Brining my dog to the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
This has probably been discussed some where but I was unable to locate any posts during my searches. I will be in the DR for a month this winter and am thinking of bringing my dog from Canada. I am trying to find out what documents I need to bring her with me...

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
Perfect thanks...now I just have to find out if I can get her back into Canada as easily....

K

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
kdeer said:
This has probably been discussed some where but I was unable to locate any posts during my searches. I will be in the DR for a month this winter and am thinking of bringing my dog from Canada. I am trying to find out what documents I need to bring her with me...

We brought our Golden Retriever from Canada when we moved down earlier this year. You require proof of updated vacinations as well a certificate of health issued within 14 days of your travel date. Check out the Air Transat web site as it has good details as well as the previously posted link.

If it is a larger dog we found that Air Canada would only ship via cargo and that they could not confirm until 24 hrs before flight if dog could go or not. Because of this we chose to fly Air Transat. Cost on Air Transat was $100 and cost cargo on Air Canada was over $700.

You will also have the dog and papers checked upon arrival in DR. The cost for this was 300 pesos (about $10).

Hope this is helpful. By the way what type of dog are you bringing? Sorry I cannot help you on information on getting your dog back into Canada. One tip on this I recd from our Cdn Vet was that you must ensure that you dog is microchipped so that they can prove upon arrival in Canada that it is the dog you say it is.

Best of luck and enjoy your trip...tom

G

gary short

If you brine your dog in DR you may be arrested for animal cruelty.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am getting the feeling that Gary Short playing with words!! Fortunately. There is no SPCA in the DR....

I recently read that small dogs can travel with the pax, in the cabin (-10 lbs)

If possible, have your local vet's health certification stamped by a Dominican consular agent. (Probably $10 or so) then you won't have to pay here. Same thing, so do what ever suits you best.

Be sure to bring your dog's medicines as they are very expensive here.

I really like that microchip idea!!

Good trip!

HB :D:D

Gary: There is a saying in golf club repair circles: measure twice, cut once.

I should have read this a lot closer: I got it! Brine a dog!!
Still, unless we are on Grammar Patrol, remember that the Good Folks of DR1 don't mock the writing of others....tsk, tsk...

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
Thanks for all the info. My son is flying on Air Transat so I will take a look at their requirements. The dog is a cocker spaniel (and she is microchipped already) but I suspect she will be too big to take in the cabin.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
kdeer said:
Thanks for all the info. My son is flying on Air Transat so I will take a look at their requirements. The dog is a cocker spaniel (and she is microchipped already) but I suspect she will be too big to take in the cabin.

I am sure a Cocker Spaniel will be too large for the cabin and on Air Transat only service animals are allowed in the cabin. Good to hear that you already have the microship. I believe you will have to go through the exact same process as I described above. Two links of relevance to you are:
http://www.airtransat.ca/en/4_2_6.asp
http://www.dominicanrepublic.com/Tourism/english/travelguide/traveling_with_pets.htm

Also Skyservice and WestJet do not allow pets to be transported so you are pretty well limited to Air Can and Air Transat...Tom
Tom

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Damn! it always happens to me! I have a Rottweiler bitch and I can't find a boy friend. I have a beautiful championship caliber German Shepard and no girlfriends. I have one of the horniest Chihuahuas in captivity and not a single "chihuahuita" around, and now we have a georgeous, sweetest-thing-you-ever-saw, Cocker with a pedigree a mile long that is looking for a "friend!! And you bring in more competition!! :p:p:p

Check the weight! She might fit.

Good flight!

HB :D:D

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
Thanks for all the info. I will check with Air Transat...as I mentioned my son is already booked with AT so he could bring her with him.

BTW - she is a beautiful - totally black - loves company - friendliest dog ever! She gets upset whenever we bring out the suitcases...I hate the thought of leaving her with someone else for a month.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Dog to DR for a month

I recommend making sure that all vaccinations are up to date before you leave including Rabies. Also I think you should take a faecal sample to your veterinarian a few weeks after you get back here to see if she's picked up any of the local (DR) worm parasites. If she shows any signs of illness when you return -- take her in for an examination. I'm not being alarmist, but there are a lot of stray dogs there that are likely to carry all sorts of nasties.

Have a good one and please post a review of your dog-travel experiences when you come back. We're thinking of doing the same sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.