Court ordered support payments

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
If a person has been ordered to pay support in a Canadian court, does anyone know if there is a reciprocating system between the DR and Canada to make this enforceable??

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Spicedwine said:
If a person has been ordered to pay support in a Canadian court, does anyone know if there is a reciprocating system between the DR and Canada to make this enforceable??
I don't know Canadian or DR Law, but I can tell you about US Law, if you owe child or spousal support in the US and decide to skip town, you better stay outta of town, because there will be a warrant waiting for your return. And if you have a warrant for your ARREST and they know where you are, they can in many countries especially a US friendly country like the DR, have your tail arrested there and expedited back to face charges.

I hope this will put you in the right direction:classic:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If the person in Canada hires a Dominican lawyer to go before a Dominican court with the divorce decree that stipulates alimoney or child support, the Dominican court will uphold the decree....and you can be put in jail or your wages garnered.

(Let me say that I have seen this happen with a US divorce decree, but not a Canadian one. I am supposing that similar treaties are inforce.)

HB

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Thanks for the replies, all information helps. With any luck it will remain an information collection...