Dominican Central Bank Planning to Build Another Playa Grande

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=a18b>Central Bank to hold international bidding for tourism project

</TD></TR><TR><TD>
1X1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>MONTELLANO, Puerto Plata.- Central Bank (CB) governor Hector Valdez Albizu affirmed that land in Bergantin, Los Cocos and Boca Nueva in this province will be subject to an international bidding contest, with a view to developing a tourism development project that will generate jobs and will have a multiplying effect for the Northern region. [...]

http://bancentral.gov.do/venta_inmuebles.asp?a=Descripción_Montellano

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
This have been going on for the last 10 years. So far always something stops the project. Mainly the fishermen and their families who lives and works in the villages. Those were offered to get apartments in Montellano in exchange of their houses about 3 years ago, and they refused. 1 room house - 1 room apartment.
Ownership of land and houses are also very unclear, as these have been passed on from father to son for some hundreds of years.

Let´s see what happens this time.

Ps. It is a tourist development they are interested in, simular to Playa Dorada.
Meaning also airport and capacity needs to be looked over etc etc..

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I hope they don't go through with it. I love Bergantin just the way it is. Why is it that the Government has to stick their nose everywhere. I have been going there for many many years. In fact I'm even friends with a lady and her family that cook for visitors. She makes the best darn ensalada de pulpo!!!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
El Tigre said:
I hope they don't go through with it. I love Bergantin just the way it is. Why is it that the Government has to stick their nose everywhere. I have been going there for many many years. In fact I'm even friends with a lady and her family that cook for visitors. She makes the best darn ensalada de pulpo!!!

I believe it is too many question marks here about ownerships, moving people from their lands etc to make foreigners to put money in this. At least it has been that the last years when they have tried to make a tourist development area of these areas. This was up as an idea shortly after 1980 when Playa Dorada was built. Still no progress. Thanks for that! I too love Bergantine as it is!