General info

BMack

Jun 10, 2006
My wife and I will be making our first trip to the DR this fall and will be staying either in Punta Cana or Puerto Plata we were woundering which area would give us the best opportunity to experience the real DR.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Neither. Frankly. Those are resort towns. What is the "real" DR you want to experience? You want to know how the majority of people here live, then you wouldhave to stay in one of the barrios,a nd I dont think you would like it much. One thing you might do, however, is stay in Puerto Plata and take trips out to the surrounding campo in order to see how rural dominicans live, which is not a majority of the population but is still a major part of the society and culture here.

You could plan ot stay a few days in a place like San Jose de las Matas or some such town with a decent hotel.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Interesting question.

A lot depends on just how adventerous you all are.

Look, most of us here on DR1 and the other DR related sites, feel that Punta Cana is "way out there" .....It is, of course, a gorgeous place. the down side is that it is fairly isolated from just about everything, and considering that like 15 years ago there was nobody (real Dominicans) living out there, it is difficult to get a read on the people.

Therefore. I can propose two options. Both a lot cheaper then Punta Cana.
1) Go to a small, non-all inclusive, place in either Sosúa or Puerto Plata, like Tropix for instance, and take a bunch of day trips to different places. Do the tourist thing, sure--Ocean World, Cable Car, Ambar Museum, the old fort San Felipe, and some of the other things. But take a bus to Santiago and see the Centro Leon. That would cost you under $30 without food and maybe $50 with food.
2) Go the all inclusive route in Puerto Plata's Playa Dorada. Book a couple of day trips and see if you like them.

do you golf? important question since it opens all kinds of new adventures...

HB :D:D:D