coming to DR this happens. Cultural thing or what.

One reason is because we love that island sooo much and it feels sooo good to go back that the clapping happens automatically and the other reason is because we are grateful that we made it all in one piece. The first time I went to Mexico I was surprised at how boring the flight was and there was not clapping, I almost clapped, it was funny.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I used to find it annoying but now find it charming and quintessentially Dominican. :classic:

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
There's clapping in the flights going to Ecuador - but it's not the entire plane though (like the ones going from/to DR)

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
If you think they clap a lot now, you should have been with me coming into Santo Domingo on an Airbus 300 about 10 days after another A300 on its way to Santo Domingo, crashed in NY in November 2001, killing everyone (mostly dominicanos) on board. There were not just people clapping, there were people crying after making it safely to the ground, home once again.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
That is just morbid.

Why bring something like that up?

Wanna talk about Flight 587?

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
No clapping at all when the plane lands at Punta Cana airport - I'm usually the only Dominican nincompoop on most flights. I think it's a Dom-York custom.

-The Kid

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
I actually like the idea of the clapping. I think that it's also of way of thanking the pilot for getting us to our destination safely as well as I can finally get off this plane and go and have some fun

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Clapping is very Capotillo, Los Guandules, and Las Ca?itas, and equal parts Sim?n Bol?var. Could you imagine the steemed golo practicing such a custom? No way, Hose-B. I doubt they clap on First Class.

While The Kid can only afford coach, his obsession with all things golo prevents him from succumbing to such a display of jocosidad.

As the plane lands at SDQ, golo folds his Moleskine notebook, puts away his Mont Blanc pen, reaches to his paid-for empty window seat to his left, and grabs his Prada mini-trifold bag and pulls out his GPS tracking device to determine the exact location of his limo. Meanwhile, the crowd behind the curtain is starting to get up from their seats, defying the captain's orders to remain seated until they reach the gate.

-The Kid

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's not as common as it used to be, but I remember it happening on flights all over the place (Latin America, southern Europe, Middle East) well before I ever went to the DR. Unless those planes all coincidentally happened to have a sizeable Dominican contingent on board...

The high incidence of crashes on the Central American route, and the terrifying experience that is landing at Gibraltar airport (second only to the old Hong Kong airport, it is said) may have something to do with that. Landing in some Central American and Andean airports that are in highland valleys like Tegucigalpa, Guatemala City and Ayacucho is no joke either. I've found that Latin Americans in general are quite nervous fliers, or are not ashamed admit to being scared of flying. Hence the sense of relief and gratitude when the plane arrives at its destination.

It always amuses me that applause breaks out the moment the wheels touch the tarmac, when those last few seconds after touchdown when the plane screeches to a halt are probably the most nerve-wracking.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
tarrantino said:
every time I have flown into Puerto Plata,the clapping begins when the tires hit the ground.

I figured it happens on all flights.

If it's Christmas the clapping starts right before the plane hits the tarmac. Have witnessed this two Christmas in a row into STI (the little things we pay attention to huh!). Folks are soooooo excited to be going back home at this time of year.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
First time I heard the clapping on landing was early 60s on a Pan Am Super Constellation, hailing from Maiquet?a to Punta Caucedo. It was a stirring round of applause which I understood was directed to the pilot...