Interest rates

muluco

Jun 6, 2006
Is it practical or possible to take advantage of the higher interest rates in the DR? I think dr1 mentioned some goverment CDs in 6 and 12 month terms that paid around 16-20%. My wife is still a DR citizen.The investment would be in US dollars.

G

gary short

You have to purchase CDs in pesos. The interest is paid in pesos to your DR bank account.

muluco

Jun 6, 2006
So I convert $ to pesos, within legal limits, then collect intrest in a local bank.Sounds simple but are there taxes, time limits for withdrawl, banking fees? This sound like a great way to make a relatively safe 18 percent.

G

gary short

Banking fees are practically nil as are taxes although that may change. The value of the peso can fluctuate rapidly. Never heard of tme limits for withdrawals.....I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Figures to sleep on?

16c3slu.jpg

m'frog

muluco

Jun 6, 2006
Years ago I cashed a cd and had to wait a week for the money.In the dr I can imagine much longer.... I dont know what to expect but this seems like something worth trying. Thanks for the input.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
muluco said:
Is it practical or possible to take advantage of the higher interest rates in the DR? I think dr1 mentioned some goverment CDs in 6 and 12 month terms that paid around 16-20%. My wife is still a DR citizen.The investment would be in US dollars.
The CD rates at Banco Central have just changed ...... Down again!! You can take 3, 6, 12, 24 & 30 month periods for the CDs & rates vary accordingly (from 8% up to 12% as I recall but you need to check that).

Going OUTSIDE the Banco Central into the Private sector, you can still get between 8% to 10% p.a. on U$D, Euro & Pound Sterling deposits or 12% - 16% on RD pesos (depending on amount of capital invested). Again, Tax Free at moment but likely to change within the next 3 or 4 years I suspect. ~ Grahame

MarkusL1

May 3, 2004
8-12% in the US

You can also get 8-12% a year by giving privat mortgages in the US. The risk is very low since the loan to value is only 60-70% of the residential real estate value. Might be a safer way of investing than DR Peso CD's.
You interests are secured because in the US mortgages are recorded with the county. I always made good money this way. :eek:)

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Gee! I made 11-14% on the peso on a rolling per annum basis just by holding onto green cash dollars.
Tell me again why you'd give your money to unknown foreigners with clear and recent histories of using it to buy yachts, helicopters, Aspen mansions, etc., for a measly 12% that gets rolled over into locked Central Bank accounts (for your protection, of course).