Toronto Caribbean Festival (Caribana)

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
Just curious if anyone went, I saw one girl with a DR shirt on but other than her and my squad, that was the only Dominican support I saw. Still ,one hell of a party!!!

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
My hubby and kids went to the island party today, I can't wait til they get home with some details and pictures

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Caribana is traditionally organized and larger number of nations participating are from the former British West Indies, i.e. the English-speaking Caribbean islands such as Trinidad, Barbados, Jamaica, Antigua, Grenada, etc....that doesn't mean that others do not participate, however, that is the history.

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
Caribana is traditionally organized and larger number of nations participating are from the former British West Indies, i.e. the English-speaking Caribbean islands such as Trinidad, Barbados, Jamaica, Antigua, Grenada, etc....that doesn't mean that others do not participate, however, that is the history.

Nevertheless, still a Caribbean festival

Nov 5, 2004

If you ask most Jamaicans and other's from the "English speaking" Caribbean..they do not consider the Dominican Republic as part of the Caribbean.

They sold DR flags though..I had my two DR flags, and a few DR stickers that say "Soy Dominicano" I got from the Carnaval...and I was the only one I saw the whole time with anythin DR realated.

I also had a Haitian wrist band...(some of my best friends being Haitian gave to me, and I though I would rep Haiti too)...WOW you shoulda seen some of the strange looks I got from the Haitians there. There were LOTS of Haitians with their big flags wondering why this little white girl is reppin for Haiti an the DR!! :cheeky: LOL

It was great fun..some hot sexxy dancin too!!!! :D

nikke

Sep 19, 2005

Yes, this is true. Perhaps the Dominican community is too small here, I don't know, or perhaps they have other interests. I know that there were tons of Dominicans at Salsa on St. Clair just 3 weeks ago...

I think language is a factor too...and cultural connections...I don't know if Dominicans and other Caribbeans are particularly close. Caribbean culture is quite diverse. If you look at how physically close each island is in that region, you would be surprised to also see how distinct each island is and however small, Caribbeans are quite proud of those distinctions!

I can't speak on the behalf of organizers, but I know other islands are welcome. I have seen Cubans, Argentinians, Colombians and Brazilian representing! Perhaps Dominicans living in Toronto can shed some light on this

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Maybe next year!! I used to go religiously. Man I miss those times. A heck of a party indeed.