What are your thoughts?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
For those of us flying to the DR for the Christmas holidays know this...

I'm flying from JFK to STI (Santiago International).

I have been online for the past couple of weeks checking flights Dec 22 to Jan 7. The flights at Delta started at $700 last month. At AA they started at $500 and change. I just checked today and Delta is $1125 AA $826.

I'm I missing something here? Is it too soon to buy or too late?

I go back every holiday and last year I paid $760 on Delta for around the same time and I bought in September.

Any experts care to comment? Are we going to have to pay higher fares during the holidays?

Jan 9, 2004
Change your dates!

El Tigre:

Change your dates, if possible, and there are worthwhile differences. For example; JFK to STI on Delta leaving on 12/21/06 and returning 1/04/07 is $696.00 w/all taxes. Try leaving and returning on Tuesday/Wednesday, that usually yields the best prices.

Delta, perhaps because of their labor/bankruptcy problems has kept flight prices down everywhere. Plug those same dates in for Boston to SDQ and you get $485.00 w/taxes.

I do not believe there will be any better holiday pricing if you wait...especially if oil spikes higher.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

El Tigre said:
For those of us flying to the DR for the Christmas holidays know this...

I'm flying from JFK to STI (Santiago International).

I have been online for the past couple of weeks checking flights Dec 22 to Jan 7. The flights at Delta started at $700 last month. At AA they started at $500 and change. I just checked today and Delta is $1125 AA $826.

I'm I missing something here? Is it too soon to buy or too late?

I go back every holiday and last year I paid $760 on Delta for around the same time and I bought in September.

Any experts care to comment? Are we going to have to pay higher fares during the holidays?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I think it's a bit early to buy, although most airlines will give you a credit if the fares go down after you book (it's up tp you to monitor the fares).

CO fare for those dates are about $850. Changing by one day put the fare under $700, which still seems a bit pricey.

Unless you're a "Nervous Nelly', I would wait until September to book; or you could book now and find out the airlines policies if fares go down.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I have never waited and gotten a better rate. Last year I bought my Xmas tickets very early and paid $1000 for three (Delta JFK to SDQ) for the same dates you have Tigre.

I recently started looking around for fares for Dec and I cannot believe the prices I'm getting back. There's no way I can afford to go this year at those rates.

If anybody sees anything else out there, let me know. For now, I'm planning my Xmas right here in NJ!

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Talldrink said:
I have never waited and gotten a better rate. Last year I bought my Xmas tickets very early and paid $1000 for three (Delta JFK to SDQ) for the same dates you have Tigre.

I recently started looking around for fares for Dec and I cannot believe the prices I'm getting back. There's no way I can afford to go this year at those rates.

If anybody sees anything else out there, let me know. For now, I'm planning my Xmas right here in NJ!

Tell me about it!!! It's ridiculous.

I made a bow never to spend another Christmas here in NYC. It is soooo freakin' sad. Another thing is that my whole immediate family (mom and sis) leave every year too so if I stay who would I stay with.

Que nos libre Dios y que podamos conseguir algo.

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
Flight from Toronto leaving around Dec 15 and returning Jan 7ish is currently just over $1600. with Air Canada. Flying out of Buffalo is even more expensive.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
I bought my tix last year in November to go from 12/25 through 1/6 and paid around $350 with AA...

So I suggest you wait a bit...I think it's too early...they are always having special fares and promotions...but if you do buy now, it's true..they will give you a refund on what you paid if the prices go down...at least they did that to me last year also!

Good luck...if not, maybe you can come down to Miami and spend Christmas here...si Dios quiere, Tony will be here with me by then!!! ;)

MQ

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Tigre - what happens if you stay? No other family here? Im trying to get out of the Xmas habit in DR. Everything is more money - is a lot more fun, but is such a big spend around that time!

MQ - I hope you spend Xmas with your Tony, it all sounds so nice... good for you! BTW - did you celebrate after the game on Friday? I was in South Beach Friday and Saturday, and it was RIDICULOUS!! What will happen if the Heat actually get the ring????? Hay Dios mio, mercy for you guys!

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Musicqueen said:
Good luck...if not, maybe you can come down to Miami and spend Christmas here...si Dios quiere, Tony will be here with me by then!!! ;)

MQ

That's so nice of you MQ. I think I'm gonna sit it out and see if they might drop.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Talldrink said:
Tigre - what happens if you stay? No other family here? Im trying to get out of the Xmas habit in DR. Everything is more money - is a lot more fun, but is such a big spend around that time

Hey - Yeah I got more family here but they also leave as well.

I know exactly what you are saying about everything being so expensive around that time of year. My rental car company increases my rental rate $15 per day during that time. Todo es tan caro but it's a price we can choose to pay to be "happy".

We'll see how it turns out. I'm going to sit it out. Maybe we might get lucky and Delta adds on another flight both to STI and SDQ.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Talldrink said:
MQ - I hope you spend Xmas with your Tony, it all sounds so nice... good for you! BTW - did you celebrate after the game on Friday? I was in South Beach Friday and Saturday, and it was RIDICULOUS!! What will happen if the Heat actually get the ring????? Hay Dios mio, mercy for you guys!

Not a big basketball fan...I was doing a live appearance for the radio station at a nightclub...dancing merengue and bachata...(shhhh! don't tell Tony ;))

I heard it was crazy here...I was in Ft. Lauderdale...Thank God!!!

Thank you for the good wishes...yes, I pray that we get that fricking visa before Christmas...so we can celebrate here...I know what you mean about all the expenses during that time...!

MQ

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Ah... havent danced good merengue and some wholesome bachata in so long!
Que envidia!

I know you are a baseball gal...
I like Basketball. But I'm used to true-up fans like the NYC ones. I learned from working in Miami's basketball scene that they are not real or loyal fans, they only follow the team when they are doing good. Anyway - is a whole different picture in South Florida.

Tigre - thats what I'm working on - not making DR my happiness. No puedo seguir teniendo un pie aqui y el otro aya.

Jan 9, 2004
Jetblue

El Tigre:

Although their flight departure times leave a lot to be desired, Jetblue is at $349 plus taxes for your desired dates.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 5, 2006
12/22 - 1/7 = $815.90 on Jetblue
12/22 - 1/6 - $815.90 on Jetblue
12/21 - 1/7 = $760.90 on Delta
12/21 - 1/5 = $540.90 on Delta