Bahia Principe - San Juan

Status
Not open for further replies.

westcoastgirl24

May 18, 2006
Hi
I'm travelling to DR for the first time in a couple of weeks and am looking for some good travelling tips and a few more specific answers. This is my first adventure at an AI resort and I'm super excited but not too sure how the whole thing works. How much extra spending money should I bring? Everything says NOT to tip???? is this true? How often are we going to want to leave the resort and is it safe to do so?
So much to learn so little time.
Also, what is the conversion from Canadian dollars to DR money (still need to figure out exactly what it is).... I think Pesos??
Anyways, if anyone has any helpful information it would be much appreciated. As is probably obvious this was a bit of a spontaneous holiday!!

Thanks in advance!!

Tips for travelling

Forget your Canadian money, convert to US $ in small denominations before you leave Canada. The US$ is accepted almost everywhere. Conversion rate is around 32 RD peso's per US$. If you have to exchange to peso's do it in small amounts otherwise you will be stick with peso's as they will not change it back to US$ for you.

Tipping at an AI is a matter of preference and for services received, although not necessary I would recommend it if the service is good. A couple of bucks goes a long ways for better service and tips are appreciated.

There is not a lot to do off resort in Rio San Juan except maybe see the culture of the people in the village, the resort is a bit off the beaten path 90 minutes east of the POP airport. There will be off resort tours offered which you could take, most of these will take you back toward the area of Puerto Plata. Safety is like in any location, use common sense and you should have no problems.

Enjoy!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The most beautiful and secluded beach on the North Coast is close to your hotel. Playa Caleton. Ask the front desk about going there. I believe the hotel has a boat that goes there every day for a few hours.

Of course you can go without the boat. It is about a 15 minute ride by car.

When you get to the beach, ask for Tony. He speaks English and will get you a table right on the beach for Lobster and fresh whole fish.

Also if you like Golf, the finest Golf course in the D.R. is there also. Playa Grande, it is a replica of Pebble Beach and a must see. The beach also named Playa Grande is also nice.

There are other things in Rio S.Juan, but these are the best. If you need more info feel free to PM me.

jwampler

Feb 5, 2004
Rio San Juan

There is also the Gri Gri Lagoon trip which Im sure is offered at Bahia Principe.
It's a very nice water tour.

Jack

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
A while back

the animation team at Bahia Principe was the talk of the Sankie 101 forum. Not so much lately, but I'm sure you could get "sankiefied" if you are so inclined.;)

I don't stay at AIs but I loveRio San Juan, and will second the suggestions to go to Playa Grande (the beach) and the boat trip from Laguna Gri Gri.

westcoastgirl24

May 18, 2006
Thanks everyone for your feed back. I'm getting more and more excited as the days pass. Just a few more quick questions. Can we use VISA down there and how does the dollar compare. I get that 1USD = 30 pesos but are things comparatively priced to resorts in the states?

Also, when we get there is there a bus or something to get to the resort?

Thanks again

jwampler

Feb 5, 2004
What a great time

Enjoy!! You're going to have a great time. After you clear customs and walk outside you'll see several different hotel persons with signs. No problem. Just look for Bahia Principe. He'll direct you to your bus and take care of your bags. It's about an hour's ride to the hotel. The ride and scenery are very nice.

You can change currency at the hotel for around 30 to 1 as you said. I wouldn't change to much as most places accept US dollars easily. You'll get a better exchange in Rio San Juan and Im guessing you've never exchanged money on the street. It's easy to do. For example right across from the main bank in Rio San Juan look for an office that says internet, telephone, exchange etc.
They usually post outside what rate they will change Euros and US for. Also, the money changers on the street will likely approach you too. It's interesting and no problem.

All major credit cards including Visa are usually welcome. If they use the old push pull imprint always remember to get the carbon copies so you can destroy them yourself.

Have a great trip. Im betting you fall in love with the area. Let us know when you return. Thanks,

Jack

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
jwampler said:
You can change currency at the hotel for around 30 to 1 as you said. I wouldn't change to much as most places accept US dollars easily. You'll get a better exchange in Rio San Juan and Im guessing you've never exchanged money on the street. It's easy to do. For example right across from the main bank in Rio San Juan look for an office that says internet, telephone, exchange etc.
They usually post outside what rate they will change Euros and US for. Also, the money changers on the street will likely approach you too. It's interesting and no problem.

All major credit cards including Visa are usually welcome. If they use the old push pull imprint always remember to get the carbon copies so you can destroy them yourself.

Have a great trip. Im betting you fall in love with the area. Let us know when you return. Thanks,

Jack

Great info but I would recommend avoiding changing money with freelancers on the street. Street money changers can be very clever at giving you much less than you expected; they often give you counterfeit peso notes as well.

jwampler

Feb 5, 2004
What I Like

One of the things I like to do is round up 5 or 6 people and hire a taxi for 3 or 4 hours. Cost is usually around $10US per person that way. Ask the tour desk for help and what they recommend and they will take care of it for you and tell the taxi driver where you want to go.

What I like to do (taxi tour) is go to Playa Grande Beach (take pictures and check out the surf-fantastic views), Playa Grande Golf Course (they have an observation deck after you go through the restaurant for taking great pictures), Playa Caleton (what a great beach) and then Rio San Juan for shopping and then have a beverage(s) at the bar on the porch right across from the Gri Gri Lagoon. It's the best location in my opinion for people watching and prices for beer/soda are excellent there. You're taxi driver will easily wait while you enjoy. Behind the Gri Gri Lagoon area is a hotel on the beach. Believe it is called Bahia Blanca. Just next to it is where they are hand making these huge boats. Really something to see. Your taxi driver should be able to take you to it. Seeing the boats being hand built is something else. There were 3 in progress just a few weeks ago.

That's my suggestions and what I like. The tour desk may have other suggestion also.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.