Nickname Majey

jchan1

Feb 17, 2004
My bro in law's wife wants to use her husband's Dominican grandmama's nickname as a name for her baby (if it's a girl). Problem is, she doesn't know what it means and I can't find it either. It's pronounced ma-hay. Any ideas what it means or any negative connotations?

Thanks!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
jchan1 said:
My bro in law's wife wants to use her husband's Dominican grandmama's nickname as a name for her baby (if it's a girl). Problem is, she doesn't know what it means and I can't find it either. It's pronounced ma-hay. Any ideas what it means or any negative connotations?

Thanks!

the fact that it was your husbands grandmother's nickname suggests it could be a composite, of which the first syllable 'ma' could be from the abbreviation of 'mamá' (mother), and the other syllable 'hey' could be an abbreviation of the archaic 'agüela' (from abuela, or grandmother), and then shortened to 'gué', and together 'ma-gue' or ma-hay', in a similar process as the English term 'grandma' and 'gramma' for grandmother. Or maybe the nick could be from the aboriginal Taino word 'maguey', which means agave, a plant whose fibers were used to make textiles, and the sap to make alcoholic beverages...

jchan1

Feb 17, 2004
Thanks for your reply...I'll go with the second version since it was her nickname as a little girl. She grew up in the Dajabon near Loma de Cabrera, which is pretty country, right?

Thanks for the info!