Whose responsible?

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
I have a couple questions i've been thinking about;

1. Say a person from the DR comes to US on visitors visa and for some reason need medical help, goes to Emergency room, Doctor whoever, and obviously does not have insurance. Is this a case where US tax dollars pay for expenses, or if this person has family in US , would the family be financially responsible?

2. If you know that a family member is coming to US from DR for a lengthy period of time, has a visitors visa for 10 yrs and doesn't have any ins., is there some type of insurance for them? Is it COBRA that costs 1000/ a mo?

3. Here is my understanding of the third situation: a friend of the family in DR has applied for US residency maybe 10 yrs ago, his parents are in NYC, and the other day he recieved some papers in the mail. Im not quite sure what he recieved, but it has something to do with the residency process. I don't know what the papers say, but the friend asked my husband if he would be the "witness" in which my husband has to prove he makes over 25,000 a year or in 3 years or something, and i believe he would have to sign something....I was asking what exactly this 'paper' is, but he doesn't know. Does anyone know what it could be? And if my husband signed the paper, is this some paper that would make us responsible for the friend if he came over here? Its hard to understand bc my husband is here in US and the friend is in DR.

Any answers would be great!

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
mountainfrog said:
No witness, guarantor.
Let his parents sign.

m'frog

thats the first thing i said to my husband but apparently the signer has to make over 25,000 which his parents don't....this guy does alot for us, and my husband trusts him, but i would be mad if my husband signs something that makes him and me legally responsible for the friend, not that he's a bad guy, but you know what im talking about.....

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
AnnaC said:
You should never sign anything you do not understand.

Having to prove his income sounds like more than a witness.

...that was my first comment to my husband when he told me but we all know how hard headed dominicans are

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
The paper could be an Affidavit of Support, where you guarantee the US Government that the person being petition will not be a burden to the system. This commitment, seldom enforced, last for 3 years. It is very common in the Dominican community to ask a well to do, to provide the affidavit. In my case, I have declined to a request by a distant family member. You just never know when the gov't want to enforce the rules, and the person you vouch for is living off welfare, SSI or any other government program.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
If you are a US co-sponsor of a person trying to obtain citizenship in the USA you sign that you are responsible for expenses such as a large US hospital bill that the person cannot pay. This is the case until they become a citizen.
You also disclose your income.
We just had this discussion with an immirgration attorney.

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
drtampa said:
If you are a US co-sponsor of a person trying to obtain citizenship in the USA you sign that you are responsible for expenses such as a large US hospital bill that the person cannot pay. This is the case until they become a citizen.
You also disclose your income.
We just had this discussion with an immirgration attorney.

i don't think its citizenship bc he's never been to US hes been trying to get his residency and i believe thats what it is. but im not positive.
yes he would be disclosing his income, as he has to make so much in order to sign for whatever this paper is.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Interesting topic. If you come to a Schengen country (Europe) on a visitor/tourist visa having medical insurance in the EU for the time you will be staying there is an absolute requirement to get the visa. Is this not the case for the US? Doesn't everyone has to have insurance?

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Based on the OP, I agree with you. My family and I just went through this.

Stodgord said:
The paper could be an Affidavit of Support, where you guarantee the US Government that the person being petition will not be a burden to the system. This commitment, seldom enforced, last for 3 years. It is very common in the Dominican community to ask a well to do, to provide the affidavit. In my case, I have declined to a request by a distant family member. You just never know when the gov't want to enforce the rules, and the person you vouch for is living off welfare, SSI or any other government program.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Exactly!

Stodgord said:

There is no "could be" in this story. That paper IS an Affadavit of Support. No ifs, ands , or buts about it.

DO NOT SIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cuas

May 29, 2006
I met a woman that her brother in law petitioned and sponsored the whole family. They applied for Food Stamps. In the application there is a section that ask you if you have a sponsor. They completed it. INS called the sponsor. He was so angry. He told them, if you need food I buy food for you but how can you do this to me.

Another story. I did the paperwork for my best friend's mother. The affidavit of support said:
For 5 years until you become US citizen. or
you accumulate enough credit for Social Security, or
you leave the country.
She asked to sign the affidavit. I refused. Somebody did.
Now she wants her mother to apply for SSI. I told her you forgot what the affidavit says.

I will do it for a close family member, like parents, siblings, or their children because I know if they get sick, or have an emergency, my family will help.

Read the paper carefully and just think how responsible is that person. Will he pay the emergency room if emergency occurs?