Economic Guru?

ddalet

Nov 9, 2005
Who's writing the front page news on this site?

The author refers to Andy D as an economic guru, when it should read more like 'economic leech'. After all, this is a man who made comissions for himself while placing DR public debt... Newsflash, when you are part of the economic team or the so called 'head of' the economic team of a country, you don't arrange to make personal gains from placing products within your job description.

This is the equivalent of Ben Bernanke using his influence as Fed Chairman to make money on the directions the markets are going to shift based on his actions.... this is ridiculous.

What's even more ridiculous is that this is a person that is taken seriously by the media. How about some responsibility to the country you are reporting about... not trying to single out your website here but this is a good a place as any to start.

What this guy has to say may be 'news' to some people, but flattering qualifiers to what many educated people would consider an enemy of the Dominican state are unnecessary.

Discuss.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Note that he is also described as the man who brought us the sovereign bonds and the Union Fenosa buyback. DR1 covers what people are talking about.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That was also written with tongue in cheek, I think.

The guy has balls of steel, and absolutely no scruples. i totally agree about the unethical use of his position and what happened withthe sovereign bonds. i get the feeling that that was why it was mentioned in the piece, since it was NOT in the original article...

One of the really ballsy programs on TV is when Andy gets together with Atallah, who was Superintendent of Banks during the BanInter deal....some superintendent.

HB :D:D:D

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
And the guy never shuts up! He is always yakking away on Channel 46 or 47 on Telecable. No matter what time of day or night. And, on the other hand, that guy Vincho never shuts up either - he's always yakking away on channel 52 or 53. I can only imagine that both of their wives must have committed suicide after about a year of listening to this continual b.s. spewing.

Here's another potential energy source for the DR - hook these 2 guys up to a hot-air generator, and then, no matter who's in power, the DR will receive electricity!

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Rasputin

I agree, Andy D. is a total crook. He contributed to the national economic plunge in the last government. Having graduated from Harvard in economics, he knew very well the detrimental effect the sovereign bonds would have on the Dominican economy. Hippo needed quick money, so Andy D. convinced the IMF to issue sovereign bonds so that he could make a nice commission at the expense of the country.
The guy thinks that he?s really smart because he hosts a talk show every night. With this he B.S?s about his past activities and paints a pretty picture. On this show besides Atallah he recently invited Malkum who?s has been declared officially the worst governor of the Dominican Central Bank ever. Responsible for hyperinflation and $RD55 to 1 $US exchange rate. His specialty was printing inorganic money and guess who was his personal advisor.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh schitt, no, you are certainly not the onlyone!!

What I did like about Andy's column was the fact that he has all the numbers, and probably access to even more interesting numbers. of course, he uses them to infuriate the current government.

The basic point of that column was to question statements made by two top-level officials of Leonel's government: Leonel himself and the STP(Montas) as to the why of the propane subsidy removal and the non-spending on education. Especially in the light of recent acid comments by the World Bank, the inter American Develp=opment Bank and just recently the Cenantillas report. they are all firing bullets at the DR gvoernment for not spending hardly any money on education or health.

I mentioned on another thread that i have always dreamed about getting rid of the DR Army. To this I would add all of the governors and their staffs! More totally useless and powerless party hacks. All Andy did was point out how the government spent like RD$5.0 billion playing politics for four months.

HB :D:D:D

johnny C

Sep 15, 2004
Economics is a funny game - It is next to impossible to predict what will happen. That said, the Fernandez Government is not the first to spend too little money on Education & Health Care. Truth be told anyone that had their hands in the Economic policies of the Meija Government should not be calling too much attention to themselves.