Travel from Santo Domingo to Playa Dorada, Puerto Plata

mikemi

May 31, 2006
I'm flying into Santo Domingo from Detroit in December and would like to know the best way to get to Puerto Plata, would renting a car or public transportation be best? Thank you in advance for any help

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) Fly into STI, instead of SDQ..Just heard that Delta has some great flights in there, and so do Jet Blue and Continental.

Save you almost a full day's fun and games....Plus it's cheaper!! More Beer money.

HB :D:D

mikemi

May 31, 2006
Well we already bought are tickets, we had to cancel the first resort that we where going to stay at that had a pick up service. Are the buses nice to ride in and is the trip enjoyable? This will be are first time in the Dominican and we are so excited.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
What time do you get to Santo Domingo? The buses don't depart after early evening and you have to figure about an hour from the Airport to the bus terminal, then approx. 5 hour bus ride. This island is not that small.

mikemi

May 31, 2006
We where going to stay in Santo Domingo, but we had to change resorts. So are plane tickets are for there and its not cheap to change them. We where told by the resort that we should take a taxi from SDQ and it would take about 4 hours.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
mikemi said:
We where going to stay in Santo Domingo, but we had to change resorts. So are plane tickets are for there and its not cheap to change them. We where told by the resort that we should take a taxi from SDQ and it would take about 4 hours.
Did they tell you that a taxi is at least $150 each way?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
OKAY! Take a taxi to either Caribe Tours or Metro bus station. Haggle a bit on the fare. There is supposed to be a list of fares as you come out of the Customs area of the airport. Don't be afraid to walk away fromthe taxi if you feel he is charging you too much.

At that time of the year, most of the ride will be late evening and dark. what hotel are you going to?
The buses are very comfortable, tell your wife to keep a light sweater handy...

Look into changing flights. you might save more by flying into Santiago (STI) than it will cost you to change the tickets. check it out at least.

FINALLY --->>> A DIRE WARNING FROM THE GRAMMAR POLICE:

DO NOT call the Dominican Republic, the Dominican! Call it the DR or QUISQUEYA (kees kay yah) or by its full name. You don't live in the United, do you??

think about these suggestions and answer the question about where you will be staying.

HB :D:D:D

mikemi

May 31, 2006
yes they did thats why I was wondering if a bus would be better, there is going to be 4 of us traveling.

mikemi

May 31, 2006
Sorry about the grammer thing I was not aware of that. I'm really thankfull that your helping us out. We are staying at the Perennial Vacation Club at Tropicale.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Folks, i am sorry, but is that in the Playa Dorada complex?

If it is, then a Metro bus and taxi to the Playa Dorada area is in order..right?

I have been hearing that it is at least $150 cheaper and sometimes more, to arrive at STi rather than SDQ....check it out with a good travel agent.

HB

mikemi

May 31, 2006
Yes its in the Playa Dorada complex, and I have been looking at other plane flights. We got are tickets at a very low rate to fly into SDQ and everything else is at least $150 more, plus we would have to pay an additional penalty for changing flights.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Okay, then here is the deal. If you can make the flight with just carry on stuff, get out of the airport as fast as possible to the taxi stand. make sure you look at the prices.
You want to go to the Metro Bus Station on Winston Churchill.(Or the Caribe Tours Bus Station) You will get one of their buses to POP, or depending on the schedules( I will look them up a bit later--) maybe you'll have to go with Caribe Torus...either of them is fine for the trip. Do take a long sleeved shirt or a light jacket of a light sweater, and something to read.(and ear plugs)

Get some water and munchies before you leave....SDQ- STI is about 1:45. A couple of short stops in Santiago(if Caribe Tours) one stop in Santiago if metro..then another 1:15 to POP. Then a negotiated taxi out to the Playa Dorada comples (10 minutes, max.) That will be your day and evening.

We'll get you some prices for this stuff...

HB :D:D

mikemi

May 31, 2006
We just wanted to say thanks for all your help, We just can't wait for are trip. Thanks again