directions to damajagua

rasta

May 13, 2006
Hi, im living in cabarete and really want to go visit the damajagua waterfalls but im not sure how to get there from cabarete. please let me know how to get there and also what is the cheapest way to do the trip? Thanks!!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
All I know is that the sign for Damagua Falls is about 10-15 minutes after passing Imbert on the left side (the highway from Puerto Plata to Santiago via Navarete). From there you have get a guide, usually these Dominican kids in blue shirts.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
After you pass Imbert, would say about 5 more kms, there is a small road community with signs of the Asociacion de Guias de Damajagua. You want to take a trip with one of those guys. I recommend you go very early, be there at around 8:30 am. The best way to do the trip is to hike up to the 27th fall and then make your way down. You have to be physically fit (just able to climb 6 floors without huffing and puffing), feel comfortable in water -- at least be able to do dog paddle. Bring good hiking shoes that can get wet -- even though I used Sperry Top Siders that were fine -- and clothes that can get wet. You will be jumping in and outside of the water. Would think a guide would charge about RD$400-RD$500 for the trip. At leisure, it should take you about 5 hours. They may suggest going only up to the 7th hole and then back, but it's best to hike and then jump and slide down.

As Chris said, since it has been raining a lot, some falls may be dangerous. But that is why you go with one of the guides that will know which ones need to be avoided.

Jostan

Jun 17, 2006
So, you can just walk up all the way until the 27th? (without rope climbing and climbing the waterfalls?) and then go down on all??
Man that's a lot better than what I did, climb the 7 waterfalls and then go down again. They told me to go up all 27 you needed equipment and 'good upper body strength'.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Of course you need equipment and good upper body strength if you go up the falls. The trick is to HIKE up and then come down. There may be, nevertheless, some point where you may need to rapel down, but this would be the exception and could be accomplished with a rope. Joel and Roberto, guides that have worked with Domingo Abreu, can help you with this. Ask for either of them. Hiking up the 27 falls makes a big difference. This is a natural wonder like very few in the world.